More advanced jungling- not making mistakes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sock Yourself

09-02-2012

So, I have been jungling Shyvana and really like her style. However, I believe I have done all I can to improve her as far as I can (right runes, defense mastery etc). My concern is that I am setting up my ganks wrong. If anyone could post a good guide or give some info that would be nice.

In particular, as an example, I had a game a little while back where Mord was mid and wouldn't put up any wards while pushing the cs with his Syphon of Destruction. Five times he overextended and five times I was insulted for not being there to gank. Is there any way that I could have helped him... some sort of trick that I havn't learned pre-6? I am curious because this isn't the only time it has happened and I would like to have that innate ability to be there at the right moment for the perfect gank.

Fs Son0fSilas

09-02-2012

Unfortunately, because he refused to let the lane push out there isn't much you could have done. Diving into an enemy tower is almost never a good idea, especially mid, as the enemy jungle can show up at almost anytime. Just keep telling him to watch for enemy ganks, and be ready to save him from himself. If he keeps blaming you, point out that he hasn't warded once, AND he is constently overextended and there is nothing you can do for him until he starts playing safer.

A special note to make is how effective Shyv is at counter jungling. If you do not have any gank opportunities, you have a good idea of where their team is, and you can safely make your way into the enemy jungle do so. You can steal a decent amount of gold and xp from a jungler that is unsuccessfuly ganking lanes. This however is a high risk high reward strategy. If a lane is getting too far behind you should try feeding them some kills. As a jungler you should focus on putting weaker lanes ahead of the enemy.

You can succeed in this simply by making your pressence known. Forcing an enemy Flash or other summoner spells will also give your teammate a slight advantage and can lead to future ganks.

Jurgrady

09-02-2012

Everything King said.

But also, there are plenty of guides on Solomid.net for many different junglers that will give you a good idea of what you should be doing.

Shyv doesn't have any cc so it's really hard for her to gank. But she has an extremely high movement speed, so you can get exhaust and smite instead of flash/ghost and smite, so that you have a better time with ganks.

She's really good at counter jungling as said above, which means going into their jungle and taking their camps. This puts them behind, and as long as you ward their jungle while you are in there you can usually do so safely as long as your lanes are playing well. Jungling is really one of the toughest roles to play in this game. (support being the other,) So it really takes a lot of practice to get the hang of it. I've been playing for almost a year now, and am just starting to get a hang of it.

TehomCD

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBlueSteel View Post
In particular, as an example, I had a game a little while back where Mord was mid and wouldn't put up any wards while pushing the cs with his Syphon of Destruction. Five times he overextended and five times I was insulted for not being there to gank. Is there any way that I could have helped him... some sort of trick that I havn't learned pre-6? I am curious because this isn't the only time it has happened and I would like to have that innate ability to be there at the right moment for the perfect gank.
When you get really experienced, you can get a very good sense for where the enemy jungler is likely to gank and be in the neighborhood to immediately come in and countergank. Warding for a mid who's braindead is something you can do too, and can be part of counterjungling.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is camp a lane in order to gank or countergank, if you're likely to win the fight with whoever is in that lane. That's always a big gamble, though, since you'll be really far behind if it doesn't work out. I often camp lanes too long, but sometimes it's the best thing you can do to prevent someone from ragequitting out if they're losing pretty hard.

MoreMedz

09-02-2012

I will start by saying that I am not a good jungler, so I am just making some comments based on what I have observed about junglers in my games.

Two things I see most often done by effective junglers (and done poorly by ineffective junglers) are:

a) Prioritising the right lane to gank. I think not every extending enemy warrants a gank, because sometimes, your allies might be quite comfortably farming a freezed lane. However, you should help a lane where your allies are having problem farming.

For example, say in a game where the top is being pushed pass the river, but the CS are about the same between the two champions, whereas the middle lane is not pushed, but your mid is behind on CS due to a bad matchup. It might be a good idea to help mid by harassing the other mid champion a little each time you pass by (without pushing the lane).

Of course, this varies from game to game. The idea is that you may be able to affect the resources of your team through means other than securing kills.

b) Finding a good balance between farming and ganking. I see plenty games where the junglers just farm all day, happily taking blue buffs and not doing a thing until he feels like it; then there are games where the jungler gets a few kills in early game, but gets completely outclassed in mid-late game due to complete focus on getting those kills.

Each ganking attempt by you is an investment that can cost you and your team time and gold. Some games are decided early, but many will go on significantly longer than 20 minutes. Keeping a good balance between farming and ganking will ensure that your effectiveness when you get there.

Sock Yourself

09-03-2012

Thank you all, this has been very informative.