More stats for norm mode = less trolls in ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MarlaMazzyHope

09-01-2012

I just read some guys simple solution to elo hell (which actually didn't seem simple) and it occurred to me that one way to pull some of the trolls out of ranked games might be to add more stat keeping to normal mode games. For normal mode what can I really see besides my win total and the stats of a specific game? We love stats, everyone clicks the victory or defeat button still eager to see where they stand among the other nine contestants.

Obviously different stats would be ideal, running the same stats as ranked would just make it...ranked. But stats like % of overall damage, % of damage to champs, towers, kills per minute, assists per minute, deaths per...you get the idea. Add in a ladder ranking page and you have fame for the infamous. Would be trolls in a ranked contest can now be number 16 overall in kills per minute per game, or number 3 over all in percent of damage to enemy champs per game. Normal mode is always adc/ap heavy with a splash of bruiser so tailor the stats to the style of gameplay and I think it works. The examples I used were just ones I think work independent of the length of the game. Ohhh, a stat for shortest victory times! Who's the mad nexus rusher?

I just recall a couple old favorites of mine, Doac and counter-strike had some very cool stat keeping and it kept me playing far longer than I would have if they hadn't.

Up vote and respond if you like the idea. I'd like to hear some more stat examples and see if people agree that stats are a big draw to this game. Or why this would crush the community and game entirely, I know those replies are coming.

Axiom Prime

09-02-2012

A simple role select option would allow the reporting of trolls and banning of them even more quickly. If we only had a way to select a role we wanted to queue for and a champ select report feature for anyone breaking the role they queued for would make it so much easier, especially if with 3 votes that game was dodged without penalty and you were replaced in the queue where as the person that was reported receives a 30 minute queue penalty.

Obviously this only works for ranked as Normal and Draft normal are filled with troll teams and such and would only get people falsely reported. At least in Solo/Duo Queue they would need 1 more person minimum to agree the person is trolling or violating his role select.

Ohasis

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VargasX87 View Post
A simple role select option would allow the reporting of trolls and banning of them even more quickly. If we only had a way to select a role we wanted to queue for and a champ select report feature for anyone breaking the role they queued for would make it so much easier, especially if with 3 votes that game was dodged without penalty and you were replaced in the queue where as the person that was reported receives a 30 minute queue penalty.

Obviously this only works for ranked as Normal and Draft normal are filled with troll teams and such and would only get people falsely reported. At least in Solo/Duo Queue they would need 1 more person minimum to agree the person is trolling or violating his role select.

I think it's already been addressed that there's no way to implement a 'role select' before queuing up because it would essentailly lock the meta and innovation would be impossible.

TeddyTeemo

09-02-2012

there are plenty of trolls in normal already. I know because I have to put up with them all the time. I gave up ranked games from the beginning because I get trolled 99% of the time in ranked.
Just need to make the punishment higher against trolls.
Like 6 months ban or something, that will teach them.

MarlaMazzyHope

09-02-2012

But what do you guys think of bringing the stats I talked about? Even if it didnt have a huge effect on trolls in ranked, I still think it would add to the game

Axiom Prime

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohasis View Post
I think it's already been addressed that there's no way to implement a 'role select' before queuing up because it would essentailly lock the meta and innovation would be impossible.

Not neccessarily, what I'm talking about is simply queuing up for a lane, not saying I want to take ADC Bot, you could still go APC Bot with such and such, or talk to your team and tell them this is your plan if they disagree then you should probably play the way they are comfortable with if not and you choose to do whatever they can kick you. But allowing everyone to queue for a specific Lane with unlimited Champion combinations wouldn't change anything about meta innovation, it would just force people to talk or be kicked from the group.

You queue for Solo top and say you want to take an AP carry top like Ahri, if your team agree's you can go for it, the first 3 kicks will be forgiven with no penalty, and then they subsequently get longer by say 5 minutes each with no cap.

I could see how you could get that, but this way provides a buffer and a discouragement for trolls. Cutting them off at the head instead of letting the game pass and letting people suffer through it with no recourse. It would also prevent Duo queue trolling in ranked as all you would need is the other three people to vote kick one of them, then they get forced out and have to wait for their buddy. If two groups of Duo queue it prevents them from kicking anyone without at least a 3rd neutral party to decide.

So basically, Lane select before Queue forcing you to talk to your teammates if you want to try something crazy and get there approval before doing it, a 3 vote kick system that allows players to remove trolls and re-queue without a dodge penalty. I see not a single problem, it promotes team communication, still allows for meta diversity, and discourages trolls much more than the current system. Use the current meta as the base layout, 2 bot 1 mid 1 top and 1 Jungle, and in Champ select you can talk it out if you want to try something different. It's not locking out any champions at all, which would definitely be limiting the meta. But merely calling your lane and having everyone understand that this is the lane you're doing. The only real reason for a role select would be for Bot lane but thats easily countered by having an option that let's you tick specifically for support. I see plenty of people even in my low Elo that call support right off the bat. So if you select Bot lane you have a way to specifically queue for support, the system can take that into effect and place you with a bot lane partner that doesn't want to support.

ragnaraq

09-02-2012

I see why you would post this. But it is flawed, as all new ideas for the ELO system. What of the people who highly contribute to the game, but their stats look bad? Someone could win the game without having roflstomp stats etc.

MarlaMazzyHope

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnaraq View Post
I see why you would post this. But it is flawed, as all new ideas for the ELO system. What of the people who highly contribute to the game, but their stats look bad? Someone could win the game without having roflstomp stats etc.
Which is exactly why I'm suggesting it for normal mode, because its more for casual play, practicing a new champ, learning spanish, or playing with friends. So put the "Look at me!" stats in normal and the teamplay stats in ranked.

Axiom Prime

09-03-2012

bump

djViceroy

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VargasX87 View Post
So basically, Lane select before Queue forcing you to talk to your teammates if you want to try something crazy and get there approval before doing it, a 3 vote kick system that allows players to remove trolls and re-queue without a dodge penalty. I see not a single problem, it promotes team communication, still allows for meta diversity, and discourages trolls much more than the current system. Use the current meta as the base layout, 2 bot 1 mid 1 top and 1 Jungle, and in Champ select you can talk it out if you want to try something different. It's not locking out any champions at all, which would definitely be limiting the meta. But merely calling your lane and having everyone understand that this is the lane you're doing. The only real reason for a role select would be for Bot lane but thats easily countered by having an option that let's you tick specifically for support. I see plenty of people even in my low Elo that call support right off the bat. So if you select Bot lane you have a way to specifically queue for support, the system can take that into effect and place you with a bot lane partner that doesn't want to support.

I recently began to do normal drafts because I thought it would promote communication between the team so everyone would have an idea who is playing mid, top, and bot.

Hoping the draft format would prevent auto-locking champs became a big disappointment fast. I ended up with the worst team comps imaginable during my first few games. I would ask what roles everyone wanted to fill, so we could be on the same page, and how I would fill-in whatever needed to. Hardly anyone would even respond. No one cared about a good team comp, but rather just auto-locked a random champ they just bought a skin for.

I understand we should not be locked into the current "Meta", but what is the point of doing a draft if the team refuses to communicate basic info like what lane they are aiming for. Even allowing a small amount of time for the team to initially communicate before the bans are picked could help. Ive delt with people who just not respond fast enough about what lane they want to play and I end up with choosing a champ I would have never used for the lane I am now being forced into.

Also the lack of knowledge about basic game mechanics in relation to Normal Draft is mind boggling. For instance, in the team chat during the ban process we were trying to determine who was going to which lane. There was much confusion in relation to the lingo of League players. Terms like ADC and even bot confused a player so much they locked in a support (sona) after the support (soraka) was already locked. Maybe if Riot could educate players a bit more on the current meta and terms in its most basic form for new players who do not take the time to read up on LoL. (which everyone should but most don't)

Basic things like the concepts behind top, mid and bot lane. They should not say, these attack damage carries along with these 4 supports make up bot lane and so on.

I agree Riot should keep their hand off the Meta and leave it up to the community. On the other hand I do with their was a way Riot could inform new players about the basic concepts of the meta beyond what you learn in the tutorial.

Good discussion that will continue on through the life of League of Legends.