What if there was a story mode

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GongadonII

09-01-2012

As the title suggests, we could see how each individual champ came to be and play through their lore. Would take a LOT of time to play through but would be really fun to play as your favorite champ in a story of how they came to be a league champion. Any thoughts?

Leotamer

09-01-2012

It would be cool as its on game, not in the lol engine and game.

GongadonII

09-01-2012

Yeah, would be tricky to make but fun to see. I've been getting into more story oriented games lately. I can't seem to get myself into the League's lore for some reason. Maybe the presentation of it isn't direct enough for me.

Oug

09-01-2012

A single-player story mode would require at more than 100 hours of scripted game play if each champion was given a 1 hour game play segment.

That's more than even most RPG's, much less a MOBA.

While it would be fun, I just can't see Riot making that big of an investment/risk when they already have the most popular game in the world to continually upgrade.

Otherwise, I found the League of Legends lore easier to get into when they were actively releasing the JoJ and especially had the Noxus vs Ionia match. Even my friends who didn't follow the lore at all decided to watch that match. Furthermore, even though the JoJ was fairly limited in scope, I could wait for the next release in anticipation.

Right now, there isn't much to be excited about...

Xenophontes555

09-01-2012

hell if they did do this...i would play it...i would play it for all champs

my friend who plays this game with me says there is no real lore in this game...they make 0 effort other than put descriptions on each champ and the cancelled JoJ

If they did this it would show that LoL does have lore...and i love lore in games so im down with this idea

NullAurelian

09-06-2012

Personally, I wouldn't have a single player story mode as opposed to a series similar to the Noxus-Ionia matches (unlikely as they would be), except spanning hundreds of games.

Another company does (did? IDK) something similar: Games Workshop at one point asked the community to 'write the lore' by sending the results of their game in to be recorded. The result was the "Fall of Medusa" campaign.

So I would suggest something similar for League. Every so often, set up a small plot with a fixed roster of champions on each side (say about 10?). Ask the player base to send in the results of these custom matches, and then create a bit of lore that, while would be overall inconsequential to the current lore, be satisfying for these of us who want a bit more than stomping the other side.

Prabjot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2012

I was thinking of this a few months ago. Instead of making it based on the current lore, why not make a new story where you have to play as a champion in the game (Not the same champion every time).We could play a match in the current engine but make a cut scene before and after the battle to explain what is going on. I was thinking that some parts of the storyline could be playable with bots or with a friend. This would add a new level of interest to the game.

STRONGsummoner

09-07-2012

They could make it so that each week or month they release a "chapter" where you play as a champion through a lore segment of an ongoing story. Almost like how Blizzard does with their RTS games.

For example, the first chapter of the story mode could star Gangplank, pillaging the seas until he comes across something like a prototype ironclad vessel developed by Piltover and is defended by Jayce. Gangplank steals the ship, and the next mission has Jayce attempting to track the stolen machine, but has a run-in with Darius as he leads a battalion of soldiers, and from there the story basically kicks off as more champions get involved, the plot picks up, and the conflict escalates.

Bebechaman

07-24-2013

I've done it on Warcraft 3 Custum map. Check out my post: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=3697278

It's really nice, but amateur like... send me an email so I can send it back to you.
(114 champ is a lot)

iamwhoimnot

07-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oug View Post
A single-player story mode would require at more than 100 hours of scripted game play if each champion was given a 1 hour game play segment.

That's more than even most RPG's, much less a MOBA.

While it would be fun, I just can't see Riot making that big of an investment/risk when they already have the most popular game in the world to continually upgrade.

Otherwise, I found the League of Legends lore easier to get into when they were actively releasing the JoJ and especially had the Noxus vs Ionia match. Even my friends who didn't follow the lore at all decided to watch that match. Furthermore, even though the JoJ was fairly limited in scope, I could wait for the next release in anticipation.

Right now, there isn't much to be excited about...
Um... I wouldn't say that there's ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to be excited about. It would be cool, but I would have to agree with you- it would be very hard to create a different story game for each champion. If they do want to create some sort of thing for each champion on the computer though, I would say that maybe they could make a short animation for specific champions that users vote for over the years.