Who counters Veigar on mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

first time Vayne

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanthear View Post
mid veigar is one of the hardest characters to play against (imo). So, what do you think?
---
Galio is a good option but I don't like him.
AD burst like Talon noms Veigar all game long. Save your cutthroat for after he stuns you and tries to run.

People will hate me for violating meta, but Volibear is an incredible Veigar counter in mid. He's too tanky for Veigar to damage significantly in early level without wasting that farm q. Open with magic resist, and even that can't hurt you. Your q can keep up with him and set you up for nasty auto attack and bite damage. It's disgusting. Be agressive and exploit your early advantage, and you'll set him back for the whole game. Probably force their jungler to camp you, taking stress off your team, too. And Volibear is great at escaping ganks.

Few people will try that, though. Look at Teemo for his mobility, Lux for her cc, Gragas for his tankiness, and Ziggs for his range. (I've been harping on Ziggs being a good pro pick for so long. Just wait. Haha)

Good luck!

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

So... wtf...

Not one person has mentioned Ryze yet?

Ryze is the anti-Veigar in every possible way.

Ryze's abilities scale with MANA, so you're building mana, mana, mana and drastically increasing the amount of damage you do without building any AP. Meanwhile, all the items that have mana on them tend to also have health, magic resist, or armor.

So by the time you've finally built plenty of mana and you turn your Tear into Archangel's Staff to give your AP a massive boost and start doing A LOT more damage, you've already built up a TON of health and resistances.

t0ad5

11-01-2012

Ryze is a good bet.

Doesn't have to go overboard on AP due to passive, and if V misses the gate, can stand still and spam damage.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ad5 View Post
Ryze is a good bet.

Doesn't have to go overboard on AP due to passive, and if V misses the gate, can stand still and spam damage.
Ryze's passive actually just reduces the cooldown on all his abilities every time he uses an ability (which by the way, means you can use ult more like once every 20-30 seconds rather than 50/60/70 seconds).

All of the abilities scale to mana however (much like Volibear's W scales to health).

Omicron Austin

11-01-2012

Katarina is an excellent pick. She can zone him out really hard early on, she can shunpo through his stun on occasion, she has no problems rushing an abyssal scepter early and is already fairly tanky enough to withstand his burst generally, especially if you manage to shunpo beforehand to get that 15% damage reduction.

Leblanc is also a good choice, but she falls off while Katarina doesn't.

Technician Tim

11-01-2012

you can send an ad champ mid, then his ult loses half its power

even a melee would work, imagine darius grabbing the little *******, hes done

leblanc is a terrible counter for viegar, as after lv 6 he can kill you with 2 clicks (q/r)

katarina is a decent counter, as avoiding dark matter is super easy, and you can shunpo over his stun, once you hit him, hes done

ryze is really the original counter to vieg though, dat mana scaling

Omicron Austin

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharles07 View Post
leblanc is a terrible counter for viegar, as after lv 6 he can kill you with 2 clicks (q/r)
I'd say that's untrue, as she can basically do the same thing but faster and with a silence.

Also take into account the fact that she's almost guaranteed to hit 6 before him because of how hard he'll be zoned out in the beginning.

Grollm

11-01-2012

I disagree with some of the posters being as I play both Veigar and Ryze. Ryze doesn't counter Veigar but he will be on par with you. Veigars burst is faster and does more damage in a shorter period of time. If you can survive his first burst he's pretty much useless for about 10 seconds where you as Ryze can proceed to chunk him. But if he's a good Veigar he will run until he can land his w e q combo and f you lived through the first burst you are defintely dead this time. Veigar is very fragile and his only escape is also his only initiate. Play a gap closer like Fizz, Kat, or Swain and you will wreck him.

Omicron Austin

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grollm View Post
I disagree with some of the posters being as I play both Veigar and Ryze. Ryze doesn't counter Veigar but he will be on par with you. Veigars burst is faster and does more damage in a shorter period of time. If you can survive his first burst he's pretty much useless for about 10 seconds where you as Ryze can proceed to chunk him. But if he's a good Veigar he will run until he can land his w e q combo and f you lived through the first burst you are defintely dead this time. Veigar is very fragile and his only escape is also his only initiate. Play a gap closer like Fizz, Kat, or Swain and you will wreck him.
Something to consider is that a core item on Ryze is Banshee's Veil, which is a very, very good item against Veigar.

Grollm

11-01-2012

That's a given and that is how I build Ryze. But if Veigar is smart he will q your banshees wait for for q to come off cd then full combo you.