@ RiotNome/Vesh/ricklessabandon: Some civil questions about Season 3/Dom

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tortferngatr

08-30-2012

GD mirror (contains questions meant for the higher-profile reds that lurk GD more often than they post in the Dominion forum, along with questions related more to general activity and the like. If we want Morello to know we want him posting in here, ask away!)

First of all: PLEASE do not post snide, sarcastic, insulting, trolling, or "rage" comments. This is meant to be a simple, welcoming thread to let people ask Riot about the changes we'll see to League's secondary modes, and let Riot respond as best they can.

Riot's philosophy is to provide an awesome game experience first, and this thread (along with the GD mirror) is meant to help promote discussion of how we can expect Riot to shake things up to ensure Dominion (and Twisted Treeline/Proving Grounds) are, like Summoner's Rift before them, awesome game experiences.

Thus, let's kick this off and ask some questions! Note that this specific thread is meant for Reds who are known to be fairly involved in Dominion, especially nice lurkers who would ordinarily be turned off by some of our more annoying posts. (yes, for the last time, Riot knows many of us want a ranked mode!) Other reds can still contribute, but make sure questions you post here are optimized to the Dominion reds! Questions meant for reds who aren't known for activity here should go in the GD mirror!

One final note: Stay positive everyone!

Let the questions begin!

1. Are QoL changes to Fury and Energy on Dominion incoming? Kennen is awesome, but his sustain kind of goes to waste.

2. Could champion-specific changes on Dominion that do NOT produce a significant burden of knowledge issue for opponents and players (for example, increasing the distance clear needed for non-Flash blinks to pass through a wall, reducing Jayce's early-game damage or ratios, changing Veigar's/Nasus's Q's in a way that lets them be powerful late game with less reliance on farming) be utilized as part of Riot's balancing strategy? I understand why Riot doesn't want to overhaul champions on Dominion, but it does seem like minor tweaks that do not fundamentally alter champion playstyle or counterplay would be good ways to help ensure balance for certain outliers (such as Jayce.)

More questions coming soon, I have to go now, heh.

lbgsloan

08-30-2012

Okay, I have a few:
1. Are there any summoner/mastery changes planned that would be of specific interest to Dominon players? Revive issue aside, there are many masteries that are useless on Dominion such as the tower related ones, Mercenary, and Sage due to the unneccesary 50% reduction. Also most of the utility tree in general really. More viable options are needed instead of nearly everyone going 21/9 or 9/21.

2. Are there any changes planned to the map layout itself? Bottom lane usually ends up as a big boring stalemate because there isn't much incentive to try and capture it; due both to the proximinty of the points to the spawn and revive making it too easy for a bottom laner to recover from a death. Also it is generally too difficult for the bottom laner to get anywhere else to help their team out without giving the enemy bot a free cap. The result is that they are stuck there as guard dogs all game, and rarely feel like they contributed much to the outcome of the game unless they really crushed their opponent.

3. Are there plans to add more quests or bonus objectives to the map?

HaIfhearted

08-30-2012

I would like to know if there is any word on removing the point system.

The current point system is highly inaccurate and misleading, oftentimes having no actual relevance to actual overall contributions, and from what I've heard sometimes misleads lower level players into playing in less-than-optimal ways.

I know there was some discussion awhile back about revamping the point system, but the general consensus at the end was that it's mostly impossible.

Phourc

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
I know there was some discussion awhile back about revamping the point system, but the general consensus at the end was that it's mostly impossible.
I think the consensus on that was that high level dominion players don't care about points - and with good reason, no point system can accurately show your contribution to the team.

RiotNome, however, felt it was necessary as an entry point to help new players understand the objectives of this game mode.

Basically, if someone is posting here, they're probably beyond the need for the point system, but it does serve a purpose.

HaIfhearted

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
RiotNome, however, felt it was necessary as an entry point to help new players understand the objectives of this game mode.

Basically, if someone is posting here, they're probably beyond the need for the point system, but it does serve a purpose.
This is the reason I believe that the point system should be removed.

It is supposed to be a teaching tool, yet it is wildly inaccurate, which just results in teaching newer players bad habits which will screw them over later.

If the point system wasn't doing any harm, I'd be fine with keeping it around as a joke.
Sadly, that is not the case, and thus it should be taken out of the game.

lbgsloan

08-31-2012

As said I don't think there's any tweaking they can do to make score a useful measure of contribution. If bottom lane doesn't see many ganks, it's pretty normal to see both bottom laners in last place all game. IMO that doesn't help at all with the perception that bottom lane sucks, and the big reason why you'll see people autolock 4 bruisers or carries in soloq that aren't very good bot; it's effectively like typing in, "Not bot." when you do that. From the number of QQ posts you see every so often from new players about, "I have the highest score but lose..." the broken scoring is NOT helping new players get better.

Aetherion1234567

08-31-2012

I have only one question to add: are there any large changes planned for itemization so as to encourage the use of AD and AP carries in addition to tanky derps? (If my impression of AD/AP carries here is wrong, please feel free to contradict me.) If you Rioters can't give specifics, that's fine. I'd settle just for a heads up to let us know it's on your radar and it's being worked on/considered.

DevlJoe

08-31-2012

My question is, why are there still helpful newbie tips popping up at the start of every match when I have already played dominion hundreds of times? Am I missing the option to turn them off? I don't think I am.

HaIfhearted

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherion1234567 View Post
(If my impression of AD/AP carries here is wrong, please feel free to contradict me.)
Yep, its wrong ^_^

Ranged AP's, particularly Zyra, Brand, Swain, Zyra, Cass, or Nid, get used extremely often in the weekly tourney.
I personally enjoy playing Brand, and getting to use him in tourneys makes me happy.

Ezreal is one of the strongest champions in the mode, and is frequently first-picked.
Koggles and Vayne also see a fair bit of play, with Derpgot being banned more often than not.

Phourc

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
From the number of QQ posts you see every so often from new players about, "I have the highest score but lose..." the broken scoring is NOT helping new players get better.
The rebuttal to that would be that if they're asking for help on the forum they're already in the upper strata of novices.

Potentially it's helping the people below them realize 'maybe I should play like that guy.' xP