Armor Pen VS Flat AD

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ViperKilo

08-31-2012

i might be in the wrong board, but who cares.

From a damage stand point, what pays off more.
Damage runes, or armor penetration rune?

Kagami

08-31-2012

Arp is better mid-late game(or if opponents have REALLY low armor), while AD is better early game and better for last hitting.

ViperKilo

08-31-2012

specifically, im running pure ad jungle evelynn.
is there any way to translate damage you get per point ARP?

Kagami

08-31-2012

For jungling you might want to take 10-20 Arp(4-14 w/6 from masteries) to get the best damage early game, though Evelynn specifically all AD might be better simply because the scaling on Hate Spike.

67chrome

09-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperKilo View Post
i might be in the wrong board, but who cares.

From a damage stand point, what pays off more.
Damage runes, or armor penetration rune?
Ugh, I made a spread-sheet a while ago were I tired assigning a cost value to all the runes to answer questions like these, but it seems I didn't transfer it to my current computer. Also patches have changed rune attributes since then, and Armor Penetration is on so few items it's hard to assign a value to it. Due to the variable nature of Armor it's effectiveness also changes depending on who you're fighting, so everything below is based largely off of memory.

From a pure DPS standpoint Attack Damage will give you a higher boost in DPS from the start, especially if you go for the flat bonus.

Armor Penetration doesn't trail it by to much, though Attack Speed is also (initially) a better AD booster as well.

The reason to get Armor Penetration is largely based on how attributes stack multiplicativly. At a certain point multiplying the effectiveness of attack damage by investing in armor penetration, attack speed, critical strike chance, or critical strike damage becomes significantly more effective than continually stacking attack damage.
Basically, if you get a B.F. sword as one of your first items or plan on upgrading to a pretty solid AD item as soon as possible you'll get more mileage out of Armor Penetration.

Armor Penetration won't reduce targets below 0 armor as well, which is something to keep in mind. All jungle monsters and champions should have enough armor to begin with that this is generally never a problem, or if it is not for very long. The biggest loss on armor penetration is against minions early on - they start with little enough the 6 armor pen in masteries will partially go to waste.

IonDragonX

09-01-2012

Generally, Armor pen is bad early game, flat AP is fine.
Flat AP becomes fine late game and Armor pen gets very good.

The amount of damage that you deal with a hit/spell is important to factor in. If you are already in the 200+ damage range, you should get attack speed or armor pen to increase the effective dps.

Thubgar

09-01-2012

eve wants flat AD because she converts it into magic damage. arpen won't benefit your skills. she's also a very gank centric jungle so you want the early power.

in general, AD casters want damage. penetration provides a % increase in damage, and until high level your 2 other skills won't go much more damage like that.
AD carries and the like want arpen. you're going to buy heaps of AD just by getting your core items, and you'll likely have only 1 AD scaling skill if that.

ViperKilo

09-01-2012

thats what i though,i dont have much problem mid/late game since i usually get black cleaver and ghost blade.
ty for the assist