When to buy runes?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

50 Percent

08-30-2012

I have been reading up on guides on what runes to buy for what champs and what not, but I'm just curious because I'm not a high enough level to buy the greater runes yet, should I bother buying the bad versions of these or just wait for the greater versions you get at level 20?

Please post your opinion on the matter.

Isamichi

08-30-2012

hey 50%!

It's best to save your IP for the Greater Runes at level 20.

Buying Tier 2 runes and converting them later into Tier 3 runes isn't wise. you can save IP by doing so. HOWEVER, after combining runes, what you get after is completely random. Therefore, you have a very high % chance to waste your IP because you got a very useless rune. Naturally, you can get a VERY GOOD rune for way less but the % chance and # of times to do it makes it very cost-inefficient

Fs Son0fSilas

08-30-2012

^^^

Pretty much this, not only will you not be able to upgrade them to tier 3 effectively, you will also be wasting ip that could go towards a new champ or said tier 3 runes.

A lot of unskilled smurfs (people who can't cut it passed 30) will go and play on a new account. Thinking they know everything they often give poor advice, keep this in mind and take a lot of what they with a grain of salt.

If I were to go smurf I would actually buy runes, bare in mind I know what runes work best on what champs. (That and I'm always willing to spend money on this game, so I wouldn't be apposed to purchasing boosts and ****e.)

It can still be hard buying runes even after 20, you only have 2 pages, and you want to have basic pages. Many players will have multiple pages, built specifically for each champ they play.

Asderition

08-30-2012

Also, invest in more rune pages. I cannot tell you how much of a difference it made for me.

50 Percent

08-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilas View Post
^^^

Pretty much this, not only will you not be able to upgrade them to tier 3 effectively, you will also be wasting ip that could go towards a new champ or said tier 3 runes.

A lot of unskilled smurfs (people who can't cut it passed 30) will go and play on a new account. Thinking they know everything they often give poor advice, keep this in mind and take a lot of what they with a grain of salt.

If I were to go smurf I would actually buy runes, bare in mind I know what runes work best on what champs. (That and I'm always willing to spend money on this game, so I wouldn't be apposed to purchasing boosts and ****e.)

It can still be hard buying runes even after 20, you only have 2 pages, and you want to have basic pages. Many players will have multiple pages, built specifically for champ they play.

I probably should of given more information I have already spent some real money on the game and have bought wukong (who I plan to use for awhile) and have read countless guides on him all of wich telling me to go with the same runes (these runes being the tier 3 ofc) I have just been saving up my IP and don't really intend to buy any champs with it any time soon, would the just wait to level 20 advice still be the same? (just curious because you said you would buy runes prior to level 20)

Isamichi

08-30-2012

^: for now, i recommend buying general runes for general roles for champs.

For example, have a dedicated page you can use for all AD carry champs or a page usable for all bruisers, ap, and junglers.

after having more epxerience and IP from playing, you can buy specific runes for your main champions.

Fs Son0fSilas

08-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Percent View Post
I probably should of given more information I have already spent some real money on the game and have bought wukong (who I plan to use for awhile) and have read countless guides on him all of wich telling me to go with the same runes (these runes being the tier 3 ofc) I have just been saving up my IP and don't really intend to buy any champs with it any time soon, would the just wait to level 20 advice still be the same? (just curious because you said you would buy runes prior to level 20)
Wait until 20

Durzaka

08-30-2012

im very disappointed no one has said to buy tier 1 runes.

They are very cheap and can offer nice boosts for new players.
But what everyone says about tier 2 is right. Dont buy those.

And dont buy many tier 1s either.

Fs Son0fSilas

08-30-2012

^^^ that's what I meant when I said IF I made a smurf account. I would buy runes because if feel it'd be fairly easy to earn the IP for them.

Where OP is at now, he should just wait.

Kades

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate QA Analyst - Gameplay

08-30-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I would buy tier 1 runes and then tier 3 runes. It's just my personal preference, but you get a lot of 'rune for your money' with tier 1- and then as soon as you hit level 20, start buying the tier 3 runes. You can 'combine' your old runes if you'd like, since you probably won't need them after you get their tier 3 equivalent.