Life Steal Vs Spell Vamp: The Great Debate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Comrade Morpheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2010

I am noticing a lot of Spell Vamp threads, and want to put my thoughts out there to why Spell Vamp is so horrible.

Lets first take a look at the items.

-Life steal can be bought as a starting item. It may not be a good idea for most character, but the option still exists.
-There are two starting items that give life steal. (Life steal at level 1)
-The Bloodthirster is the highest single AD item in the game, AND gives life steal.
-Starks Aura for DPS is so much better than WotA Aura for Mages. Starks also has a debuff for the enemies.
-There is a lifesteal item for every DPS or "Attack" stat in the game. (AD, Attack Speed, Armor Pen, Crit)

vs

-Spell Vamp cost 1200, and depending on game/character, probably won't be bought before level 6-7
-Gunblade is a better item for a Mage to get than WotA, despite Gunblade's "hybrid" status. It gives more AP and slightly less Spell Vamp.
-For Mages, Spellvamp only gives one stat, AP.

Now for the real deal, why Spell Vamp isn't that great.

-Due to Most Mage's "bursty" nature, Spell Vamp isn't that great of a stat.
-Life Steal is a great stat for any DPS, the reason why it has its own category in the shop.
-Life steal is always there, just waiting for you to attack, Spell Vamp has cooldowns tied to it.

Can't really think of anything else, but it seems like the core issue is that Spell Vamp sucks compared to Life steal, and there isn't a lot you can do with it.

Swampf0x

09-17-2010

Earlier, I was trying to think of atleast one champ that has a low cooldown magical damage ability that could benefit from spell vamp THE MOST.

I could only come up with Akali and Vladimir.

FunkyBacon

09-17-2010

problem is the skills that would really benefit from it have too long cooldown or are AoE attacks with reduced health gain making them give not much health at all unless hitting more targets than you want to be close to (unless it's minions/creeps).

Tennessee

09-17-2010

Doesn't Evelyn and Karthus both have them as well?

Comrade Morpheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2010

Evelyn has a two target skill, which cuts in half the spell vamp she gets.
Karthus is AoE so it gets half as well, but it is spammable.

That is another thing I forgot to mention about Spell Vamp. Life steal is a percent, period. You get that much of how much damage you did. Spell Vamp gets cut in half even if you hit one thing with an AoE spell.

DepTii

09-17-2010

Apparently spell vamp can be good for Mordekaiser. He would then get healed while also regenerating his shield, and all his stuff is on a low cooldown.

jokull

09-17-2010

i like spell vamp on morgana to make her passive even crazier. with will of the ancients i get 50% spellvamp on binding, and nothing is funnier than dealing 500 damage and gaining back 250.

Blue101

09-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampf0x View Post
Earlier, I was trying to think of atleast one champ that has a low cooldown magical damage ability that could benefit from spell vamp THE MOST.

I could only come up with Akali and Vladimir.
there are a few more, people like fiddle or ww get extra health gain on their lifesteally spells, Morgana can get to 50% spell vamp easy very helpful even with the 1/3 reduction on multi-target spells.

there are Manny more that could use it well if it were cheaper. or helped cool downs...

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

09-17-2010

Lifesteal >>>>>>>>>>>>> Spell Vamp right now.

Not even a question.

Dimensionist

09-18-2010

What is this spell vamp you speak of again?