My typical Kayle build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klinkin

11-14-2009

My thought on the build is "not enough HP regen/stacking." Until Frozen Heart, you're basically a mana machine, which is more of a caster build thing without the AP. It's an interesting build, but I would reccomend some more defensive or offensive items instead of all utility.

WhyFye

11-14-2009

I'm a bit confused. I didn't mention any items, just the skills.

For items though: I usually go: Bead/Charm (I think I got this from your guide; not sure) and health pot then Philo Stone, Berserker Greaves, Sunfire Cloak. After this I usually go Aegis of the Legion and then Wit's End if there are lotsa casters. Straight to Frozen Heart if there are lotsa assassins/crit enemies.

I usually go around protecting the best killers of the team; slowing enemies and accelerating allies.

I dunno though. I'm just a beginner.

Dagda

11-14-2009

WhyFye, Klinkin was talking to me. My response is that being a mana machine generally lets me use Divine Blessing to keep my health at comfortable levels until late game. Of course, taking more defensive/offensive items would allow me to rank up Righteous Fury first and farm more effectively early game. Do you have an alternative item build you'd suggest for that?

Edit: It occurs to me that Soul Shroud might actually make an excellent first item for Kayle. I'll have to try it out.

Klinkin

11-14-2009

Soul Shroud is a must for Kayle, especially if you're going for a mana machine build. I find that Blessing is underpowered as a heal as far as heals go; compared to Taric or Soraka, Kayle's strengths do not lie in healing. That being said, you get a nice MS boost from it, but Blessing doesn't have the power to be able to sustain you unless you get cd redux and armor/magic resist.
As for an alternate item build, see my guide for a tank/support Kayle, where I cover most useful items for Kayle. To sum it up, start with Regrowth Pendant, upgrade to Philo Stone, then get Ninja Tabi. After that, I always go Soul Shroud. If I'm practically invulnerable at this point, I might invest in damage or attack speed, but usually I'll go with a Warmog's followed by an Atma's, Sunfire, or Frozen Mallet.

WhyFye

11-15-2009

Thanks for clearing that up Dagda. Soul shroud. Ok guys I;; try it out.

Warmog first? Then Atma? Isn't that a very expensive path? Meanwhile while saving for that item, a lot of things could happen. How about going double Atma after Soul Shroud? Crit and armor.

MajorChipHazzard

11-15-2009

I'm going to have to try this all out, but I was theorycrafting of ways to make Kayle a viable support/tank while also dealing respectable DPS at the same time. The build I came up with was:

Chalice of Harmony
Boots 1
Soul Shroud
Mercury's Treads (Berserkers if you don't need the MR.. Tabi if they're very physical heavy but you're going to have a lot of armor at the end)
Warmog's Armor
Stark's Fervor
Atma's Impaler
[if the game is still going, sub out soul shroud for a phantom dancer]

This puts you at a bit under 1/2 the auto attack DPS of a fully geared carry but you're going to have good survivability, all the aura effects from Stark's, team c/d reduction, and good survivability. The only thing I'm worried about is chalice being sufficient for mana sustainability, but I'd personally be willing to sacrifice the staying power of mana-heavy builds for extra damage. It might take some playstyle adjustments (for instance always keeping enough mana for ult) but I'll report back when I give this a try.

Also would Kayle be a viable candidate for a hybrid build? Nashor's/Triforce/Rageblade seems like it could work well on Kayle.

WhyFye

11-16-2009

Your first five items are purely defensive and fit well with Kayle's role as a tanker. However, as a first-time player, I would like to ask: what do tankers do when they find out that the team's champion killers arent doing their job? Type "GG"?

This is what frustrates me ---- I rank up assist scores, save their sorry asses countless times with ult and speed/slow but we lose the game as they get overconfident or just plain suck. (Not saying I'm not a noob myself but it turns out ok if I assist AND the DPS people have good teamwork/teamkill skills.)

EDIT: Warmog's Armor + smite = (semi-)win?

Epistemic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-17-2009

Dagda it seems that we play Kayle very similarly. I usually play with a pre-made of 2 others, and lane with Singed. Because of this I max Reconing first, then Divine Blessing, grabbing a point in Divine Fury at level 4. Through this I help out my teammates with both damage and a slow, and I can give them a speed buff. The 1 point in Divine Fury allows me to get last hits on running enemies (you'd be surprised how many people I've killed that would otherwise have gotten away), especially if I Divine Blessing myself. Tower diving with Divine Intervention is also super fun, haha.

Because I focus on support, I usually start with the Mana Manipulator, which boosts my lanemate's mana regen, and is also a pre-req for Soul Shroud. After this I either get Soul Shroud, that item that is a pre-req for Frozen Heart (the frozen looking pendant, which also gives cd reduction), or Speed Boots (which I usually turn into Mercury Treads). After that it's all situational. If I am doing extremely well at this point, I will buy the Agility Cloak and make an Atma's Impaler (this way I can throw out some more damage, and won't be as scared of melee heroes jumping me lol). The reason I don't get boots right away, is because we have both a ranged slow and a speed boost, so I don't feel that boots are a priority. I usually spend my remaining cash on potions, both mana and health (up to a max of 4 each), they are always nice to have, but spending too much money on them can hurt your other item purchases.

Another starting alternative, which I used to and still sometimes do, is get Maki's Pendant, and 1 mana pot. Then go for Philosopher's Stone (I know this is the recommended, but hey, works for me lol), then I go for Soul Shroud or Frozen Heart,; if I feel like playing dps, Atma's Impaler; if I feel like surviving longer, Warmonger's Armor.

Klinkin

11-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyFye View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Dagda. Soul shroud. Ok guys I;; try it out.

Warmog first? Then Atma? Isn't that a very expensive path? Meanwhile while saving for that item, a lot of things could happen. How about going double Atma after Soul Shroud? Crit and armor.
I don't think the damage boost on Atma's stacks (if it did, that would be crazy). However, Warmog's is as close to the ultimate tank item as you'll get (this game's equivalent of the Heart of Tarrasque, if you will).

Cyatomorrow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaMeltin View Post
I actually find Righteous Fury to be great early game - you can farm with the best of em. Added to it a lot of damage bonuses, you can actually be a bit of a surprise to enemies going in melee and using the range to take them down. That said, I have to agree entirely with cooldown reduction being a huge priority, as well as the usefulness of Reckoning. Slowing the enemy as you blast with RF is win.
I really don't understand this. RF has a large cooldown, short duration, and doesn't help you gank.

If you invest in it, the enemy will basically see that you're harmless when RF is not up. Then they can harass at will and keep you from last-hitting.

On the contrary, if you put points into Reckoning, they always need to watch out for a damaging nuke, and thus they can't blatantly harass you and kite you around the creeps. Not to mention that the slow is great for ganks.