[Champion Concept] Vermillion - The Supersonic Prodigy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TeaCrusader

08-29-2012

{Vermillion} - {The Supersonic Prodigy}

{Overview}

Quote:
-Race: Human
-Origin: Piltover
-Alliance: Good (Jayce)
-Class: AD Assassin(?)
-Subclass: Super mobility
-Weapon: Wrenches (see images)
-Attack Type: Melee
-Energy Source: Mana

Vermillion is all about speed, scaling off AD mostly,but also uniquely two of her abilities (one being her Ultimate) scale off of her bonus movement speed. She excels at darting in and out of fights and allowing her team to pick out targets while also harassing with high mobility and some aoe.
{Abilities} Core.

Quote:
Passive (Supersonic Spectacle): When Vermillion is can be seen directly by an enemy champion she gains bonus movespeed.

-Buff: Movement Speed
-Buff Value: 10 (+ 2.0 per level)
-Notes: Vermillion will only gain this bonus if she is visible to the enemy team and within the sight range of at least one enemy champion. (Minions and wards sight range does not effect this)

Q (Trailblazer): Vermillion opens up her wrenches and kicks her skates into overdrive. For 4 seconds she leaves a trail either side of her dealing damage every half-second to those in it. If she stops moving she will spin on the spot, causing the trail to become a circle around her.
Vermillion cannot auto-attack while this ability is in effect.

-Type: Aoe trail
-Amount: 7/14/21/28/35 per tick (+ 0.125 per total AD) (+0.15 per Bonus MoveSpeed)
70/140/210/280/350 max damage (+1.25 per total AD) (1.5 per Bonus MoveSpeed)
-Damage ticks: every 0.5 seconds. (max 10 ticks)
-Duration: Vermillion leaves the trail for 4 seconds. The trail lasts for 1 second before fading.
-AoE: 100 wide strip either side of her. When stationary it becomes a 100 wide strip in a circle around her.
-Cost: 45 mana
-Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 from activation (6/5/4/3/2 seconds from end of ability)
-Target Type: Enemy
-Notes: Because the trail lasts for a time rather than a distance the trail will cover more area the faster Vermillion goes. Also Vermillion can activate her other abilities while this is active, causing longer trails when using her dashes.
Note that because the trail lasts for one second the max damage is over 5 seconds not 4, as the trail will stay for a second after Vermillion has stopped using the ability.
The ability can be activated again to stop the effect.

W (Happy Tag): Passive: Vermillion gains bonus move speed when moving towards her tags. In addition to this getting a kill or an assist will place a tag in the location of the killed champion. Vermillion can have unlimited tags from defeating champions.
Active: Vermillion throws a bottle of paint which explodes, leaving a tag at target location. If Vermillion auto attacks a target standing on a tag she gains health back. These tags last longer and are bigger than those left by defeated champions. Vermillion can have 3 tags from her active placed at once.

Passive:
-Buff Type: Movement speed buff
-Buff Value: 20/25/30/35/40%
-Buff Range: 2500 Diameter centred on the Tags.

-Effect: Leaves Tag on location of kills or assists.
-Effect duration: Tag lasts for 1 minute
-Effect AoE: 250 diameter.

Active:
-Type: Grounded AoE Mark
-Range: 1000
-Effect: Leaves Tag on target location
-Effect duration: Tag lasts 3 minutes
-Effect AoE: 500 diameter
-Buff Type: Heal back on hit (+AP)
-Buff amount: 6/8/10/12/14
-Cost: 80 mana
-Cooldown: 20/18/16/14/12
-Notes: Vermillion can only have 3 tags produced by her active down at any time, using the ability again will replace the oldest tag. Tags can be placed on top of each other but the buffs do not stack.

E (Steam-Skates): Vermillion activates the engines in her boots dashing a short distance and gaining movement speed. The distance she can dash is increased with her bonus movespeed. If Vermillion dashes through an enemy champion she stuns them for a very short duration but does not gain the movement speed bonus. This ability can be activated a second time within a short time for no mana cost.

-Type: Skillshot dash
-Range: 400 (+1.0 per bonus MoveSpeed)
-Buff Type: Movement Speed bonus
-Buff Value: 20/30/40/50/60 MoveSpeed
-Buff Duration: 2 seconds.
-Crowd Control: Stun
-Crowd Control Duration: 0.25 seconds.
-Cost: 50 mana
-Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 seconds
-Second Activation: Within 3 seconds.
-Notes: This ability cannot travel over terrain.

R (Calamity Dive): Vermillion dashes a huge distance (scaling with her bonus movespeed). All enemies hit are dealt damage and dragged with her to the end of the dash.

-Type: Skillshot dash
-Amount: 200/300/400 (+ 1.0 per Bonus AD) (+ 1.5 per Bonus MS)
-Range: 1000/1250/1500 (+ 3.0 Bonus MS)
-Cost: 120
-Cooldown: 140/130/120
-The idea of this would be an initiate. You would curl round behind the enemy team/member using your mobility and then dive back through the choice target. You'd have to be careful to hit the right person and to not drag the entire team in though. It would also be a really good one off escape.
{Base Stats}

Quote:
I'm not great with numbers, and I'm of the mind that they are often things that require playtesting to get right so I'm mostly stealing stats from other champs here.

-Base Health: 450 (+80/level)
-Base Mana: 225 (+40/level)
-Base Attack Damage: 54 (+3.4/level)
-Base Attack Speed: 0.65 (+3%/level)
-Attack Range: 125
-Base Armor: 15 (+3.3/level)
-Magic Resistance: 30
-Movement Speed: 315
{Appearance}
Some concepts, though i'm still working on the design.

Attachment 518240

Attachment 518241

Attachment 518243

Attachment 518244

And below is what I'm dubbing as the final version for now, though it's still up for changes if it seems a good idea. This was edited in a little while after the original post.

Attachment 523863
Pretty pleased with it overall think it captures the Piltover feel while keeping the nods to her delinquent past and the Jet set radio future influences.

(Secondary Skins)

Quote:
Vermillion Going Postal: Vermillion wears a blue postal worker's uniform and has bottles of black writing ink instead of red paint. She wears a postal hat with wings on it and has a messenger bag.
Art to follow at some point.
{Lore} Courtesy of Volcano Style's writing skills!

Quote:
With someone as vigilant as Sheriff Caitlyn looking after Piltover, it's very rare that any crime escapes her watchful eye and slips through the cracks. With crime being adundant as it is in the mad city of Zaun, it's even rarer that it doesn't attempt to slip back in - and rarer still for someone to beat Caitlyn to the punch.

With great inventors like Rumble, Heimerdinger and her ultimate idol Jayce taking part in the League of Legends, one young Piltovian girl with a heart for technology and justice took to the streets. What started as a grumpy column from Jayce on one of the filler pages of a technology column about someone 'stealing shoes from [his] trash' became a media sensation. All of a sudden, it became a daily occurence in news journals; unsavoury bandits and other ne'er-do-wells, tied up, dazed and confused - a red 'smiley face' with the mouth taking the shape of a pronounced V on their chests. When they finally came to, they would babble about 'some punk kid on rocket skates'. Soon enough, 'some punk kid' became 'Vermillion' - and thus the vigilante had a name that was becoming ever more known amongst the populace and infamous among the cartels.

With Heimerdinger, Ziggs, Caitlyn and Jayce all drafted for a particular political dispute at the League ("An odd combination," High Summoner Chrigrant said to us), it seemed the perfect change for a robbery on a grander scale for rogue Zaunite bandits. Vermillion took the opportunity to make herself public; if her swift assault on the criminals was near perfect, what was utterly perfect was her sense of dramatic timing. With the last spraytag made on her fallen foe, Vermillion took the chance - with all eyes on her - to make the public reveal that she was Jayce's favourite apprentice, and that she'd soon be joining him in the League of Legends!

The Institute of War has not yet released a statement.

"Who?" - Jayce, Piltovian Inventor.

Attachment 518245

{Dialogue}

-Champion Selection
-Movement Quotes
-Attacking Quotes
"Take your bets now ladies and Gentlemen!"
-Q Use
-W Use
-E Use
-R Use
-Taunts
-Jokes
-Recall
-Champion Interactions
Upon hitting Rammus with a tag: *Bad male voice impresson* "See if you can make it through here Rammus!"
A conversation with Jayce if they start on the same team.
"Ok Boss lets go!" "Who ARE you!?"
"Hey are those my bo-" "HIRE ME!"

{Particle Effects}

Quote:
Mostly 'solid light' effects though some crackling around the wrenches when her q is active. Also steam from the boots when her e is activated.
{Gameplay} I imagine her having a role fairly similar to fizz.. but if im honest I'm somewhat at an impass with this.. i'd love to hear what other people think she should be doing.
I've Tweaked it so she should function well as a jungler… I think.
Quote:
Feel free to check out my first champion Niat - The Guiding Soul
Or my contribution to the BotC contest: Cinder - The Rising Flame
Or a my attempt at making a Zaunite female and AD carry: Blaise - The Zealous Exterminator

I also did a little piece of artwork for the sneak-peek of this champ which can be seen here.

there's a few more sketches of Vermillion as well as some other stuff on my blog.

EDIT LOG:
30/09/12 - Completely remade kit, please see here for original kit.

Ghast Buff

08-30-2012

Love the logo. Deserves a bump.

TeaCrusader

09-02-2012

Updated the thread to use the council's new template (thanks for it guys it was great).

Also Volcano Style wrote my lore up into a full entry so wooo new content!

Obskeree

09-03-2012

Steamskates and lazer wrenches.

<3

(Alternative response: I like the skirt in the third one and the blouse in the second one. The logo is ace. The lore is hilarious. Well done.)

Wulffe

09-06-2012

Here's a bump for you, Tea!

mhaetsts

09-06-2012

Bump

Dokueki Kenshin

09-06-2012

First off, I like the idea. Jayce having a sort of assistant/fangirl that he isn't even really aware of. As a slight piece of criticism, I'd recommend changing the object that she clubs people with to something else (just her basic attacks). I notice that unless it s a sword or an axe, the champions usually vary significantly in what kind of weapons they use. My personal recommendation would be a massive ratchet... or a hand-drill! DUDE, HER DRILL COULD PIERCE THE HEAVENS! :3

Passive: Please dont' take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this. I only bring it to your attention because it definitely seems within your capacity to do this.

I think you could do a lot better on the passive.

While there's nothing necessarily wrong with a static passive, taking the general premise behind Hecarim's passive and just reversing what scales off of what seems... well, not very solid. Not just that, but for a character this interesting, the passive should be reflective of her unusual qualities. Considering you're making her an assassin, here's something I think would be kinda cool (yes, I understand that it will cause you to change your W):

Spraypaint

Each time Vermillion hits an enemy unit or monster with an attack or ability, they become marked with a spraypaint sigil. Whenever a marked unit is in range of Vermillion, she gains (+.25 per attack damage) in bonus movement speed and as additional damage for her attacks against marked opponents. Up to three units can be marked by Spraypaint.

Q: I like this idea, but I think you're doing a bit too much. Mixing multiple types of damage (AoE constant vs. burst) is typically a bad idea. The same goes for having an additional surcharge after its initial activation. I'd recommend increase the overall damage of the sustained AoE and making it into a new W.

W: That AoE burst damage you were doing in your Q? I'd recommend you do it here instead and maybe make the range shorter so that you still qualify as an assassin.

E: Really cool idea. If you want it to have more assassin aspects, I'd recommend that you do a few things. First off, lower the channel to 1 second. Secondly, instead of a simple dash, I'd recommend that you make it kinda like Malphite's ultimate where you home in on the opponent and do damage. AFTER that damage, you could implement the movement speed buff and armor and magic resist increases. For targeting, reference Cait's ult, and just remember to include that it can be interrupted by hard CC (stund, rooted, fear, taunt) and some soft CC (silence, slow). Also, I'd recommend that you have an interecept mechanic like Cait's ult.

R: Not a bad concept, even if it needs a little work. I'd recommend that just anyone in the path of the dash is knocked back instead of more or less leashing them.

TeaCrusader

09-08-2012

Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it and it's nice to get other people's feelings and thoughts on my concepts.
I'm glad you like her idea though I will say as far as mechanics go I think we're on a different page as far as what we think she should do. I didn't see her too much as an assassin, at least not in primary role? Like I imagine she would be one but I was going more for a very fluid skill based fun and fast champ. I'll go into more detail with each of your comments though ^^
Also I'm not offended by any of this, thanks for your thoughts =D

Quote:
First off, I like the idea. Jayce having a sort of assistant/fangirl that he isn't even really aware of. As a slight piece of criticism, I'd recommend changing the object that she clubs people with to something else (just her basic attacks). I notice that unless it s a sword or an axe, the champions usually vary significantly in what kind of weapons they use. My personal recommendation would be a massive ratchet... or a hand-drill! DUDE, HER DRILL COULD PIERCE THE HEAVENS! :3
I'm glad you like the concept, though I'm not sure your problem with her weapons. You say how about a huge ratchet.. but she has huge wrenches.. Am I missing the champ that uses long wrenches in the league? (I know Heimer throws little ones, but it's a bit different and his don't open up into lasers...)
Though I may have to make a Gurren Lagann skin for her.. damn that anime was good!
Also I love drill, I actually have a champ in the works who uses drills but haven't finished up yet, but I don't think they suit Vermillion..

Actually this seems like a good time to say the why behind my decision with her weapons. Mostly I wanted to give her weapons with a sort of 'non-lethal' feel, she's a crime fighter not a murderer. But I needed the trails for her q hence the lasers. Also I figured since she is an inventor of sorts having wrenches could work (also I like wrenches XD)
I'd like to hear more detail of what you think is wrong with the weapons though, so I can better consider whether to/how to change them.

Quote:
Passive: Please dont' take this the wrong way. I'm not trying to be a jerk when I say this. I only bring it to your attention because it definitely seems within your capacity to do this.

I think you could do a lot better on the passive.

While there's nothing necessarily wrong with a static passive, taking the general premise behind Hecarim's passive and just reversing what scales off of what seems... well, not very solid. Not just that, but for a character this interesting, the passive should be reflective of her unusual qualities. Considering you're making her an assassin, here's something I think would be kinda cool (yes, I understand that it will cause you to change your W):

Spraypaint

Each time Vermillion hits an enemy unit or monster with an attack or ability, they become marked with a spraypaint sigil. Whenever a marked unit is in range of Vermillion, she gains (+.25 per attack damage) in bonus movement speed and as additional damage for her attacks against marked opponents. Up to three units can be marked by Spraypaint.
Haha fair play.
Yeah I guess I could do better, I did have a couple of draft passives for her. The original one was 'Vermillion doesn't receive diminishing returns on Movement speed' Which I ditched for 2 reasons:
a. the potentially for it to be an unbalanceable type of OP was horrendous.
b. If you don't know what diminishing returns are (which I assume many people don't) then it's a passive that would mean nothing to you.
I kinda agree that the reverse Hecarim passive is a little bland, especially for a character like Vermillion, and I think you've flagged up an issue that I could do with changing. Though no offense I'm not a fan of your suggestion.
It's a cool idea, but I don't think it fits Vermillion too well game mechanics wise.
Mostly it's because it requires her to dive in and kinda stay in which is.. not something she'd want to do (she was kinda intended to be a bit of a glass cannon).
Second was I wanted the passive to make her fast. Whereas Hecarim's passive promotes building movespeed I wanted her to actually get the movespeed from it, and keep it.
I do agree though I think the passive could do with a more interesting change.

Quote:
Q: I like this idea, but I think you're doing a bit too much. Mixing multiple types of damage (AoE constant vs. burst) is typically a bad idea. The same goes for having an additional surcharge after its initial activation. I'd recommend increase the overall damage of the sustained AoE and making it into a new W.
I see what you're saying here, and I kinda agree though, I don't think I really see it as an issue..? the main reason I put the extra activations in was because I wanted Vermillion to be fun.. and this move basically locked you into not doing anything for 4 seconds. I wanted the extra activations to make the move feel fun.
What do you think of maybe taking the additional mana cost away (it was actually in there cos originally I had the number of spins capped only by a mini cooldown and never got taken off)

Quote:
W: That AoE burst damage you were doing in your Q? I'd recommend you do it here instead and maybe make the range shorter so that you still qualify as an assassin.
I think Vermillion needs some long range poke, especially since she'd most likely be darting in and out of fights constantly. I think it works for her to have something she can help with on the way back out.
I think it's mostly that I see her as a hit-and-run type champ rather than an akali like assassin.

Quote:
E: Really cool idea. If you want it to have more assassin aspects, I'd recommend that you do a few things. First off, lower the channel to 1 second. Secondly, instead of a simple dash, I'd recommend that you make it kinda like Malphite's ultimate where you home in on the opponent and do damage. AFTER that damage, you could implement the movement speed buff and armor and magic resist increases. For targeting, reference Cait's ult, and just remember to include that it can be interrupted by hard CC (stund, rooted, fear, taunt) and some soft CC (silence, slow). Also, I'd recommend that you have an interecept mechanic like Cait's ult.
Ah now I really disagree with you here. the idea of the e was it was her main 'makes her feel supah-fast' move, it was a mini dash that could be reused often, it increased her mobility and made her a little more slippery to catch.
Originally it was a mini dash that gave a movespeed boost but I realised that her kit really worked as a jungler except for any tankiness. So we put in the optional channel. (the point was you channel up to 2 seconds, and get scaling bonuses depending on how long you channel.)
The idea is that when jungling you can take the full 2 seconds to get the defense boost vs the creeps, and when ganking for the bonus distance and such to make your gank stronger. But if you ever needed a little extra distance or to run fast you can use the mini version.
I think your version kinda.. avoids all the things I wanted it to do. Nice idea though.. just.. not what I was looking for with this ability.

Quote:
R: Not a bad concept, even if it needs a little work. I'd recommend that just anyone in the path of the dash is knocked back instead of more or less leashing them.
A couple of people have suggested this to me but I think it would make this really an awful skill. Having what is essentially a melee version of Draven's e?
this was supposed to be a really strong initiate on a team (you use it from behind and drag them into your team) that takes a lot of skill. I think anything less and it could just be relegated to escapes ya know?
Do you think it might be better if it only drags the first target hit? (I thought that the possibility of dragging several people into your team actually made it more skill reliant, which I liked the idea of)

Really thanks for your feedback. I really hope it doesn't look like I've just shot your ideas down >< Cos I like them, I just think we're on slightly different pages with what we think Vermillion should do.
I'd love to hear what you think now that I've said my piece.

Again thanks for the feedback I really do appreciate it. And I'll be thinking about how to change her passive at the very least!

TeaCrusader

09-10-2012

So I've got what I'd like to think of a final design for Vermillion, taking some element I like from the concepts I already posted:

Attachment 523861

I'd love to hear what people think of this as a final design for her.

(I'm also editing this into the Original post)

Adiwik

09-10-2012

Tea YOU, won my heart with this champ <3