If Viktor is supposed to be evil...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Velrex

08-29-2012

From what i've read in this thread, the only Villains i've ever seen who are truly evil are the ones in Captain Planet.

Zerglinator

08-29-2012

I agree that Viktor has quite a tragic backstory...but I always HATE it when some villain has their....evilness...negated by "oh he has a sad life". I kind of find it hard to believe that people honestly don't see Viktor as at least falling near the side of evil...I mean, listen to his quotes! And he's trying to turn humanity into machines. GENERALLY, that's a bad thing.

I see Viktor as possibly redeemable and misguided, but I'd still classify him as a villain. If he's not a villain, I'd like to know what exactly makes him GOOD.

Urbaknight

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemptragon View Post
- He stole from Jayce
This part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Well, Jayce thinks Viktor is evil.

Viktor doesn't see his own actions as evil.
No offence, but I see this as sort of a cop out.

belthazor3457

08-29-2012

Evil is a completely relative term. Don't make me give examples as to why that is the case >.>

Urbaknight

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by belthazor3457 View Post
Evil is a completely relative term. Don't make me give examples as to why that is the case >.>
Please do. I actually want to read it.

LordHippoman

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by belthazor3457 View Post
I'm gonna sort of half agree with Bel, some things are just ideals and justifications, but there are actions that are iredeemable.

Xulsigae

08-29-2012

It's a good story of the Cold War told with Jayce and Viktor as the two combatants.
I personally don't usually like characters that are just 'evil' or 'good.' All the 'evil' people in history never thought what they were doing was evil, that's only in fiction. It's more fun and realistic to have 'grey' characters with unusual flaws and motivations and goals. Even Veigar has a 'good' goal in his mind- the elimination of war.
The only character who is just plain unlikable in my view is Syndra. She doesn't really have any redeeming qualities or motivations.

Kahti

08-29-2012

When I think of other characters the one that seems to match Viktor best is Magneto.

Both have suffered tragedies that scarred them. (granted, the Holocaust is a bit more extreme)
Both strengthened themselves to overcome the pain.
Both seek to strengthen others to help them avoid the same pain.
And both can justify bending the rules to see their good intentions done.

They are the definition of the Tragic Hero. Many people even consider Magneto to be an antihero as opposed to villain. This grey area is the reason he's one of the most popular villains ever created. The main reason he is a villain though is he'll kill anyone in his way, even innocents. Viktor hasn't done that. He hasn't done anything that's irredeemably evil. So how is he evil?

He's my favorite character in this game. Keep him a tragic hero. Don't turn him into a caricature. Pretty please?

Cuix

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
And he's trying to turn humanity into machines. GENERALLY, that's a bad thing.
As a transhumanist, I'd like to point out that you're missing the point entirely, and that even at face value I entirely disagree with your statement.

Xulsigae

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauron View Post
As a transhumanist, I'd like to point out that you're missing the point entirely, and that even at face value I entirely disagree with your statement.
I would wonder how Viktor interacts with Mundo, as they both kinda deal with trans-humanism, Viktor through machines, Mundo through drugs and such.