How much money does a streamer REALLY make?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Qc Ujelly

08-29-2012

I know there is a certain ammount of money/1000 ad views, but in reality, how much money do own3d or twitch keep. Taxes? Paypal? Let's say a streamer can pass 10000 ads in 3-4 hours, is he really gonna get a 30$ paycheck? (According to http://www.own3d.tv/partner/23-Overview)

bob000

08-29-2012

They will credit you $30 and at intervals pay you what you have been credited. They wont send you a check every time you play an ad.

Maguuma

08-29-2012

I think chaox said he made 6 digits a year

VMan7

08-29-2012

It varies widely on how many people are watching you, how many have adblock, and what country they are in (certain countries don't get specific ads).

The people with 5k+ on average are making a lot. Trust me.

Zakkair

08-29-2012

Most gamers don't make too much money from streams (just my guess). Every commercial played to viewers (without adblock) is like 2-3 cents or less. Thats why HotshotGG gives 1-hour lessons for like 30-40 dollars even though he has 15k viewers on stream constantly.

They make money from sponsors, fan-donations, and mainly tournaments.

*EDIT: Vman7 probably knows more about this, he streams on own3d XD

xBlitzerx

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan7 View Post
It varies widely on how many people are watching you, how many have adblock.
Shhhhh

Deathnor

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan7 View Post
It varies widely on how many people are watching you, how many have adblock, and what country they are in (certain countries don't get specific ads).

The people with 5k+ on average are making a lot. Trust me.
i watch this man quite a bit do to some great music. he is the one to listen to. also id like to say g bob (other streamer i watch) stated he was doing streams full time due to the fact he could make a living off of it.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2012

Its no different than minor league ball players and major league pro's, OP.

The very (very) best will make a very comfortable living off of playing/streaming/going to tournaments/getting sponsors/etc. And bravo to them. If they can make a profit off of doing something they enjoy without harming anyone else, kudos to them.

The average gamer/streamer, though? Like the average minor league ball player or amateur *pick your sport* will earn nothing appreciable.

deepbluereason

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakkair View Post
Thats why HotshotGG gives 1-hour lessons for like 30-40 dollars even though he has 15k viewers on stream constantly.
Well, first, with 15k viewers, even if only 5k of those viewers were receiving and he ran 5 ads per hour that'd be $75/hour. I'm not sure where you come from where that wouldn't be a **** ton of money.

But it doesn't matter because, secondly, it's been a while since he's gotten that many viewers. Once he stopped streaming regularly and stopped having an interesting stream his viewers dropped.

He *might* get that many today but only if Ocelot, Oddone, Dyrus, SV, Froggen and any of the other more popular streamers these days aren't on.