Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Top Lane Ryze

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MCMCMAN2

08-28-2012

I know most of the people who are reading this are probobly thinking "wtf" right now. And I could understand why. Since he was first used competitiveness, hes been considered a tanky mid lane mage. His tankyness was lost a little bit with the change to his ratios, but hes still fairly tanky in mid lane. The idea of him being used top lane has only occured to me after this change for what ever reason, bit ive had a lot of success with it since the change. Ive wanted to test it for a while before posting, just to see if it would work. My build revolves around alot of mana, with a little bit of AP thrown in. Your a little squishier than old ryze, but are still a good damage soak for a couple of attacks or spells.

Heres why it works. Your still the same old Ryze, save for not getting blue buffs, which kinda sucks. However, now you have a really simple lane. Here are a couple of examples. Darius, you can kite him forever and a day. Riven, your W shuts her down entirely. Rumble, cant get close for Q. Irelia, cant dash through your W. You can out range and out poke most of the champions youd face top lane, and can also push with E.

How do you build him?
I normally start boots 3, but will go menki 2 if i feel like i need to spam. After t1 boots, i ALWAYS get a tear of the goddess. This is a must. AP or mana, you need this. It will only make you stronger. After, I pick up either a catalyst or a frozen heart, depending on how much physical damage I take. Mostly, ill go catalyst, but keep different ideas in mind for ordering depending on the lane.
A good end build is Boots (either merc or sorc, use your brain), archangels staff (with the tear and all the mana you build, its a must) RoA (durablility, mana, and AP. Proboly the best item for Ryze), Banshees (Mana and MR), Frozen heart (Mana, armor, and CDR), and then depends. Sometimes ill go with an item for durability such as Zhonyas, sometimes ill go huge dmg, by means of Deathcap. But the safest end item is Rylias. Lots of hp, some AP, and the SLOW! Thats such an amazing combo. Normally, ill end the game with around 2.9k hp, a good mix of armor and MR, around 5k mana, and 340 AP. You wont carry, but youll be durable enough to protec the AD, especially with your W and slow. Plus youll be pumping out good damage. And youll have had a really good laning phase.

iPrecision

08-28-2012

Will of the Ancients isnt bad either to Make your team be a little stronger plus the survive ability from spell vamp. not sure if stacks with ult. never checked.

Nea De Penserhir

08-28-2012

Eh, fi the opponent builds Merc Treads they can be in your face all day, and then the lack of a blue buff will really start to hurt after they grab a little lifesteal to shrug off the last exchange.

MCMCMAN2

08-28-2012

Quote:
Nea De Penserhir:
Eh, fi the opponent builds Merc Treads they can be in your face all day, and then the lack of a blue buff will really start to hurt after they grab a little lifesteal to shrug off the last exchange.

I had thought about that when i first did it. But with the 9/21/0 masteries taking the spell pen mastery in offense. Also, if you run spellvamp quints then you can exchange very well, especially with your ult, with doesnt actually have much of a CD due to your passive. And what you normally do is your fast burst combo, meaning QEWQ which lets you jump back before melees have a chance for retribution. Most of the time. Also, this isnt theory crafting. Its tried and tested. In 1k elo.

WetBallsOnUrFace

08-29-2012

u can play who ever u want on bot,top,jungle,mid doesnt matter if u can win lane its fine i have seen xerath jungle so...

MCMCMAN2

08-29-2012

Quote:
WetBallsOnUrFace:
u can play who ever u want on bot,top,jungle,mid doesnt matter if u can win lane its fine i have seen xerath jungle so...

Yes. Not the point. There is no need to follow the meta to the dot. But breaking it just for the sake of breaking it is dumb. Hes normally considered a mid lane champ, so the point was making a case for him top, giving actual reasons.

ProfDrDeath

08-29-2012

Ryze top is a good but situational pick.

Your advantages:
- Range: Facing mostly melees top, this really helps.
- Kite: Especially if you run MS quints and 9/0/21.
- Gets tanky rather fast
- Blue is a luxus, not a must (especially once you have your Tear and Frozen Heart)

Your disadvantages:
- Early squishiness: Against a really good early-gamer, you have to play extremely careful and defensive
- No Escape: This is a big one. Basically, if the jungler ganks, you are to blow a summoner (or both) or be screwed. Needs deep wards.

So, to take Ryze top, it should be against enemies with no range or immediate gap-closer (Garen, Singed, Volibear, Nasus come to mind). Additionally, it is nice to have a non-blue dependant mid and/or a heavy counterjungler (there is no threat of the enemy jungler if he is 3 levels behind due to having his jungle stolen over and over).

CerealBoxOfDoom

08-29-2012

Quote:
MCMCMAN2:
I know most of the people who are reading this are probobly thinking "wtf" right now. And I could understand why. Since he was first used competitiveness, hes been considered a tanky mid lane mage. His tankyness was lost a little bit with the change to his ratios, but hes still fairly tanky in mid lane. The idea of him being used top lane has only occured to me after this change for what ever reason, bit ive had a lot of success with it since the change. Ive wanted to test it for a while before posting, just to see if it would work. My build revolves around alot of mana, with a little bit of AP thrown in. Your a little squishier than old ryze, but are still a good damage soak for a couple of attacks or spells.

Heres why it works. Your still the same old Ryze, save for not getting blue buffs, which kinda sucks. However, now you have a really simple lane. Here are a couple of examples. Darius, you can kite him forever and a day. Riven, your W shuts her down entirely. Rumble, cant get close for Q. Irelia, cant dash through your W. You can out range and out poke most of the champions youd face top lane, and can also push with E.

The problem with toplane ryze is the same with mid except theres less chance of getting help when **** hits the fan.

Sure you can stop them from killing you and even manage to kill them sometimes. But against champs like irelia she's going to build MR for days and ignore you. If you attempt to farm they will walk up and zone the **** out of you and keep zoning. They will put you under your tower and go gank or counterjungle, whatever. They will have more freedom than you can afford, and lord knows even if a mage pushes the lane that tower isn't going anywhere unless there's like 30 minions helping lol. But yes, you can switch out your countered top with ryze and hope they do better in a different arrangement

Uzumaki913

05-05-2013

I love the idea of top Ryze, and will probably go try it soon with your idea of large parts both armor and MR, I especially love Ryze top with like Kha'Zix or Zed going mid so you make up for the lack of magic damage mid, otherwise they could stack MR and basically negate you and the AP mid laner. Good idea though, I really like it.

asamu

05-05-2013

Viable, but only against certain other top lanes. His early game is too weak for him to be a great pick top, as top tends to be a volatile highly aggressive lane in the current meta unless certain champions are picked.
It's good vs Assassin tops, like Zix, Zed, Riven, etc, and champions with weak or no gap closers, like Nasus, Garen, and Singed.
It struggles against champions with high sustain, strong gap closers, and moderate-high damage output, such as Irelia and Renekton.