Why dont people play malzahar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ohasis

08-28-2012

Plus he has to stand and channel his ult while whole enemy team pounds on him.

yamers

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohasis View Post
Plus he has to stand and channel his ult while whole enemy team pounds on him.
that's the big problem. You sit there channeling your ult and can't move at all and then a QSS does render him useless.

A?h??

08-28-2012

thats why u don't ult when your teams losing, or ult a champ thats really low so u secure kill and are not supressed yourself for long, its all about timing with malzahar, if u hang back in teamfights, throw some visions around and put a null zone right beneath the tank fight, maybe use the range on your silence to stop their ap carry for a second and dont use your ult until the other team retreats, u lay a suppress, even if they qss it then theres that time that they still are locked up, lets your adc or bruiser to catch up with them

EDIT: plus i find malzahar awesome because if they are stupid enough to tower dive me early/mid game, i lay a suppress on them while the tower helps me and generally they go down, supress is also awesome for idiotic junglers because who cant gank a supressed target

1nkBlot

08-28-2012

I honestly love playing as Malzahar. He has a lot of potential if you know how to play him right. The best way to destroy someone you need to first silence then immediately hit them with your E ability then immediately his W and follow up with his R. Doing this will completely wreck the champ depending on who you targeted. His W does damage overtime to enemies by a certain percent, so by suppressing the foe with your R while your W is under them will wreck them while his E does its own overtime damage and your R does its overtime damage. He isn't one of the champs where he can destroy entire teams he is more of an anti-carry in that sense because all carries are fairly squishy throughout the game. He is definitely a different and more difficult champion to master, but I think he can hold his own.

FraggingBard

08-28-2012

I've been playing a lot of Malz in Blind Pick Normals since I got him (Ranked and I broke up, it was totally ranked's fault though. *****), and he can absolutely destroy teams. He's one of the best (in my opinion) AP mids solely due to his E. An AP rune page and a RoA lets you drop an E on caster minions and walk off, so any Ahri/Ryze/Le Blanc won't be able to touch you except by walking past your minions which is fantastic for avoiding junglers/pokes/harass/generally not dying.

His R is great until someone gets QSS, at which point you ult someone else. A Rylai's and his E lets you slow everyone in sight, and there's some cool tricks like putting his E on a minion near an opposing champion, then Q'ing them to kill the minion and put the E onto the champion instead. The likelihood of an entire team taking Cleanse/QSS is low, and with Malz's %HP damage W you can ult tanks and still have an effect on the fight.

You do have to be aware what everyone has bought/is buying, which champions have hard CC, which champions have an interrupt, where everyone is, etc, but once you're paying attention he's a really fun champion without the fragility of someone like Le Blanc. Just keep in mind that he's a one item counter and you'll be fine.

Although a Maw/Banshee's will stop a Le Blanc/Ryze/Veigar combo.

Jaigar

08-28-2012

You can get Malzahar to work really well in lane phase, but once you hit teamfights, his self suppressing Ulti is just miserable. Also theres less HP stacking champs being played nowadays so his W just isn't as effective. Theres 3 champions I can think of with GTAoE Damage spells that don't have a slow attached: Morgana's pool, Malzahar's W, and Nasus's E. Morgana's snare allows her pool to be extremely effective while Nasus has wither. Malzahar has to blow his Ulti if he wants to force his target in his GTAoE, or get a teammate to force the enemy to stay inside of it.

I played a bot game once where I met Malzahar in the jungle, and when he suppressed me, his little minion spawned. Then another bot teleported to that minion immediately. It was hillarious because I've never thought of that before.

Malzahar's silence is also the slowest casting silence in the game correct (outside LeBlanc)?

Solid Rook

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-08-2012

Positioning just isn't as good as it used to be since all those bruiser champs got gap closers and cc.

InsidiousIntent

11-08-2012

I wanna LoL in most of the above comments really...
It is not that when they get QSS his ulti is cancelled or that he has no burst as smone said..

Malz Is the greatest mid champion ... All you need to do is push mid a bit early and teleport to another lane for gang.. get strong early and nothing stops you later.. You can even trick QSS people with ur Q b4 landing the rest of ur combo. You just need to get good with it..
His only disadvantage is that he has to rely on his team:
While he destroys a champion his team has to engage and tank the enemy team or fight them in melee range to distract them.. After you are done with ur ulti u can simply go back attacking the rest with ur voids and the rest of ur skills.
So the reason people play him less often lately is that in solo queues you cannot trust ur teammates will cover you while chanelling, not that he is weaker than the latest ap casters..

Caradix

11-08-2012

Malz is one of my favorite champs, on my EU account i purchased him with RP after my first week in lol when i got to try him on his free week.
Ever since then his my go to champ, he does take quite a bit of practice to get good with,but once your map awareness is good, and you learn how to hit his skill shots, time the pool for his ulti, and do all the little vision tricks he becomes quite hard to deal with.
Yes he his ulti can get canceled, yes he puts him self at risk when he uses it but if a malz player decided to target an enemy that can cleanse, qss or use his ulti in the middle of a team without help he /she wasn't really thinking were they.
What people seem to forget his pool is good in any situation its % of hp damage, dosent matter if he the enemy has 4k hp or 2k hp, 10-12% of an enemies hp is still 10-12% no matter the hp they have, especially if you can chuck it the middle of an enemy team during a team fight, and it is often good enough to scare away bruisers that targeting your squisher targets, since standing on a pool that deals massive damage to you isnt advisable.

I believe the key to playing him well is building tanky ap items, and if possible CDR.

BarbecueRibs

11-08-2012

He has fairly good ratios, but hes extremely weak early. 0 mobility and no cc until 6. Any jungle ganks and you're dead. However, he is very powerful lategame. Great aoe damage and a nice 3 second silence too. All you have to do is stay extremely far away from their team. It's dangerous to try and ult their ad or ap, so i mainly use it to help peel for my ad.

If someone gets a qss, then don't ult them. After the nerf to qss, it really sets back your build a lot if you buy it.