Why is Draven so bad in dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yoonabomber

08-26-2012

he needs a buff

Mindllapse

08-27-2012

I really don't understand the point of the "catching axes" mechanic

it's utterly useless if you are chasing, and it's supposed to refresh cooldown of your chasing skill -- what's the point of that if you can't spend time to catch the axe if you are chasing, if catching it is supposed to help you chase in the first place

really counter productive ability

IS1eae7cbb510cc9b1e2028

08-27-2012

For me it's the other way around, Draven is absolute murdertown.

Dominion is not about just killing. Kill if you have to, but it's still about capturing points. How do you do that? By making sure the enemy isn't around. You don't have to specificially kill them.

Draven excels in this role by keeping an axe ready. When the enemy gets close, pop W and give them one, retreat immediatly so you can catch the axe safely. There are very few heroes who can deal with this type of harass. Use Stand aside if they want to counter your harass so you attack for free and run away.

Start out with prospectors. The first item you should build is Sanguine (after zerkers ofcourse). Draven scales very well with straight AD because of his Q, so attackspeed and crit aren't that important when you start. Next up i always build Last Whisper. Again, more straight AD, but now with very good armor penetration, making those tankies fear you too. Next up, Infinity Edge. Again, i'm still not getting attackspeed.

Why not attackspeed until lategame? Because Q and W. Q is a 100% mini-crit, and W is a phantom dancer. With Sanguine, Last Whisper and Infinity, and a spinning axe, you are doing 700-800 per attack, at 1.6 attackspeed, 1100 if you get a crit in there. If you go for attackspeed and crits early, your Q will only hit for 400-500.

Try to make your axe land where it's safe. Even if they stun or whatever you, that you're going to catch the axe IN the stun. If you drop both axes draven really has bad damage output.

Mindllapse

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eface View Post
For me it's the other way around, Draven is absolute murdertown.

Dominion is not about just killing. Kill if you have to, but it's still about capturing points. How do you do that? By making sure the enemy isn't around. You don't have to specificially kill them.

Draven excels in this role by keeping an axe ready. When the enemy gets close, pop W and give them one, retreat immediatly so you can catch the axe safely. There are very few heroes who can deal with this type of harass. Use Stand aside if they want to counter your harass so you attack for free and run away.

Start out with prospectors. The first item you should build is Sanguine (after zerkers ofcourse). Draven scales very well with straight AD because of his Q, so attackspeed and crit aren't that important when you start. Next up i always build Last Whisper. Again, more straight AD, but now with very good armor penetration, making those tankies fear you too. Next up, Infinity Edge. Again, i'm still not getting attackspeed.

Why not attackspeed until lategame? Because Q and W. Q is a 100% mini-crit, and W is a phantom dancer. With Sanguine, Last Whisper and Infinity, and a spinning axe, you are doing 700-800 per attack, at 1.6 attackspeed, 1100 if you get a crit in there. If you go for attackspeed and crits early, your Q will only hit for 400-500.

Try to make your axe land where it's safe. Even if they stun or whatever you, that you're going to catch the axe IN the stun. If you drop both axes draven really has bad damage output.

when an enemy is around, or is approaching, they will just gapclose on your and murder you in 2 hits with triforce and not give a **** about the tower because they are a viable bruiser pick while you are a bottom-tier ranged ad pick with no escape

SpiderParadox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2012

As specified in the other thread, Draven has no reliable escape and his range is low enough that he has to get into gapclose range.

He isn't bad at Dominion, the problem is just there's no reason to pick him over other AD carries.

MrMundungu

08-27-2012

That's weird, Draven is one of the champs I pick when I really need a win.
The trick is to force opponents to have to walk through your team to intercept your spinning axes, make sure to control their landing point.
Also, you don't need to catch every axe. Once you've hit with 2-3 of them, his normal DPS isn't lower than other ADCs by enough to keep him from getting the kills.

onisnake

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-27-2012

Like most AD carries if he has the team to peel off him he is good, but why pick him over Kog'Maw? That always becomes the question with most of the weaker champs is why pick the over their vastly superior same role? Draven is an AD carry that can stop caps map wide, but why pick him over Ezreal? His mechanic allows him to dish out much damage but it sometimes puts you in a bad spot. It's not that he is horrible it is just that there are better.

TCWA Tigerbite

08-27-2012

I'd pick Draven over Kog & Ez.

Redeemed In Fire

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindllapse View Post

when an enemy is around, or is approaching, they will just gapclose on your and murder you in 2 hits with triforce and not give a **** about the tower because they are a viable bruiser pick while you are a bottom-tier ranged ad pick with no escape
And then suddenly, Stand Aside

Infirc

08-27-2012

i don't know i ahve had Dravens literally carrying a DOminion game (and everyone knows tht only one person hard carrying a game is a rare happening on Dominion, unless they are playng and don't fail at kass or Darius) then again i ahve been carried by an Ap Twisted Fate whose map Awareness was over 9000, Seriously that guy was everywhere ._..