I Stop 4 v 5s. Am I right or wrong?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PandemoniumHeart

08-27-2012

I'm looking to open up a forum dialogue on an action that seems to be driving a large wedge in my games recently.

AFKs ruin League of Legends, in my mind. There is nothing I find more frustrating than having someone on my team leave, and leaving me to fight a 4 v 5. It stinks to be at such a severe disadvantage, and feel helpless to stop the inevitble hard push and 4/5 caps that are to occur.

Yes, it is possible to win 4 versus 5- but these instances are likely the exception rather than the norm, and by and large fighting in such a situation is not pleasant or fun.

For the past while now, I've decided to take positive action in sitting out whenever I discover the enemy team has lost a player, making it 4 v 4. This isn't a perfect solution- I might be a more valuable player than the one they lost, or vice-versa- but in my mind it's always going to make it more fair and even than keeping it 5 v 4. I'm always willing to swap in with someone on my team if they're willing to sit out, and stay out, but I'm not going to force that on anyone.

Note that I remain in game, prepared to talk and give bits of advice to my team. This is largely because I want to go right back in if their AFKer returns. I also don't distinguish between DCing and other reasons for AFK.

Of late, my actions have been seeing more and more anger and rage from teammates (particularly my team loses, though I've had it when we've won too). The other team is always thankful and has kind words, but I've been getting reports (and assurances that I will get banned) and more harsh words lately than condemnation.

What tends to happen is people try to tell me my stance is incorrect- because the other team wouldn't do the same thing, because AFKs happen to everyone and we should just deal with it, because I'm more valuable than the player they lost, and other reasons I likely forget. I try to respond and explain myself, but I don't seem to get through.

So let's hear a moral debate- am I right or wrong to sit out when I see someone on the other team has left, to make it 4 v 4?

P.S. I've only done this on Dom and ARAM thus far, hence my forum selection. I haven't tried it on SR, but it gets more complicated there with the very firm roles.

I'd love to hear a Riot stance on whether or not this action I am taking is punishable.

Minrad

08-27-2012

Ya bro riot should implement epic **** client like steam that makes it unplayable and 9/10 ready so u never get a leaver in game again

Hamm3rhand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2012

I have done this once, based on the mention of doing it by one forum poster here (feedski maybe?). However when I tried the other team told me not too, to just play and it would end up how it was. I think I was playing trinity tank sona at the time? so I don't think I would have been particularly more valuable than the opponents DC. tho really I don't come across DC's that often nowadays - most that do come right back.

As far as morality, I don't know about that - its kinda not a great moral thing. I would say - leave it as a 4v4 as long as that would be more enjoyable for both teams. If not, as in your teammates really want you to play, then play. Seems a pretty simple solution, and its easy to find out in the chat.

FDA

08-27-2012

Leavers ruin the game for everyone, but only their team feels the negative consequences. Tossing your teammates in the line of fire is obviously going to irritate them.

Your stance pretty much says: For the sake of my own values, I don't mind giving up on my teammates. As far as I'm concerned, there really isn't any difference between you and someone who suddenly stopped playing for personal reasons.

As for whether it's alright? If you just want a fun game most people probably wouldn't object. Most people don't want a loss though and between losing to your own afks and losing to your teammates throwing the game, anyone trying to raise their elo so that they can get into better games is not going to take it well.

To put it another way: If both teams have a leaver I'd report both, personal circumstance doesn't matter because if it happens often enough then they deserve whatever they get for ignoring their teams so often.

Your Inhibitorr

08-27-2012

This is only do-able on dominion. people would throw a hissy fit on sr

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2012

Depends. I had a guy afk to balance out a game, but he was our tank for top. The other team was still well balanced top (tank, bruiser, mage), we were not (ADC, mage, support). We had no way to initiate or tower dive. Eventually our Malphite rejoined the game and we won, but had I picked my champ intending to have a malphite top.

Stiff Tacos

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithZephyr View Post
Depends. I had a guy afk to balance out a game, but he was our tank for top. The other team was still well balanced top (tank, bruiser, mage), we were not (ADC, mage, support). We had no way to initiate or tower dive. Eventually our Malphite rejoined the game and we won, but had I picked my champ intending to have a malphite top.
I'm glad that I'm remembered. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Anyways, yeah, that was me. Really, I sat out just to see how the 4v4 would play out. Three top was pretty interesting, but it didn't really work out well for my team because, as ZZ said, there was no initiation on tower. Plus, I had the garrison. I'm not sure if I should feel bad for rejoining. Nobody got mad at me during my afk or after starting to play again.

lbgsloan

08-27-2012

It's a nice thought, but I'm going to have to agree with your teammates that the other team wouldn't have mercy if the situation was reversed. We've all lost games to AFKs, so people are understandably going to be furious when they're essentially given a free win to counterbalance it but someone tries to deny it. If it's an obvious leave/afk (ie the person makes no attempt to rejoin the game), you report them, take the win, and hope action gets taken by Riot if that person keeps doing it.

Would you AFK if your teammates took a bunch of top tier OP champions in protest at their cheese? No? Because that's not much different really. It's not our job to police the game, that's Riots. Pausing if someone drops in a tournament match is one thing, but in blind pick normals just let it be.

Demonite10

08-27-2012

Moral stance and sticking to your guns about them is fine and dandy, but at the end of the day you've got to eat. What I mean is, sometimes you need to go against what you believe in to make ends meet.

Also, keep in mind that this is a 5v5 game and your team is depending on you and you on them. Even if your good-heartedness had the intention of balancing the game out, you sitting out is letting your team down(because they are relying on you).

Phourc

08-28-2012

5v4s are just a complete waste of time for everyone, it's not even funny - if both teams are okay with you sitting out, do it, if they qq just stomp them, I guess.