Is AS- On hit Vayne viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ledinax

08-27-2012

I don't mean as AD Carry, but as solo top. Since her W does true damage every third attack, getting as much AS as possible seems a decent idea to me. The build would be something like this, but is hasn't to be this exact build:
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/vayne...8&fspells=true

Aeternum

08-27-2012

Seems to me that you'd have a little extra health, armor and MR from the Madred's, Wit's End, and the Triforce/Ionic Spark . . . But, those are fairly expensive items, and without building damage, it'll take a long time for your farm to get you there.

I can see Vayne with a Wit's End, or even a Bloodrazor, if the enemy insists on building HP against a Vayne (so, cases of extreme idiocy). But the Triforce and Ionic Spark sacrifice, overall, a LOT of damage from your IE or BT.

I remember vaguely there being a thread where someone mathcrafted the actual value for her Silver Bolts, and that it was less then a good solid crit from a completed IE.

So, it'd be an interesting idea to test out sometime, but it seems like:

A) You'd have a very hard time farming the gold for it against a "standard" top,
B) You'd be ineffective as an ADC,
C) You'd be ineffective as a Bruiser, and last but not least,
D) Vayne is at her best rolling enemies up and throwing them away on bot with an aggressive support; I'm not sure it's worthwhile to play her as a top lane pick unless you're hoping to ADC from there.

In other terms, you could build Tryndamere with a Zeke's Herald, Aegis of the Legion, Soul Shroud, and Shurelya's Reverie . . . couple that with his shout, and you'd be able to mess people up pretty badly. But Trynd's shining strength is in spinning to someone, cutting them in half, and then going berserk on everyone else. I'm not sure it's worth it to do it any other way.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2012

Vayne with AS/onhit IS viable, but its not a very good idea.

She already has a total-damage booster from Tumble, as well as an attack resetter in Tumble. She has a big AD booster from her Ult too which makes crit/AD even better.

As a playstyle Vayne is about mobility, shoot and scoot. This works FAR better with high damage items to get in a few powerful hits, instead of trying to machine gun lots of little dinks.

Compare to Kog Maw. Kog adds 120 magic dmg PER HIT (6%, so 120 vs 2k foes) and even Kog goes AD because it is so much better at lifestealing and early game play.

Vayne on the other hand is getting 20 true damage per hit, and 2.67% damage per hit, which ASSUMES you always hit in groups of 3 which is definitely not the case. This damage just isn't as strong as Kog maw, and she has quite a bit less range.

So AS Vayne is just a bad idea both from a mathmatical persepective and from a playstyle perspective. It will work, but it is suboptimal.

Cenerae

08-27-2012

AS Vayne sounds good until you remember that Silver Bolts only procs once every 3 hits. Silver Bolts, while a decent damage steroid, isn't so good that you should base your whole build around it.

Onhit builds in general suffer from the issue that they drop off late game. Since they deal magic damage and you don't really have much in the way of magic pen...yeah.

And then there's the other issue that AS builds always look great on paper for raw DPS, but on paper we're assumming you get to sit still and attack nonstop. In game this will rarely happen outside of farming minions and taking buffs/baron/dragon. Since you'll be breaking that gatling gun attack speed with movement while you chase, you lose a fairly big chunk of the damage, whereas a less AS focused build doesn't suffer from this nearly as much.