On the originality of various LoL champions.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

notDeAdYet

09-17-2010

i don't... understand...
first of all hatsune miku really? how are you planning to tie that in?
-they both have blue hair
my sister has blue hair does that mean she is a software that sings robotically?
-they both play a musical instrument
OH WAIT NO THEY DONT
-they both sing
sona is a MUTE smart man.
they both have sizeable breasts.
were hatsune miku to exist in real life, and no matter how much you want that, she would still be as flat as a plateau.
as for pantheon.
....really?
if you wanna criticize pantheon why not criticize olaf? he's obviously a viking knockoff... what about ninjas? Did shen apparently reside in pajan before the league?
he is a spartan warrior, leonidas is not the only spartan that ever existed, he's only the most famous and not even by historical account, but because someone made a film about him and a bunch of other spartans...

-myon's ghostblade.
I lol'd.
i honestly thought this was an easter egg thing like guinsoo's rageblade, obviously someone liked that sort of thing on riot side, and why not.. its one item.
so out of...how many champs we have 30somehting? 40 something?
you managed to find fault with 3 of them being "unoriginal"
and 2 items out of what, 100ish now?
GOOD JOB, I WOULD SUE RIOT WITH EVERY ONE OF MY MONIES FOR BEING UNORIGINAL NOW!

Enrayged

09-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by notDeAdYet View Post
i don't... understand...
first of all hatsune miku really? how are you planning to tie that in?
-they both have blue hair
my sister has blue hair does that mean she is a software that sings robotically?
-they both play a musical instrument
OH WAIT NO THEY DONT
-they both sing
sona is a MUTE smart man.
they both have sizeable breasts.
were hatsune miku to exist in real life, and no matter how much you want that, she would still be as flat as a plateau.
as for pantheon.
....really?
if you wanna criticize pantheon why not criticize olaf? he's obviously a viking knockoff... what about ninjas? Did shen apparently reside in pajan before the league?
he is a spartan warrior, leonidas is not the only spartan that ever existed, he's only the most famous and not even by historical account, but because someone made a film about him and a bunch of other spartans...

-myon's ghostblade.
I lol'd.
i honestly thought this was an easter egg thing like guinsoo's rageblade, obviously someone liked that sort of thing on riot side, and why not.. its one item.
so out of...how many champs we have 30somehting? 40 something?
you managed to find fault with 3 of them being "unoriginal"
and 2 items out of what, 100ish now?
GOOD JOB, I WOULD SUE RIOT WITH EVERY ONE OF MY MONIES FOR BEING UNORIGINAL NOW!
And if Riot made 5 minor indiscretions, what about Blizzard?

They are known for putting pop culture references all over the place in WoW, not just sprinkled here and there.

notDeAdYet

09-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrayged View Post
And if Riot made 5 minor indiscretions, what about Blizzard?

They are known for putting pop culture references all over the place in WoW, not just sprinkled here and there.
guild wars come to mind, i dont know which one but there's one where all the skills are named after popular songs in the 80s

bobarabara

09-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackInASphere View Post
300 is based off the graphic novel...not the actual historic event
and what was the graphic novel based off...

RuRuRuRufus

09-18-2010

I made a game and a guy uses a sword in it that is so unoriginal I mean like other game has a guy with a sword in it.

Stop talking.

B4xT3r

09-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuRuRuRufus View Post
Stop talking.
/thread

BraveryBeyond

09-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helionexis View Post
you ever hear of copying is the best form of flattery?
"Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Not exactly the same thing. It means that copying something is the most unbiased form of flattery.

In any case, I think the OP is being pretty dumb and fairly near sighted. Olaf has a nod to Techno Viking which he missed, Mordekaiser rips-off every heavy metal band ever with his skill names and Taric may or may not be affiliated with a certain 80s cartoon. If you're going to point out how many times RIOT has ripped something off, at least be accurate.

Vindrel

09-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotbabagahnoosh View Post
i ran into a similar issue when i worked on world of warcraft. In games where pop culture references are used, the accuracy of disseminated information found on wiki sites as to the roots and sources of characters and items are not very accurate. Honestly though, i don't think they should be. A designer may put in a very personal reference that means a lot to them that others aren't supposed to get. As an example, i named a troll in wow after my late father. I did it as an anagram, and i doubt anyone will ever figure out who it is. I don't care if they do - it's my nod to my dad. Look at it like it's a perk for being a designer.
the hunt is on!