Jayce is overpowered

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Manse

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyGothic View Post
He has absolutely obscene AD ratios on short cooldowns. His W in ranged form alone gives him max attack speed for 3 attacks on a 6 second cooldown with a +30% modifier.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Jayce_the_Defender_of_Tomorrow

In other words, stack AD like there's no tomorrow (ahaha... sorry), and throw in a bit of CDR / ArPen. The Trinity Force proc is negligible compared to the raw damage from his abilities. When a Trinity Force on Dom looks bad... yikes.
I'll give it a shot. I used to "rush" a sanguine, but I've been enjoying being stupidly hard to remove from a point with the standard triforce/tank build. Then again, that's going bot against other beefy folks, I'll try squishy and see what happens.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2012

I made a 'guide' for Jayce recently which some of you might find interesting. Basically it is build notes with math and theories on why building AD on Jayce is the best call, followed by building IE/crit later on once you have significant AD.

The quick version is that a 400 AD Jayce with 100% crit at 260% crit dmg will literally hit for 4056 damage in 0.8 seconds with Hyper Charge! After the patch, you can use it as an Attack Resetter a lot more accurately now for another 1.0 ratio (another 1000 dmg)
Obviously that is a ridiculous scenario but it demonstrates how well his Hypercharge scales endgame. I routinely get several thousand damage bursts in with Jayce in dominion with just 1 IE, a Pros Blade, Last Whisper, and 2 crit cloaks, which is a reasonable endgame build.

Remember, Jayce has 10% Apen from mastery, 12% from the map, 40% from last whisper, and up to 25% from his Ult's 1st shot ability. It combines (multiplicatively) into a 66% armor pen which is a lot!

Sadly, the link gets messed up when turned into a URL so you have to add www in front of it and manually cut&paste.
dominatedominion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=129&t=757

Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R

08-28-2012

That's a scary guide (mean that as a compliment).

Quote:
This guide is for TOP LANE Jayce. Bottom lane is really more about countering your opponent and I don't feel Jayce is exceptionally good at bottom lane, not from level 1 anyways. I certainly haven't seen bot lane Jayce's doing particularly well, nor have I heard many good strategies vs various common botlane enemies.
Bottom lane Jayce is a dunk master. He can safely push the wave from afar with his ranged Q, so as long as he maintains mana he can at least stalemate the lane. Against melee champions who want to gap close (Jax, Riven) he can knock them back with his E, switch to gun, and shoot them.

Against ranged champions who want to zone, Jayce can poke with his Q. Once they are low Jayce can use his gate and his hammer Q to gap close and kill them.

Jayce has three escapes from ganks: his gate, his weapon transformation, and his knock back.

Balance ides for Jayce (only implement one of these):
Large mana cost on R
Large cool down on R
Shared cool downs on abilities (Using E in hammer mode would put gun mode E on cool down).

Warrrrax

08-29-2012

I understand Jayce advantages in bottom lane at midgame and beyond, as I wind up going bot with him eventually to bail someone out. But early game is a problem.

Vs melee champs he has to STAY in hammer form at all times. This is the only way he can counter a gapcloser by slow/knockback and immediately change to cannon form and punish them. If hes in cannon form, he is STUCK there for 6 seconds and he will lose the trade, as they will get their gapcloser, autoattack,attackresetter, in exchange for your gapcloser autoattack and knockback.

This means that Jayce can't effectively harass melee since hes stuck in melee form.

Against ranged foes, his Q/E has a 12 second cooldown. Yes he can stalemate the lane once he hits level 7 but until then can get steamrollered. Even then, he is not really a melee champ. He might drop a gate, queue up hypercharge, goto hammer, Gapclose them, triple melee, and activate his relatively bad aura. But thats it. Hes just autoattacking at that point onward. Even using his knockback will just allow them to kite him easier.

I keep hearing how great Jayce is bottom lane, but I have yet to see a jayce start out bottom and do really really well against a non retarded enemy.

MyDeadGrandma

08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Vs melee champs he has to STAY in hammer form at all times.
WHAT? You're kidding, right? If he cant hit his opponent with Q/E, he can just burst down the creep wave from a 1k range distance. If you cant predict when the melee is about to gapclose you at that range, and switch to hammer form before they engage, that's the player being retarded.

And if they run at you BEFORE you set your Q/E off? They'll take a massive physical damage blow to the face THEN hit for a large amount of magic damage. Not even Jax trades that much early on.

Warrrrax

08-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
WHAT? You're kidding, right? If he cant hit his opponent with Q/E, he can just burst down the creep wave from a 1k range distance. If you cant predict when the melee is about to gapclose you at that range, and switch to hammer form before they engage, that's the player being retarded.

And if they run at you BEFORE you set your Q/E off? They'll take a massive physical damage blow to the face THEN hit for a large amount of magic damage. Not even Jax trades that much early on.
My post was about EARLY GAME where Jayce doesnt burst down any creep waves with level 1 Q.

You also have to assume your enemy is not a braindead idiot. Running straight at Jayce when his Q is up is obviously not super smart. A melee gapcloser will not necessarily charge as soon as they are in range. They might fake it, move towards em, but not charge. Jayce changes into hammer form...and then the enemy moves back now that Jayce has no range and will hit a few creeps.
They will also use the bushes (not just standing there waiting to be Qed) to approach Jayce.

Once Jayce is in hammer form and switches to Ranged form, he is a victim! He has no knockback for 6 seconds which is an excellent time for Xin/Jax/whoever to charge him and beat him down.

I am a decent Jayce player and by knowing how he works, I took a 5-4-X Xin toplane to beat up the 8-1-0 Jayce who was doing really well bottom lane vs my scrubby ally. I kicked the **** out of him.
While 1 personal account doesnt prove anything at all, it does at least illustrate my belief that much of 'Jayce OP' comes from the fact that many don't know how he works very well. They can learn how to counter and beat him.

I will admit that midgame Jayce can sit at his tower and stalemate the lane very effectively. But lots of champs can do that.

MyDeadGrandma

08-30-2012

Level 1 Q? Why isn't that level 2 before you leave base and level 3 by the time you're level 5, where it does 1 shot the back wave, and half hit the melee?