Questions about Morgana- Enlighten me!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Luxiere

08-26-2012

Hey there.

I just got Morgana and she seems pretty awesome. Any piece of advice, help, and answers would be very appreciated!

Some questions:

After Dorans and all the starting items, is it fine for me to rush hourglass?

When does a Morgana roam? Is there a particular level recommended or a skill needed refreshed?

About her ult, should I follow people while I'm doing it even though it's dangerous? For example, if I ulted Gragas and he runs to tower, should I follow him?

What is the max number of shackles I can land?

Does she have any hard counters nearly impossible to defeat?

I'm a smart cast lover. Is it fine if I use smart cast on her?

She seemed to be ALWAYS banned on low ELO rank- does this happen on high ELO too?

How does a Morgana gank?

Is Morgana capable of stealing blues alone?

Can a Morgana start farming with W right away from the beginning?

I get Q first, but max W first then Q, is this fine?

Lastly, are there any popular Morgana streamer?

Phew. I think this is a lot of questions, all I can think of at the moment. Even if you can just answer a single question, it would be lovely.

beeread

08-26-2012

After Dorans and all the starting items, is it fine for me to rush hourglass?
- Yes

When does a Morgana roam? Is there a particular level recommended or a skill needed refreshed?
- Morgana roams when she has pushed the lane to their tower forcing the enemy to stay for the experience and gold, therefore increasing her presence and potentially her gold and experience through ganks. Also be wary of the enemy jungle and his position.

About her ult, should I follow people while I'm doing it even though it's dangerous? For example, if I ulted Gragas and he runs to tower, should I follow him?
-If you can't get bursted down, yes. If you have black shield on to avoid ulti, yes.

What is the max number of shackles I can land?
-5. It's rare to do that though.

Does she have any hard counters nearly impossible to defeat?
- Mordekaiser denies morg really hard to the point you're forced to roam while he pushes on your tower. Or if you jungler decides to gank but even that is risky cause he dumps. Talon mid is also harsh. Fizz causes problems. I hear vlad does well against morg, has wave clear and good sustain.

I'm a smart cast lover. Is it fine if I use smart cast on her?
- Yes, I smart cast everything except for veigar stun

She seemed to be ALWAYS banned on low ELO rank- does this happen on high ELO too?
- No, bans are centered around new champs, FoTM, and against champions that disrupt well (blitz alistar naut malph etc.) or strong global presence (TF noct)

How does a Morgana gank?
- Run into the lane you want to gank and hit the dark binding, tormented soil ideally before it hits so you get an extra hit in before the opponent can move out. You can flash in and ult forcing their flash making it easier to land the binding, or if their flash is burned then it's guaranteed kill. It's pretty simple

Is Morgana capable of stealing blues alone?
- Depends. I wouldn't try it any time before doing baron is possible

Can a Morgana start farming with W right away from the beginning?
- Yeah

I get Q first, but max W first then Q, is this fine?
- Yeah, not sure if most optimal, I prefer getting 2-3 in tormented soil, just enough for the back line creeps, and then maxing binding for bigger burst.

Lastly, are there any popular Morgana streamer?
- Curse runes morgana a lot in their matches, she's an effective champion and pretty easy to play if you have good decision making. I can't think of any ap mids who stream morgana on a regular basis though.

If you have anymore questions feel free to add me, I'd be glad to help more. 1900 elo too stronk

Kyzrathnosh

08-26-2012

I'm going to point out that Morg's ult keeps on being channeled if you're in the Guardian Angel's revival phase. Sneaky move to pull just before you die.

HavocKY

08-26-2012

1: Usually the hour glass is around the second main item Morg rushes, but depends on how quick you think you are going to be team fighting, In team fights you want to be in the middle of their team creating chaos with your ult. either the whole team will get stunned and eat fairly decent amount of damage, or it will cause them to split up, in which case, your team then goes after the squisher target such as that AD carry or that AP assassin and removes them from the team fight equation. Your survivability only increase with the hourglass so as soon as you flash ult, they dont just burst you down before it can go off.

2. Roaming on her is fine, but usually you are worried more about mid. If you know your opponent went back, and your ult is up and you see that the enemies are overextending, coming in behind with your ult sets up easy coordinated ganks with your team. Make sure you ping and they know your coming, Also make sure they have enough health for it to work. Last thing you want to do is go try to help gank and they don't have enough life to come in and help you. Common sense and basic analytic skills go along way. Also you don't want to deviate away from your farm to much, unless your situation really calls for it, Protect your team, but try for ganks that have a very high success rate, to help facilitate that farm you are leaving behind. If your ganks fail then you have just missed farm that could of helped you get both a gold and level advantage over the opposing mid, basically losing a great chance to snowball.

3: Morgana almost always ganks the same way she goes in for kills versus the mid. You initiate with your ult. Ideally once it goes off, you pool right underneath them as soon as it does. The reduces their magic resistance more for her Q to eat face, allows for greater time for your pool to chip away at their life. After you landed your Q its usually time to ignite. That does the vast majority of chars in. It is possible to gank earlier but not really recommended, but very skill shot reliant on landing your Q. At level six with your ult your chances increase exponentially.

4: Stealing a blue with Morg either takes some coordination with a teammate or requires you having pretty decent vision on the enemy blue and timing a perfect Q, easier done if the enemy's blue is warded particularly in their bush right next to blue because that is where the smart players will kill they blue.

5: Smart cast is fine with more and IMO definitely the preferred way to go. And as for her shackles, as long as the enemy team is in initial range and remains so they ALL can be shackled.

6: As for farming with her w right away, its probably not that smart to spam it early on as it will eat alot of your mana with little net benefit. Focus more on last hitting and minor harass, minding how much mana you have. If you enemy is smart and playing back behind their minions so you can never harass with Q, Then wait til they walk foreward at their caster minions and pool underneath their feet. That way the spell then does double duty in harass and CS. Its better to just worry about last hitting early on to keep that creep score up, and then once your w hits level 3 then each wave, put it under the caster minions and clear half the wave, quick easy and from a safe distance. Depending on who you are laning against how aggressive/defensive they are in lane its not a horrible idea to try and land a few auto attacks. Your passive many times will replenish that life you lost in the exchange in short order. Just be smart about doing it, watch for gank set ups, and don't over extend doing so.

6. As for skilling order, sometimes you want to consider taking your shield a little earlier when laning against AP with good harass and CC. Many times one point in the ability can/will save you from ganks and stuns. Using your judgement goes a long way with that decision. Are they landing alot of ap harrass/ cc on you? Then its definately should be on your mind. Against many it is what makes morg and very hard target to gank.

7. As far as hard counters, Kassadin is definitely one. You go in to start the kill with your ult he just ults away gaining distance and breaking yours and his is back up in four seconds. A smart player going against a Morg knows its all about surviving her combo burst, because if they can dodge, move out of range of some of the damage all of a sudden Morg is vulnerable and in trouble. Prime example would be a good fizz dodging by hoping up on his trident.

Hope this helps, I am in no way any kind of expert, but alot of this is accepted morg knowledge. Good hunting!

Magus Crow

08-26-2012

I tend to start boots + 3 or 4 pots for most lanes on Morg but I digress. When to get Hourglass is based on the circumstances of how quickly you think you are going to need it. The Hourglass is mostly for the active so you can walk into the middle of a teamfight pop ulti and Hourglass and wreak Havok while NOT getting melted for doing it (Kennen has much the same concept). If you arent anticipating teamfights in your future you may want to hold off on the Hourglass and get yourself a Deathcap instead.

Morg pushes lane pretty hard. The best time to go roaming is after having pushed your opposing laner out of lane via death or blue pill and pushing the minion wave to opponent's tower.

I'd say dive with it only if you are absolutly certain that you can secure the kill and not die in return.

I THINK (not really up on my Morg play) it can get all 5 of them if they happen to be in range.

Again not really up on Morg but I would guess Talon and Galio would be people you'd want to avoid. Ahri and TF can probably give you a hard time of things as they can push just as hard as you can and might harass better than you. The Ultra rare mid Urgot can poke the holy living hell out of you.

Smart Cast is fine on her IMO.

Not really.

Pretty much you try to hit either a dark binding or an ult. You've got no gap closer or hard CC so this is what your are reduced to. Probably best to sit in the brush and try to line it up cleanly or try and flash to a clear shot (dont really recommend this but I think its viable).

I doubt if you are going to do it with Soil but you can probably steal with Binding. Try and be sneaky about it though failing and having the enemy jungle coming at you without binding is NOT a situation you really want to be in.

Early Soil isnt going to clear a wave by itself. I believe that it does about 1/4 of the melee minion's health and 1/3 of caster minion's health if they stand in it for full ticks and you've got no AP behind it.

Yes.

Not that I know of. Not a real streamer guy though.

Cenerae

08-26-2012

Most of these points have been addressed, but I'm gonna chip in on a couple of them.

Rushing Hourglass? Generally no. You should rarely be in a position where you need it as your first major item - however, if teamfights are breaking out early and you can't survive them long enough to ult properly, then go ahead and get it.

Counters to Morgana? In general, physical damage dealers, and heavy pusher champs. Someone like Pantheon or Caitlyn will make your laning experience miserable. Someone like Mordekaiser or Sion pushes harder than you can and with less effort, leaving you eventually OOM and autoattacking at your tower.

Is she often banned? Yes. I'm not so sure she's worthy of the ban slot with the current selection of champs to pick from, but I guess most people don't want to risk losing because of a fed Morgana, rather than just counterpick her.

Can you farm with W right away? No. You need rank 3 W to be able to take out all the caster minions in a wave from full health, spamming it before that will drain your mana for little return. Use it more sparingly before that.

Skill order? R>W>Q>E, with 1 in E at 4. Getting Q or W first will depend on the lane matchup and whether you need to invade or defend against an invasion at lvl 1. If you expect to be fighting at lvl 1, then grab your Q. Otherwise get W, as it gives you a better zoning tool.