Rango, the Cursed Gunslinger

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MentalPause

08-25-2012

Rango, The Cursed Gunslinger

I'm new to "creating" champions, and I just couldn't get this idea out of my head and just wanted to throw it out there and see what people thought. I love the wild west and the idea of combining that with high fantasy just gets me all riled up. The concept comes from a pen and paper rpg I use to play called deadlands, where sometimes when heroes died they could be possessed by demons that would give them un-natural powers. I thought it would be neat to combine a gunslinger with what basically amounts to a mummies curse. Rango, the Cursed Gunslinger was what I settled on.

Overview:
Race: Human
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 90 lbs. (He's skin and bones)
Attributes: Ranged, Carry

Hes a ranged carry champion that focuses on using basic attacks and a passive that increases their effectiveness. I tried my hardest to "balance" out his abilities and stats, using champions as a reference and reading some of the guides in this forun. this is what I came up with.

Abilities: "I'ma kill em' dead"

His basic attack is fairly simple: He quickly draws his gun and fires off a shot then re-holsters it right away.

I had some very conceptual ideas I was working with and think I worked it out fairly well. I really liked the idea of Rango "drawing a bead" and waiting for the right time to strike, which lead me to my passive.

Passive: The Quick and the Dead

Quote:
Rango bides his time taking careful aim at his next target. Every 3 seconds that rango does not make a basic attack he gains one stack of the Quick and the Dead.(up to 5) Each Stack gives his next basic attack an extra 6% critical damage an extra 3% critical chance. Whenever Rango uses a basic attack 1 stack of the quick and the dead is removed.
(I'm worried about the power level here. I looked at Caitlyns' passive and took that as a reference point, which made me think a diminishing returns passive like this promotes the choose your time mentality I was going for.)

The Q, the W, and the E: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

This is where the gunslinger/undead idea really shines. There was so much I could do here. I decided to balance things out, making sure we know he isn't just your everyday gunslinger.

Attachment 523903Q: Fan the Hammer: (active)

Quote:
Rango shoots from the hip and lets the bullets fly. Dealing extra damage and knocking himself back.

Rango fires three basic attacks at the targeted enemy, each attack will deal 60/65/70/75/80/% of Rango's attack damage, and knocking himself back with each shot. Applies on hit effects and uses stacks of the Quick and the Dead.

Range: 650
Cost: 50/60/70/80/90 mana
Cooldown: 10/9/8/7/6 seconds
Knockback distance: 150 per shot
(This is the bread and butter damage spell, with a little bonus effect. Seemed on point and really shows off what he can do. I really like the ides that he's so light that doing something like fanning the hammer (or unloading your six-shooter) would push him back a bit. Hard to stand up to that sort of thing when your only skin and bones.)

Attachment 523901W: Deadeye/Gutwrench: (active) (reworked)

Quote:
Rango stares down an enemy with his with his one "good" eye, temporarily shaking their reslove and exposing their weak-spot.

Rango places a curse on the targeted champion that lasts 6 seconds, during that time all basic attacks on that champion increase the armor penetration of all incoming basic attacks by 5%. Stacks up to 6 times.

Gutwrench: Rango can activate the ability again to cause the targeted enemy to shred from within casusing damage over time to the target for the remaining time the target is effected.

Range: 800
Cost: 50 mana
Gutwrench Damage: 2% of the targets maximum health every 1/2 second
Cooldown: 24/22/20/18/16
(EDIT: I reworked this ability a bit, tried to bring it more in line with other similar abilities. I in-visioned it as basically he pulls back his cowboy hat to reveal his demonic red eye that shoots a thin lazer beam at the target. I wanted a de-buff, something that helped him out in group play and with ganking. This is what I settled on. I didn't see anything that worked like this and the only thing I found that was close was Warricks' Hunter's call, and use that as a reference. I most likely missed something and am a little concerned that the AP boost may be too much. But I also tried to balance that out by giving it a longer cooldown.)

Attachment 523904E: Mirage: (active) (Completely reworked)

Quote:
Rango needs some time to reload and uses his experiences in the desert to shroud himself in a mirage. He becomes partially translucent and his body turns into sand flowing with the wind.

Passive: If Rango is reduced to 10/15/20/25/30% health and Mirage is on cooldown, Mirages' cooldown is instantly refreshed. This effect cannot occur more than once every 15 seconds.

Rango shrouds himself in a mirage, gaining a shield that absorbs the next 3 basic attacks. For each attack he absorbs he gains one stack of The Quick and the Dead.

Cost: 60 mana
Cooldown: 22/20/18/16/14
( I completely reworked this ability. I liked the original thematically, however after a suggestion I decided it needed to be reworked. I got rid of the flash and the invulnerability, but gave him the ability to shield attacks and still regain stacks of The Quick and the Dead. I added the passive ability as I think it works for this, giviing it a limited use function as well.)
(A note on the animation: I see it as Rango turning into a sand figure of himself that's kinda distorted and flowing around, wiping and replenishing parts of his body.)

Attachment 523902R: Saddle Up: (active) (Reworked to make it more interesting)

Quote:
Its time for Rango to saddle up and lay down the law. He summons his skeletal horse; Sadie, from the depths of nowhere and mounts up gaining bonuses. Rango temporarily gains bonus attack speed, movement speed and attack power, he also does not lose stacks of the Quick and the Dead while this ability is active. Lasts 15 seconds.

Stat Enhancements: 35/50/65
Cost: 150 mana
Cooldown: 80 seconds
(EDIT: Reworked his ultimate to add to his theme. I didn't like this ability from the beginning. It seemed boring, but I liked the effect so I decided to add another element to it. Summoning a skeletal horse for him to ride for 15 seconds just seems cool. So I got to keep the buff and made it more interesting. )

Stats: "Takes a lickin' and keeps on Tickin'"

Quote:
Health: 415 (+82)
Health Regen: 5.1 (+0.65)
Mana: 245 (+35)
Mana Regen: 6.5 (+0.55)
Range: 550
Attack Damage: 47 (+3)
Attack Speed: .658 (+3.1%)
Armor: 13 (+3.4)
Magic Res: 30
Movement Speed: 300
for the stats I spent a long time looking at champions that kind of do similar things, or that have similar play-styles that I think would fit Rango. As I stated before I am new to this and it seems like the stats fit what a Ranged/Carry might have.

Apperance: "Dust off and settle in"

Quote:
I'm no good at rendering, drawing or even coloring in the lines, so I'll write it out for you. There's nothing left to him. His skin is basically tanned leather and he keeps it all wrapped up in cloth, (Like a mummy) even his face, except for his right eye which he leaves open. Its basically an empty eye-socket with a vibrant red light inside, something "Special" the witch gave him when he was cursed, it allows him to see things others normally couldn't.

He wears a worn and tattered Duster (Leather Trench-coat) and dark black fedora with a white band. He pulls the front off the hat down over his "deadeye" so he doesn't see things he doesn't want to without even trying. He has a black vest on and off-white collared shirt. the noose the strung him up with still hangs around his neck. He's wearing thick looking brown pants and black cowboy boots with silver spurs on them. At his hip hes got 2 bandoleers of bullets crossing each other and an over-sized six-shooter that glows a faint red.

Basically he looks tattered and strands of the cloth flow behind him and under his coat. Whenever he walks you can see sand forming around his feet.
LORE: "Been a long time since I came to this god-awful desert."

Quote:
Rango had a good life on the outskirts of the Sharima desert. Folk went along good enough. Had a fmaily, daughters and sons, kids and grand kids. Being one of the oldest and most experienced gunman in their quaint villiage wasn't long before they up and made him law. Even being decades older than the bandits and general misbehavors, his gun was still faster and on target. Didn't take long to make a name for himself, something of death dealer, judge and execuitioner on the foolhardy. Wasn't much to him, he just wanted to keep things in check, just so happens that he was too good at it, and that attracted attention.

It was a hot day like every other, sun high in the sky. He had heard tell just the other day about a group of bandits drawing closer, attacking and pillaging on their way. He also heard they had themselves a witch of sorts, spouting words of bile and lazer beams from her eyes. He wasn't very partial to magic, manitous and incantations gave him the heeby-jeebys. So he got up that morning, knowing full well they'd be coming that day. He dusted off his hat and took his horse, sadie, out for a stroll. Figured he'd go on ahead and give them a chance to turn back. He killed himself 15 bandits that day before he was overrun, but something strange happened that day. Thier witch, enamored with his squinted glare and grit, decided not to kill him. "A specimen of this nature needs something more" and she cast a curse on him. They wrapped him in cloth like a mummy and hung him from an old tree.

Well time went by and rango felt his body decay, nothing but dried leather skin and bones left, but he could still move and think, remember. Finally that rope they used to string him up snapped and he got his first taste of freedom in what felt like an eternity.He wrapped himself up and headed home, only to find the desert took it over. As best he could figure it had been a liftime he hung there. He found some old clothes, one of his old pistols (made it work by sheer will alone) and headed out to find that durn witch that cursed him, so he can move on.
(For anyone interested I created the witch that cursed Rango here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ghlight=breeta She doesn;t have the same theme as rango, an evolved into something very different, however I think it still works.)

Dialogue
Rango has an older mans voice: talks in a rustic old west style with a slight twang.

Champion Selection:
"Time to lay down the law, Mount up!"

Movement:
"Dust off, and move out"
"Time to Mosey"
"Where's my saddle"

Attacking:
"One shot, One Kill"
"Duck and cover"
"Hey-owdy"
"Ima Kill em' dead"

Taunt:
"You couldn't hit the Broadside of a Pyramid"
"I've got all the time in the world, but I ain't got time to waste on you"

Conclusion "I ain't dead Yet!" I really want some input on the abilities, and I don't really know if I'm completely off base or right on target. I really appreciate any constructive criticism you all could send my way, and thank you ahead of time. Also this is still a work in progress, I'm working on the formatting and what not and will be adding more to it as I go along. So let me know what you think.

Change Log:
8/26: For some reason all my formatting got all wonky, so I fixed it up.
9/9: Decided to fix some formatting. Added Dialogue.
9/9: Made some major changes to his abilities, aesthetically and mechanically. Changed his W, E and R. The R i just added an animation. For reference here are the old abilities.
Quote:
His W:
Rango stares down an enemy with his with his one "good" eye, temporarily shaking their reslove and exposing their weak-spot.

Rango places a curse on the targeted champion that lasts 6 seconds, during that time all basic attacks on that champion gain a bonus (15/30/45/60/75)% armor penetration.

Cost: 40 mana
Quote:
His E: Grit: Rango stands his ground and prepares for a hard fight. When Grit is activated Rango turns himself into a sand statue becoming invulnerable for .75 seconds and gains the ability to use Vamoose.

If Rango does not use vamoose he stands his ground making him unable to move and remains invulnerable for 1.5 seconds, during that time he gains one stack of the Quick and the Dead for each half second the effect lasts.

Cost: 90/100/110/120/130 mana
Cooldown: 22/20/18/16/14 seconds

Vamoose: Rango teleports to a targeted location leaving behind the sand statue of himself which explodes after 1.5 seconds dealing 50/75/100/125/150 physical dmagage and turning the area into a sink hole, slowing affected enemies by 50% for 2 seconds.

Range: 1000
AOE diameter: 400
9/10: Added Icons, yay.
9/13: Changed the dodging effect from his E to a shield that absorbs basic attacks, since dodging is no longer in LoL.
9/17: Added a link to Breeta, the witch that cursed rango. More changes coming soon.
9/18: Made changes to his passive (changing %'s and making it effect crit damage and crit chance instead), also changed his Q to % of AD damage rather than a flat base, seemed fitting.

YellowMonkeeMK2

09-08-2012

I find that the E might be a little bit too much.
- It can be used first to negate damage and counter initiate.
- If caught out you can activate it, teleport away and flash while being invulnerable, this combination with his Q would give him way too much mobility especially for an AD like character.
Secondly, His W- It gives "WAY" too much Armor Penetration.
- Darius's pull gives him plus 35% and lets be honest people complain about that enough.
- This stacked with his ultimate he will be doing extra attack damage and speed while having 75% Armor Pen is ridiculous. It would be nerfed in no time.
PROS- This is a design for an ADC which are supposed to be right click orientated. The abilities are great they just need to be tuned down a bit. Perhaps reduce the scaling ratio's and maybe instead of him going invulnerable (without it even being an ult) you could give him a shield based on his total mana/health - You decide on that, or even make him dodge the next 3 or 4 next basic attacks. Still negating plenty of damage and being suseptible to AP damage like an ADC should be.

MentalPause

09-08-2012

Hey YellowMokeeMK2, thanks for the response.

I see what your getting at with all the mobility. I like the idea of dodging the next "x" number of basic attacks, But I still want the refresh on the Quick and the Dead stacks. How do you feel about Letting him dodge the next three basic attacks instead of the "flash" and for each attack he dodges he gains one stack of the quick and the dead? I could cut it down to a one use ability rather than a dual use, like Fizzs' Playful/Trickster. Also I would assume the mana could would probably become a static number, rather than scaling. That way I could keep the knockback from the Q, and reduce some of that mobility. I could keep the fluffy part saying he begins to flow like sand on the wind or something.

As for the W: How about this change. Rango curses the target, each basic attack that hits the target increases the armor penetration of all incoming basic attacks by 5%, stacks up to 6 times. It caps out at 30% at this point and has a build up to get to that maximum, which could happen quickly but the buff lasts only 6 seconds... I would even consider reducing it to 5 seconds or even less if necessary.

The Q i think needs to be scaled down a bit as well, say maybe something like 15/30/45/60/75 bonus damage per shot?

Thanks for the look.

MentalPause

09-09-2012

I made a bunch of changes to Rango. I changed up some of his abilities, and added aesthetic elements to his ultimate.

I reduced the armor pen on his w and added a build up to get to its maximum potential, capping it out at 30%, but keeping it so it only lasts for 6 seconds. His e got completely reworked. I really like what I changed it to better, even though I think it looses some of his get away power, but he still has a solid amount of mobility from his q and his r. The former abilities are in the change log for reference. I also made a lot of formatting changes.

Let me know what you think folks.

DryRun

09-09-2012

Hey, great champion! really solid theme and abilities you have this well tied together. your numbers are great, nothing leaps out at me as too strong or much underpowered, i will give you a play by play,

Passive - Perfect AD carry passive - excellent bonus, wont be OP in lane because of minion farming...all great abilities should have choices, do i skip these couple minions so we can initiate a fight with these guys?

Q - its a good spell as is, but i think with a self knock back its more defensive then offensive, just to throw it out there i would make the spell - for the next six seconds rangos basic attacks deal % extra damage, and knock him back slightly - actually come to think of it, its a great offensive spell as well, you can use it to kite away from enemies, OR if you on between them and their turret, you attack, push yourself in the right direction to fire again. maybe thats already what you had in mind.

W - great spell, armour pen for ad carry. naturally a good choice.

E - as long as he can still attack, its perfect maybe make it scale with levels? (the hp % where it refreshes maybe?)

R - haha perfect ult. AD singed time!

well thought out and very good kit. please check out my AD here - http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?t=2496912&

MentalPause

09-09-2012

Thanks for the comments DryRun.

It was my intention to be able to use the Q offensively and defensively. As for the E he can still attack. I was a little worried about the Passive, thanks for a little reassurance that its on target. I see what you mean with the E, maybe something like 10/15/20/25/30%? Much higher than that and it seems like it would be active every time the cooldown was up.

I'll check your guy out next time I get a chance.

MentalPause

09-10-2012

Updated with icons.

I also have a new champion up if anyone is interested in checking him out. http://http://na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=2560490

He's a support champion that uses a cursed paddle to debilitate his enemies.

himynameisdanny

Senior Recruiter

09-10-2012

damn, nice man, but is there any chance that riot, say, likes your idea and makes this a real LoL champ?

MentalPause

09-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisdanny View Post
damn, nice man, but is there any chance that riot, say, likes your idea and makes this a real LoL champ?
Glad you like him, and I think the best answer is no.

MentalPause

09-13-2012

So i was thinking about ways to change up some of his abilities. It seems like he would spend way to much time auto attacking, and really having nothing else to do (he's an ADC and thats what he should be doing, but being able to not do anything else seems bad and boring). I want to provide some choices for other ways to deal damage. Currently one of the ways i'm thinking of adding this effect is by changing up his W: Deadeye to the following:

Quote:

Rango places a curse on the targeted champion that lasts 6 seconds, during that time all basic attacks on that champion increase the armor penetration of all incoming basic attacks by 5%. Stacks up to 6 times.

Gutwrench: Rango can activate the ability again to cause the targeted enemy to shred from within casusing damage over time to the target for the remaining time the target is effected.

Cost: 40 mana
Gutwrench Damage: 2% of the targets maximum health every 1/2 second (Or every second)
He still gains the Armor Pen, but also has the option to deal damage via a DoT that is based off of maximum Health. As is, even if it's used immeditaley after casting deadeye, it would cause the target to bleed for 24% of thier maximum health over 6 seconds. This seems like it may be a bit high, maybe 2% per second, capping at 12% of their health.

Since Dodge has been removed from LoL I changed his E to give him a shield that absorbs basic attacks. Also regarding his E I was thinking of possible adding a speed boost whenever he absorbs a basic attack.

Also, I added a scaling effect to the passive on his E, making the refresh at 10/15/20/25/30% health.

Let me know what you think?