Do Kills Matter As A Support Class?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BenderATL

08-25-2012

Still fairly new to LoL, just starting to dabble with support classes. Using Soraka right now and I have been able to utilize her heals to keep my Carry alive and my infuse on them as well with good success. While I am spamming my starcall when I have enough mana and am not needing to heal, as well as my auto attack but I do not seem to get many kills in. Last game my carry had about 23 kills or so and I only got in around 5 myself, but with 1 death for each of us and 16 assists. Is that acceptable and expected as a support class to not have very many kills, as long as you are fulfilling your support duties? Or do I need to focus more on trying to dps?

naotasan

08-25-2012

You're talking about Dominion right? Kills are not nearly as important in Dominion as they are in other game types.

Vandite

08-25-2012

No you are fine, your job is the support your team via warding and setting up kills to get the main damage on your team fed, you will be expected to have more assists than kills, but don't allow that to turn you off.
since you ARE a huge help to your team and they will take note of it. even if they don't verbally say it.

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-25-2012

What's relevant is that after the end of the the game you get a victory screen. Do not listen to people that claim KDA or even worse, SCORE means anything, because the first one means little, the latter is absolute trash and has no value.

HaIfhearted

08-25-2012

You say you went 5/1/16 as a support?
That is an AMAZING ratio for a support.

Whatever it is you were doing, keep doing it.

Your expected k/d/a depends on what type of champion you are playing.
-Well played AP casters and supports usually get a low number of kills and death, but a lot of assists.
-Well played tanks tend to have a few more deaths and assists, because their job is to be on the front line as a damage soak.
-Carries are expected to have extremely high k/d/a's, as their role is to dish out damage and stay alive as long as possible.

Well, as long as you win, k/d/a doesn't really matter.
Kills are merely a means to an end in Dominion.

inFe eD

08-25-2012

Kills don't matter. KDA does.

lbgsloan

08-26-2012

The only scores that matters are the HQ scores. If someone is 0/20/2, then there might be a larger problem however.

konfetarius

08-26-2012

Quote:
Kills don't matter. KDA does.
The consummate KSer strikes again. He only says that to distract everyone from his blatant and outrageous thievery.

Mindllapse

08-27-2012

kill count is almost a non-factor in dominion since you only get 100g for a kill on someone without killstreaks, and the 100g is what you get in like 10 seconds of the global passive gold gain

that being said, some support/tank builds like CDR tank alistar can have a lot of kills due to having low-cd medium damage spammy abilities (very easy to rack up a lot of kills with Headbutt even if you aren't trying to last hit with it)

larkhill

08-27-2012

the only times kill counts matter is at the extremes. if ur getting too many or none at all, you're most likely focusing too much or too little on kills or towers. you need a good mix of both as well as the right timing.

when you pick a support, do make sure that your team has enough dps to win a teamfight. too many supports/tanks and not enough dps can make for a pretty horrible experience as well.