How do I not get zoned as Swain?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThorRush

08-25-2012

I'm not much of an AP player, but I can play Rumble decently. I dropped Swain awhile ago after a Kennen destroyed me, and a Karthus did the same thing to me today.

I think I can handle his mana problems, but I can't survive to farm mid lane with so much poke. Are there any Swain players who know what to do?

ProPlayerEd

08-25-2012

Normally I play SUPER passive till my ult.

I don't really see how Karthus manage to Zone you since he is all about farm early-mid then destroy late game.

I think you just need a little more practice avoiding skill shots since that's what karthus mainly does early game, Spam Q's.

One of Kennens main damage is his Q as well and is a skill shot, so standing in front of a minion = miss.

Kennen is one of those "I can't ever lose my lane" champions if played properly but that doesn't mean he can win it.

Kennen is soft around a first few lvls unless he gets a giants belt. Consider playing more passive and just try to out farm him until you have your ult where you can start to bully him a bit.

( This also applies to Karthus )

I'm not the best Swain player but this is what I hope is correct :P

GL and HF in LoL Fellow Summoner!

SanduskyCase

08-25-2012

Swain has lane dominance. Assert it.

E them at level 1.
EQ them at 2.
EQ them at 3.
EQW / WEQ them at 4.
repeat.

Just go in, poke, get out. Don't give them a window to retaliate. Punish them for last hitting.

I don't know how on Earth you lost to a Karthus. All you have to do is step on his Lay Waste and then ult to regen. This denies his farming ability and makes him lose miserably. Same concept with Vlad.

Sokolniki

08-25-2012

It seems the issue for you is skillshot dodging. You may want to get a few MS Quints to help you with your Boots+3 Pots opening to help you with the early levels vs skill shot AP's. Still, as Swain, while I'll pop a spell any time I'm at 100% Mana just to avoid wasting my early mana regen and passive gains, I remain relatively passive until lvl 6 as Swain. Once I hit 6, I'll pop my abilities for a short exchange and head into the jungle where the jungler should already be softening up Golem Buff for me.

ThorRush

08-25-2012

Thanks for the tips guys. Rumble really doesn't care about being harassed, so maybe I've been playing Swain wrong pre-6. Yeah, I always seemed to get hit by skillshots whenever I went to last hit, so I'll try movespeed quints.

Shadow Master

08-25-2012

Karthus and Kennen both use skillshots that lose their potency with minions near you.

So just hug those minions and you're fine.

Ouroborous HD

08-26-2012

for those who are asking how he could lose to a karthus dont forget that good karthus players will lead you into their lay waste and a great karthus player will consistently lead you into lay wastes that only hit you. since swain needs to be relatively close to get his max damage output karthus can easily turn up the pressure with wall of pain and defile. taking all this into consideration i find it easy to believe he got zoned by a karthus

Asderition

08-26-2012

Lane dominance is psychological, you are looking at it with a negative outlook, EXPECTING to lose the lane. I only ever lose lanes to Ahri with Swain, and Yorick if I go top. Aside from them, I KNOW I can dominate the enemy. Go into a lane with knowing you can hurt them and you will. you have the best trade with your e, one e and an auto attack and you have guaranteed taking a fourth of their health. Do not rank your snare please. I hate when swains max their snare. drop an e, crow his ass to slow him and drop some autos. You will win lane, be confident!

t3hep1cf47m4n

08-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRush View Post
I'm not much of an AP player, but I can play Rumble decently. I dropped Swain awhile ago after a Kennen destroyed me, and a Karthus did the same thing to me today.

I think I can handle his mana problems, but I can't survive to farm mid lane with so much poke. Are there any Swain players who know what to do?

karthus has much better close range stuff than you do, so just do your W+E combo (if you don't / can't land W, then don't even bother trying to E, just continue to farm)

if the lane starts getting pushed your way, then start using W on the minions rather than trying to trap him to avoid being completely shutout from farm.