@Riot - I want to work for you... am I on the right track?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenotime Gaze

08-24-2012

I posted this a while ago, but waited until it was more likely to be seen and therefore more appropriate. Since you're hiring again, I'd say now is the time.

I have long been contemplating applying for at least an internship at Riot, but my self-confidence (which is pretty low in general) and my lack of strong enough work (in my personal opinion) have held me back from considering this option. However, considering my plans for the future, I want to know if the path I have set for myself would allow me to make a strong enough portfolio to be worth of consideration, especially after watching your champion retrospective video.

First off, I am currently an artist about to enter my senior year in college, studying a branch of art known as Visual Communications. In it, we gain skills and knowledge in Typography, Graphic Design, Illustration, and, most importantly, the very design elements and processes which you mentioned in your retrospective video, such as Iteration, Thematic and Conceptual consistency, and working towards a final product that is awesome and unique. It is largely seeing the parallels between your work and my current studies that prompts this post.

In addition to my artistic work (Illustration mostly), I also have planned an independent study focusing on applying the concepts i've learned to game design. Also, last semester I worked on a game design project with one of my professors and the computer science class for our state. The professor has these projects every semester, and I intend to assist in these projects as well. Lastly, even if I am unable to get an internship this coming summer with you all (as I plan to submit my work both in the fall (for the winter) and in the spring (for the summer)), I have the possibility to gain work experience at another company.

It is my hope and dream that I would be able to acquire the skills to join your crew, Riot. I have long admired your gaming philosophy, as well as your successes. Simply being part of your community throughout my college years has given me the insight into the principles of design in general and how they would apply to game design.

All I ask is for information as to what else I can do to improve my chances, because I intend to have more "making games" experience by the time I submit my work to you.

Xenotime Gaze

08-24-2012

oh wow, so many threads popped up! bump >.<

Xenotime Gaze

08-24-2012

another bump. :/ i really want this to be seen this time.

Weral

08-24-2012

post a pic

Runnykine

08-24-2012

I know I'm not a red, but why NOT apply and just see what happens?

Also, experience and education is great, but it is really important to represent yourself well and with confidence when you send out a resume and cover letter. Otherwise, you may be overlooked since someone was able to sell themselves and their skillset better. You gotta pimp yo'self out right.

I'm just mentioning this because I know several people who have been hired for jobs where they lacked both the particular experience and education for the position, but were able to land it through a good interview and/or cover letter.

I know this wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but don't let your doubts hold you back. Also free lengthy bump! Best of luck getting a red response.

Xenotime Gaze

08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnykine View Post
I know I'm not a red, but why NOT apply and just see what happens?

Also, experience and education is great, but it is really important to represent yourself well and with confidence when you send out a resume and cover letter. Otherwise, you may be overlooked since someone was able to sell themselves and their skillset better. You gotta pimp yo'self out right.

I'm just mentioning this because I know several people who have been hired for jobs where they lacked both the particular experience and education for the position, but were able to land it through a good interview and/or cover letter.

I know this wasn't exactly what you were looking for, but don't let your doubts hold you back. Also free lengthy bump! Best of luck getting a red response.
Thank you for your advice. and the main reason im not applying at present is that most of my design work thus far pertains more to advertising as opposed to game design/character design.

Xenotime Gaze

08-24-2012

bumpity!

Xenotime Gaze

08-26-2012

bump since zileas started posting again.

Dimes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2012

Bump

Shizuhara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2012

The internship details are laid out pretty specifically on their website. Besides that, based on what reds have said in the past, they look for people who are good at what they do and have a passion for games.

So, you don't necessarily have to make games to get the internship. Just make great art.