Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Does anybody else feel that Syndra's lore is boring?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lagginator

09-13-2012

Quote:
ThorRush:
So, because Syndra is wrong, the people who wrote her lore are wrong? I get that Syndra's lore is your least favorite, but aren't there other champs you don't like?

I don't particularly care that she's part of the League, in the same way I only care that Darius is part of the League because he's important for Noxus and he'll chop my head off.

Her entire theme, her kit, her personality, her background, are meant to be selfish and powerful. If her lore were different, what should it be?

1. She's a typical Ionian, looking for enlightenment or revenge on Noxus/Zaun. This doesn't work.
2. She's been corrupted by desire. This is what she is.
3. She's got connections to other people. This is not precluded by her current lore, but because of ... storyline focus, Riot won't show that in her bio.
4. ... enlighten me. What would you suggest? I'm sure Renekton Bot has a parody in the works, but I haven't seen popular serious alternatives (besides maybe Kassadin's daughter).

Post #6 on page 2 of this thread has a pretty good rewrite of the lore imo.
Quote:
Overlord Forte:
[link for your convenience]

Galgus

09-13-2012

I agree, post #6 on page 2 is good. It makes her kind of Magneto instead of a Ganon with a less interesting story.

ThorRush

09-13-2012

Well, I hadn't seen that. Yeah, those couple words are a significant change. In Overlord's bio:

1. Lamarck was right. Unless Syndra was actually raised by a Noxian in Ionia, he looks like he's trying to justify Syndra's personality by blaming her heredity. On the other hand, her upbringing may be important, but Riot wants to explain things like that with more than just one line in a bio.

2. Syndra cares about other people and there are other people like her. Overlord meant to do this, to justify her title as a ruler and make her more understandable. However, sovereign (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvrIFIjTGt0) (spoilers on a 5 year old game) does not necessarily mean ruler in the traditional sense. Riot specifically wrote Syndra's lore to show a disregard for other people - I think this was to show what she strives for, independence and absolute power. (i.e. we are each a (sovereign) nation) Parts of this intent survive in Overlord's rewrite and conflict with his changes to Syndra. (this is the most important point - will think and expand later - I'm back, here it is)

To give Syndra any measure of compassion for other people would be to develop her in a different direction. This might be what people are asking for - but it's already clear that's not what Riot intended, at least for her initial release. Ahri and Riven may feel compassion that caused them to change their ways - Mundo and Shaco see their victims as little more than funny animals. Syndra's just much more serious about her - inhumanity.

Now that I think about it, Syndra might be an attempt to diversify the League - something like Morgana (dark female mage) from Ionia.

3. He is trying to differentiate Syndra (willing) from Xerath (unwilling), but they are already different. Xerath sought power with a kind of reckless curiosity. In addition, there was a time he might have turned away from his pursuit for his love, Tabia, but that time is long past. Syndra is much younger, and she seeks power for power's sake. This is probably something to ask about in her AMA ... which ... may or may not be forthcoming? Is Syndra being ignored? Delayed? Rewritten?

Polljolly

09-15-2012

I bought her after I read her lore.

Amusing that someone thought she was paranoid schizophrenic, maybe that's why i liked her, i was diagnosed schizophrenic. Maybe that's why I liked her story, I'm crazy.

Deimus144

10-09-2012

That awkward moment when I realised that her lore is somewhat similar to that of wizards from diablo 3.

DOES RIOT STEAL STUFF FROM OTHER PEOPLE!?!?!

I mean seriously, renegade upstart? Hungry for power? The only difference is their motives. Wizards good, syndra bad.

And stupid too. Seriously? She kills her master just like that? All of us know that a mentors job is to teach, and he tried to teach her to control her power......

And then he dies....

Scumbag lore.

Axxlon

10-10-2012

Did you really need to ask that?

Like, it isn't blatantly obvious?

Born with immense potential, random coolkid loves nothing more that using his powarz!

...oh and then he erected a temple out of his ass and put in the sky.

Really?

ZodiarkSavior

Recruiter

10-10-2012

Syndra's lore is actually my favorite lore, especially if you read the AMA the Rioters did.

The 'lore' presented did a poor job at conveying the purpose of her actions and her feelings, but they did a very nice job at going into depth .-.

ZodiarkSavior

Recruiter

10-10-2012

Quote:
Deimus144:
That awkward moment when I realised that her lore is somewhat similar to that of wizards from diablo 3.

DOES RIOT STEAL STUFF FROM OTHER PEOPLE!?!?!

I mean seriously, renegade upstart? Hungry for power? The only difference is their motives. Wizards good, syndra bad.

And stupid too. Seriously? She kills her master just like that? All of us know that a mentors job is to teach, and he tried to teach her to control her power......

And then he dies....

Scumbag lore.

Please read the AMA regarding Syndra's lore.

SUPERSEYMOUR

01-25-2013

i like her whole flying house thingy, but she seems too much like a 16 year old girl who is angry and for some reason has enough magical power to lift a castle and make it fly. she needs some kind of lore rewrite, something that relates her to xerath in some way or another