Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Elo system broken

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BestialHuntress1

08-23-2012

Idk what elo system you are using riot games. But there is only 1 system... I am negative and in elo hell in ranked.( carry nearly ever game, but impossible to get a kill because no one else has kills on me team nearly every game) but whatever. I am negative like 199/211 in ranked solo que. And When I win a game I gain about 12 elo and when I lose I lose about 14 elo. Since you morons dont understand how elo system works, I will tell you, to catch up the elo, and if you are negative you are to gain more on a win rather than lose more on a loss.. Idk but don't call this elo if you don't know how to use it.. Tired of losing all my elo because you guys have no idea how the system works.. becuase you dont, im sorry..

Aceyy

08-23-2012

Make a new account.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

08-24-2012

I hope that rant made you feel better.

Unfortunately, you severely misunderstand both the nature of elo ratings and, judging from your match history, what it means to "carry nearly every game."

Agg

08-24-2012

Quote:
Certainlyt:

Unfortunately, you severely misunderstand both the nature of elo ratings and, judging from your match history, what it means to "carry nearly every game."

I love it when staff rebuke whiners.

Give this man a raise.

Splinterheart

08-24-2012

Quote:
Certainlyt:

Your calm and well structured response is quite awe-inspiring. :O I could never work in Riot whilst taking (/tanking) all the negative attitudes and rage received without cracking up in a fiery wrath. Have to say, you Rioters all earn my deepest respect. Keep doing a good job on LoL.
(A compliment from a citizen of the far off land of Europe)

HotShotHUEHUE

08-24-2012

Quote:
BestialHuntress1:
Idk what elo system you are using riot games. But there is only 1 system... I am negative and in elo hell in ranked.( carry nearly ever game, but impossible to get a kill because no one else has kills on me team nearly every game) but whatever. I am negative like 199/211 in ranked solo que. And When I win a game I gain about 12 elo and when I lose I lose about 14 elo. Since you morons dont understand how elo system works, I will tell you, to catch up the elo, and if you are negative you are to gain more on a win rather than lose more on a loss.. Idk but don't call this elo if you don't know how to use it.. Tired of losing all my elo because you guys have no idea how the system works.. becuase you dont, im sorry..

Lol what? Let me break down why you sir are an idiot.

"carry nearly ever game, but impossible to get a kill because no one else has kills on me team nearly every game"

To carry is to get a mass amount of kills, farm and as a result gold which allows you to buy items and be an unstoppable force. Carries are either attack damage champions or very fast casting mages that have a form of sustained damage. Anything bursty or tanky or supporty is not a carry.

If it is impossible to get kills (meaning you have 0 because it is impossible, like it is impossible for me to walk through a concrete wall) you can not carry. You may be playing a "carry" character but you are not carrying. If you are getting 0 kills on a carry, perhaps you sir are the problem as to why your team is doing so poorly.

Next,

"Since you morons dont understand how elo system works, I will tell you, to catch up the elo, and if you are negative you are to gain more on a win rather than lose more on a loss."

First of all this is not how ELO works, but I'll get to that in a bit. In your proposed system, there would be quite a bit of inflated ELO, because one could realistically play against weak opponents, win and always get more ELO than they would have lost if they lost the game.

The way an ELO system works is that every player is given a tier of quality.

When you play people within your tier of quality and win, you gain a standard ELO, when you lose, you lose a standard ELO.

When you play people far above your tier of quality you gain more ELO for a win and you lose less ELO for a loss.

When you play people far below your tier of quality, you gain less ELO for a win and lose more ELO for a loss.

ELO places you in a situation where you should only be playing people within your tier, but if you somehow deviate from that (say you premake with a high ELO friend) you will be playing against better opponents and will actually gain more and lose less. On the flip side, if you are high ELO playing with a low friend you are expected to win so you will gain less (you are playing against opponents not near your skill level) and you will lose more (you should beat them.

For the record, I hate LoL's ranking system because it lumps 5 people into a game and punishes / benefits the team as a whole based on individual performances, meaning a guy can go 0 - 15 and get carried through a game that he deserved no reward for. Riot has the ability to track specific stats (lyte has stated this) and they also have a system in place for "ranking" in game such as that of dominion, yet they still use ELO which is meant to be used in 1 v 1 chess matches.

SoloDragoon

08-24-2012

Quote:
Certainlyt:

<3 have my babies

wgo

08-24-2012

Quote:
Certainlyt:

slapped

SygmaSik

08-24-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
I find this video highly relevant.
Also, Certainlyt deserves a nice raise.

zBlackBoxz

08-24-2012

I had to upvote, this is just way too funny.