I'm confused

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The SandMan NDS

Recruiter

08-23-2012

Maybe I should just write an email directly to player support. I'm not sure I care about what the community on this forum thinks. Based on the threads, I'm not sure that this community CAN think.

From what I understand, and please Riot correct me if I'm wrong, Riot went through the system and identified a group of players that averaged way more reports per game than everyone else. Not sure what numbers they used, but I imagine it was the top 2% or so reporters. They reviewed their games and identified which ones were abusing the report system and slapped them with a temp.ban. Nobody but Riot knows how they made this determination.

This seems to have people thinking that reporting players = getting banned. If you don't see the logical fallacy in that, I'm not sure you can be helped.

I assume that some players were just incredibly unlucky in their match-ups and actually ended up in a disproportionate number of toxic games and had legitimate reports. I would bet these players were not banned.

What ratio did Riot think unreasonable for legitimate vs illegitimate reporting? Who knows. Personally, I would say anything over 10%. Using the report button as a troll tool is ridiculous.

I applaud Riot for taking whatever steps they can think of to punish toxic players, in whatever form they show themselves. I don't care what method they use to find them. Hell, if they could identify that a disproportionate percentage of Shaco players were correctly identified by the Tribunal as being toxic players and decided to review all games where Shaco was played and slap every toxic player in them with a ban, more power to them. Sometimes it would be the Shaco player trolling his kills, sometimes it would be other players being abusive to the Shaco cause the champ is so obnoxious. Who cares? Toxic players should be banned.

Don't be ******, don't get banned. It's pretty simple.

Of all the cases I've ever seen come to light on these forums (and god only knows what percentage of total punishments that is) I've yet to see ONE that was clearly innocent. There have been a few grey area ones, but not one single obvious abuse of justice.

Anyway, my point is; if you got banned I'm 99% sure you deserved it. If you fell into the 1% contact riot and point it out. If you're actually innocent, it will be obvious.

Keep up the good work Riot. You might think of game bans coming hand in hand with Forum bans. Just a thought.

Gwate

08-23-2012

I deem this thread quite worthy of being awesome and informative

The SandMan NDS

Recruiter

08-23-2012

Not sure if it's either of those things, but it felt good to write.

WhiteMriswith

08-23-2012

I'm glad at least one person here gets it. Riot's not just handing these suspensions out for fun. They put in a lot of time and effort to research everything before they even THINK about suspending players. I think Kiddington said Lyte and his team spent 3 weeks reviewing all their data before they started suspending players. To me that appears to be a lot of time spent for such a small, but noticeable, impact to the community. I say Good on Riot. Glad to be a member of this community

Mokkun

08-23-2012

Seemed to have been at least 60% of the reports were false, and top .2% so 10times worse than your guess.

Also, not top .2% worst players. Top .2% worst report abusers. equaling out to less than 10k people.

Data from:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2502809
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2504838

The SandMan NDS

Recruiter

08-23-2012

Thanks for the info Mokkun, that's even better.