Help: I suck with Diana

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

I don't think I am doing it right, as my attempts have been from pretty bad to mediocre.

First time I started with a catalyst to RoA, then chain,negatron, abyssal scepter, deathcap. Had way too much mana...so maybe I don't need rod?

Second time, tried Rylais instead. OMG the mana issues! Definitely need rod or something.

Even when I can Nuke, Ult, ball thingee, re-Ult, they are taken down quite a bit but then I am out of gas for quite some time (except for a second nuke). Then I got nothing and get beat down.

She seems like a bad version of Fizz except with a ranged harass capability. Fizz drops huge AP ratios for massive burst. She has decent burst but then seems to fizzle out....and she is right on top of them when she does poop out.

Do I play her with a more aggressive build? Say a pros ring, Deathcap, Lichbane?
Or a pros ring, DFG, deathfire?

Stats wise, she doesnt seem all that good. Her passive is strong and has an AP ratio. Similar to Nocturnes.

Her Q nuke is like a bad version of Galios smite, with no slow. Decent enough ratio 0.8, but no other effect.

W is a terrible version of Ahri's ball thingee. Really awful range and even takes a while for all 3 balls to rotate around to hit something. Weak ratio of 0.6 bestcase.

E seems terrible. no damage, slight suck-in, modest slow, crazy long CD. But hell, youve already nuked them and Ulted to get on top of them. Your ball hits fairly quickly....so why exactly do you need to slow them and suck them in? Shes not a tank is she? She can even re-Ult them if she had nuked em.

Ult is mediocre looking. Short CD for an ult, but long CD compared to any other gapcloser in the game. Mediocre damage, mediocre ratio. No slow effect or anything else. The free cooldown if you nuked em is nice, making it more like Fiora Lunge. But this doesn't really seem any better than a normal ability.

People seem to like her, so Id love to be educated as to what makes her so good and how to use her. Thanks.

Nekrogen

08-23-2012

Start prospectors ring, then go for athenes. Rest is situational.

I'm mainly a botlane Diana, but Athenes is incredibly good on her since you use up ults and Qs like crazy. If you're facing AD bot or mainly AD top, you can forgo Athenes and go for FH, which should solve your mana issues and provide ample CDR (which she scales hard on), and provides the armor you need.

TCWA Tigerbite

08-23-2012

Pro Ring. Deathcap. Lichbane. What, you die to easily? Sounds like a personal problem. *troll face*

JStereo

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Stats wise, she doesnt seem all that good. Her passive is strong and has an AP ratio. Similar to Nocturnes.

Her Q nuke is like a bad version of Galios smite, with no slow. Decent enough ratio 0.8, but no other effect.

W is a terrible version of Ahri's ball thingee. Really awful range and even takes a while for all 3 balls to rotate around to hit something. Weak ratio of 0.6 bestcase.

E seems terrible. no damage, slight suck-in, modest slow, crazy long CD. But hell, youve already nuked them and Ulted to get on top of them. Your ball hits fairly quickly....so why exactly do you need to slow them and suck them in? Shes not a tank is she? She can even re-Ult them if she had nuked em.

Ult is mediocre looking. Short CD for an ult, but long CD compared to any other gapcloser in the game. Mediocre damage, mediocre ratio. No slow effect or anything else. The free cooldown if you nuked em is nice, making it more like Fiora Lunge. But this doesn't really seem any better than a normal ability.

People seem to like her, so Id love to be educated as to what makes her so good and how to use her. Thanks.
I don't agree with your assessments about her skills.

Q does very good damage, kind of awkward to land at first but once you get the hang of how it works it does well. Also it has a nice AoE at the tip, making pushing a lane if you go bot easy. If you miss the Q you're kind of screwed though. Diana's playstyle is very combo based and her Q is integral to her damage output.

W is a shield, and has a small aoe when each orb detonates, after that the shield refreshes. This is a short CD shield, very powerful skill. Not sure why you're comparing it to Fox Fire, it's not really the same kind of skill.

E seems kind of lack luster at first but when you take into account what it can be used for it's a great skill. You can use it to interrupt channeled skills like Kat or Nunu's ults. You can use it to pull someone who's close onto your turret for some extra damage. Sure the slow seems kind of pointless considering that with Q and R most can forget about getting away, but it helps your teammates. You can't underestimate a skill that can reposition your enemies, imo the slow is just icing on the cake.

R is awesome, at max rank with max CDR it doesn't even matter if you land your Q because it'll be up in a couple seconds anyway. It's also great for juking skill shots since it'll land you behind your opponent.

This isn't even including the nuke she gets every three attacks. Personally I don't build around it (never get AS, but maybe I'll experiment in the future.) but the damage is great.

Her AP ratios and health are great too. I usually build her tanky. Abyssal, Frozen Heart, Ionian Boots are core. I start with Haunting Guise and if the game goes long enough I usually sell it and buy a void staff. She is an absolute monster. I wouldn't call her OP but she is definitely very strong. If the other team works well together you can count on having a very painful game because Diana is definitely a high priority target. Also if you play her bot (in my experience) you can pretty much count on the enemy team sending constant ganks.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

i'd recommend trying the dfg it does help a lot, i wouldn't recommend running deathcap on her or on any other ap for the matter.

Warrrrax

08-23-2012

I get that her damage is pretty solid, but I guess I am confused on why melee and not ranged? Leblanc certainly has better ratios at long range, and even has an escape.

Akali has her shroud which gives her great zone control and escape, and something to do while waiting for her low CDs to refresh.

Unlike Cho/Nunu, she kind of has to get right on top of them to really do any damage. So if she doesnt kill em in the first volley, then what?

So it sounds like Tanky AP is her role, so I got that part right. It sounds like I need to work on CDR, but even then with 40% CDR, she still has 6 second cooldowns on her Orb doodad. So after my Q nuke, R, W, R combo, Im still out of gas for a while.
I should try to get in, do some damage, then get out? Wait for repeat?

When I hit with Q nuke, Ult in and W. Do I immediatley re-Ult? Or wait for Q to come back up and use Ult in conjunction with Q? (assuming they arent close to dying of course)

Instead of trying to add more damage thru Lichbane/Deathcap/DFG, I should be sticking with Tanky?

Ionic over Sorc Shoes? Even though her damage is magical? Id think Abyssal/Sorc would be pretty solid penetration.

You are right that I keep forgetting about the SHIELD aspect of her Orb which is kind of important. ;-)

Good analysis on her E. It makes sense that it is an interrupter/ministun/team help kind of skill.

Redenbacher

08-23-2012

Quote:
Unlike Cho/Nunu, she kind of has to get right on top of them to really do any damage. So if she doesnt kill em in the first volley, then what?
I've never played her, but from the looks of her kit, you auto-attack 3 times for another (free) nuke. By then, your Q should be up for another Q -> R combo.

The other take I had on her kit is that QRQRQR would be more effective in longer fights than simply blowing everything on a QRR.

EpicMadness

08-23-2012

two doran ring -> sorcs -> sheen
solves early mana problems, thats how i build her =P

late game:
rabaddons
ginsoo's rageblade / nashors
gunblade
rylai
lichbane
sorcerer's boots

ps: ginsoo gives quite a decent amount of AP and a bonus aspd when fully stacked, concerning how fast it'll get filled dont worry, by the time you cast E it's already full. trade ginsoos for nashors if you want a nuke build although mana issues will be visible.

JStereo

08-23-2012

Quote:
I get that her damage is pretty solid, but I guess I am confused on why melee and not ranged? Leblanc certainly has better ratios at long range, and even has an escape.
That's just the way she was designed. I'd imagine that's why Riot made her so tanky with high HP.

Quote:
Akali has her shroud which gives her great zone control and escape, and something to do while waiting for her low CDs to refresh.
If anyone picked up a Hextech Sweeper Akali can pretty much forget about her shroud being of much use. Speaking of which, Hextech Sweeper is an exellent item for Diana regardless. Once revealed akali is easily picked off.

Quote:
Once you're in the fight you're committed to it. You can ult to escape if there's a minion nearby, or use flash. Otherwise you might be able to use E to out run them assuming they don't have a slow (and pretty much everyone has a slow either by skill or item.)

Quote:
So it sounds like Tanky AP is her role, so I got that part right. It sounds like I need to work on CDR, but even then with 40% CDR, she still has 6 second cooldowns on her Orb doodad. So after my Q nuke, R, W, R combo, Im still out of gas for a while.
I should try to get in, do some damage, then get out? Wait for repeat?
Auto attack, remember she has an innate attack speed increase, on the third hit they feel it.

Quote:
When I hit with Q nuke, Ult in and W. Do I immediatley re-Ult? Or wait for Q to come back up and use Ult in conjunction with Q? (assuming they arent close to dying of course)
At higher ranks with CDR her ult CD is low anyway. However if you can, always try to ult only after landing a Q. If you can kill them with an R without moonlight and you're confident you won't immediately be in another fight, go ahead.

Quote:
Instead of trying to add more damage thru Lichbane/Deathcap/DFG, I should be sticking with Tanky?
That's debatable. I play blind pick solo queue. A high AP Diana is a scary thing, and with a good team you could probably get away with it. Even with a powerful shield you're still vulnerable to CC. I play tanky because it allows me to be more self reliant. You can't always count on your team mates in a pub match. This is just how I play her personally. Assuming my team isn't being completely dominated, the tanky AP route pretty much always works out well.

Quote:
Ionic over Sorc Shoes? Even though her damage is magical? Id think Abyssal/Sorc would be pretty solid penetration.
I guess this is up to you, but I pretty much always start with the items to make a haunting guise. So I already have 20 flat mpen once I finish it (Usually soon after windmill fight assuming I didn't die during it.) I would rather have the CDR on my boots. Though if the team is heavy on CC I might opt for Merc treads instead.

Redenbacher

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMadness View Post
two doran ring -> sorcs -> sheen -> ginsoo

thats how i build her =P
Not in Dominion, you don't.