What's with the LichBane first builds?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BeefJerkyHunter

08-23-2012

I feel like I'm missing out on something here. I've been observing many players rushing Lichbane first on their mage-like champions such as Akali and Diana.
Call me crazy, but I don't think compromising your champion's defenses and/or attack power for a rather expensive item whose passive can be covered by Sheen for a while just doesn't make sense.

Can somebody help me understand this build better?

otirruborez

08-23-2012

mix of damage, defense, and movespeed early i guess.

it's not too bad if you have a good amount of ap from runes.

Nyx87

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerkyHunter View Post
I feel like I'm missing out on something here. I've been observing many players rushing Lichbane first on their mage-like champions such as Akali and Diana.
Call me crazy, but I don't think compromising your champion's defenses and/or attack power for a rather expensive item whose passive can be covered by Sheen for a while just doesn't make sense.

Can somebody help me understand this build better?
Sure, let me see if I can help. Generally, when someone buys lichbane first they are displaying 1 of 2 things, or both:

1) They are bad at math. If you purchase lichbane with less than 100 AP you can actually lose damage from the upgrade. Even with greater than 100 AP the upgrade is not worth it. You generally want it when you have more than 250 AP.

2)They are just following a guide and have no idea why they purchase the items they are buying.

I hope that helps.

Phourc

08-23-2012

I've heard some people finish it first JUST for the movespeed, and some people run AP runes on Dom so it's actually a decent damage increase on the procs - especially if you aren't level 18 yet.

lbgsloan

08-23-2012

Because Diana freeweek. If you see any AP on your team build an early sheen, please gently remind them that Lichbane rush is really, really stupid before it is too late. Even with heavy AP runes it's stupid, as you're paying nearly 4k for a minor damage increase. Build something else before it.

otirruborez

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyx87 View Post
Sure, let me see if I can help. Generally, when someone buys lichbane first they are displaying 1 of 2 things, or both:

1) They are bad at math. If you purchase lichbane with less than 100 AP you can actually lose damage from the upgrade. Even with greater than 100 AP the upgrade is not worth it. You generally want it when you have more than 250 AP.

2)They are just following a guide and have no idea why they purchase the items they are buying.

I hope that helps.
you don't lose damage. not sure where your math came from.

even with no ap from runes you have 110~ ap after your lichbane and ring. under no circumstances will you ever lose damage by upgrading it, even if you just had 80 ap.

MyDeadGrandma

08-23-2012

Ask Phreak

otirruborez

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgsloan View Post
Because Diana freeweek. If you see any AP on your team build an early sheen, please gently remind them that Lichbane rush is really, really stupid before it is too late. Even with heavy AP runes it's stupid, as you're paying nearly 4k for a minor damage increase. Build something else before it.
it has resists, movement speed, and a solid 80 ap. i wouldn't build it first, but if someone is rushing it i doubt it's just for damage.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

Because they are impatient, and they see a way to, even if it is slightly, increase their damage by spending money.

Though, they do not realize waiting for that deathcap would seriously help them.

People are dumb. Do we really need to tell you this? Or are you going to be surprised when that player not picking a champion picks teemo and locks with 3 seconds left to go?

Just try and reason with them and hope they play well. Don't rage, because no one plays well under ragefire. Treat everyone like they are your little brother with cerebral palsy. It may sound condescending, but trust me. It will help not being a rage-a-holic.

BeefJerkyHunter

08-23-2012

Well, I was hoping for something other than "people are dumb" responses - as in some crazy cool build or something. But if it really just is "people are dumb" then I guess I should thank you all for taking the time to answer my question.