Hidden Elo (Assumption thread)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wei Wing

08-23-2012

Now playing League of Legends (obviously) there was this thing a irl mate (yes, I'm from Australia) told me. He said there was this thing called "hidden elo". Now as many of you will have realised there is alot of members that believe the system is useless for all game types, this being ranked, normal, draft as far as far as I know. However as some of you may have experienced either one or two of situations:

1. Getting placed with noobs (new player/ amateurs)
2. Having massive win streaks then being followed up with lose streaks
3. Getting placed with random levels.

Assuming there is infact a thing called "hidden elo" my understanding is that teams will be matched with a equal or close group of players with a the same elo. Therefore a team may consist of having 5 average players and another with 2 phreaks and 3 noobs, which still equal the same elo.

For situation two, which I have experienced many times over is where I somehow obtain a win streak going and then I'm followed up with a lose streak. My understanding of this is that all the so called "good" players are forming a rebellion againest us noobs, creating smurfs to avoid us reaching our potentials.

or... because we progress we are placed with higher players just like the situations in ranked matches. but I reckon my first point seems more realistic.

Thirdly, as far as I can assume, there is only two situations. One you just dominate low levels therefore you are placed with those level thirties who I have no idea how they managed (no lifers perhaps) or you will be placed vsing higher levels but, in this incident there should normally be someone on the opposite team with roughly your level as well, either that you just too good for your level.

But before you comment just remember I'm assuming all this and if someone is able to support this, it would be gladly appreciated.

Onlyasmile

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerisz View Post
My understanding of this is that all the so called "good" players are forming a rebellion againest us noobs, creating smurfs to avoid us reaching our potentials.
I lol'd.

800eloPubtrash

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerisz View Post
My understanding of this is that all the so called "good" players are forming a rebellion againest us noobs, creating smurfs to avoid us reaching our potentials.
People actually do this at 2k elo (I'm not there but they talk about it on the forums).

Recently

08-23-2012

Yes there is a normal elo, and you can't see it. There used to be websites that would give you a ballpark calculation, but i don't know if they exist/what they are anymore.

Eventually you should hit a w/l ratio of ~50% once you hit your right elo.

lightberry

08-23-2012

Smurfs ruin low elo players game. Riot should try to make smurfs detection and include it into match making system, queing up all smurfs into the same game.

Clyonoshi

08-23-2012

There is elo for normal games. Every time you queue, it tries to make each sides have equal chances of winning. However, note that the longer the queue, the less it will prioritize making the game fair.

1. Could be of matchmaking not prioritizing fairness and just placing you into the game due to long queue times.
2. Completely normal. If matchmaking is working properly, everyone who should be close to 50/50 win rate but can vary on individual skill.
3. Can happen if you or the other side are queued up with their friends.

And about the smurf rebellion theory, it doesn't exist. But trolls do.

Wei Wing

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyonoshi View Post
There is elo for normal games. Every time you queue, it tries to make each sides have equal chances of winning. However, note that the longer the queue, the less it will prioritize making the game fair.

1. Could be of matchmaking not prioritizing fairness and just placing you into the game due to long queue times.
2. Completely normal. If matchmaking is working properly, everyone who should be close to 50/50 win rate but can vary on individual skill.
3. Can happen if you or the other side are queued up with their friends.

And about the smurf rebellion theory, it doesn't exist. But trolls do.
Off Course Trolls exist, thats why we have trundle

Sandy Leung

08-23-2012

I've been 1724 normal elo for 3 months. Lolmatches can tell you your normal elo. but only if you get queued up with a person running the lolmatches client or if you run your own.

Sadly, it's not very accurate, as I was 1724 normal elo for 3 month now when i was 95 wins over losses, now im 111 so i think I should be high 1800s lol

800eloPubtrash

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Leung View Post
I've been 1724 normal elo for 3 months. Lolmatches can tell you your normal elo. but only if you get queued up with a person running the lolmatches client or if you run your own.

Sadly, it's not very accurate, as I was 1724 normal elo for 3 month now when i was 95 wins over losses, now im 111 so i think I should be high 1800s lol
lolmatches stopped getting normal elo in july

KiIIstreak

08-23-2012

http://lolmatches.com/