Alternative Systems for Toxic Behavior

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Donnylicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-23-2012

1) Positive reinforcement system to reward players for good actions. MVP (Most Valuable Player) System: At the end of each game, each player gets to pick one ally who they thought most influenced the win, or if they lost, they choose who they thought was the best player. Each player who received a vote gets 20 IP. Players cannot vote on themselves. This would make players not want to be toxic and play their best since they have the potential to earn an extra 80 IP: no more toxic players (or significantly reduced toxic players) no bans, no reports, no need for Tribunal.

2) Or if you're intent on keeping the Tribunal, change the reporting feature from "report this player" to "report this game." If you're going to leave judgements to the random masses anyway, let them pick who they feel is toxic instead of just the reported player. If the next judge picks the same player (or players) and this happens again for the next judge, then this would be far more fair than just using the PPP system. Letting the judge examine the report to determine all toxic players might result in more punishments on more people, but it would also significantly reduce using the report feature as a bullying tool on a single person.

I think we can all agree that the Tribunal is one of the first of it's kind in video gaming and in that way it is still highly experimental. It needs refinement; a lot. If Riot is too proud and doesn't realize this, everyone loses out.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SugrGlidrWifRidr

Member

08-23-2012

Toxic behavior takes over game

Riots answer "Nothing"

Legit players get upset/fedup

Riots answer "Ban those that get upset"

1.Trolls celebrate
2.Vets leave
3.Riot sips coffee thinking a job well done

I can only wonder what those people who put millions into this game are thinking right now.........


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hierarch DF

Senior Member

08-23-2012

DOOM is comming
U know what I mean


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Donnylicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugrGlidrWifRidr View Post
Toxic behavior takes over game

Riots answer "Nothing"

Legit players get upset/fedup

Riots answer "Ban those that get upset"

1.Trolls celebrate
2.Vets leave
3.Riot sips coffee thinking a job well done

I can only wonder what those people who put millions into this game are thinking right now.........
Agreed. The reporting feature was just getting out of hand. This is Riot's way of making it loud and clear that report bullying will not be tolerated. However it also does make a lot of enemies. My solution is far superior.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Donnylicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-23-2012

Anyone have any thoughts? Would anyone like to see any of these features?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SimplyAlive

Senior Member

08-23-2012

I agree with suggestion1, but think suggestion 2 has one severe flaw:
The way you presented the idea, it seems cases will become individual matches. The workload will increase drastically due to this.

Besides that, there is the issue of double jeopardy:
-Match 1 gets into the Tribunal due to reports of player 1. Player 2 gets punished as well for his behaviour.
-Match 2, which took place before match 1, will then show up in the Tribunal due to reports of player 3. Player 2 also gets punished, due to his behaviour.

That goes against the stance of Riot that always removed past offences from new cases. This idea would make it hard to go around that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Donnylicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyAlive View Post
I agree with suggestion1, but think suggestion 2 has one severe flaw:
The way you presented the idea, it seems cases will become individual matches. The workload will increase drastically due to this.

Besides that, there is the issue of double jeopardy:
-Match 1 gets into the Tribunal due to reports of player 1. Player 2 gets punished as well for his behaviour.
-Match 2, which took place before match 1, will then show up in the Tribunal due to reports of player 3. Player 2 also gets punished, due to his behaviour.

That goes against the stance of Riot that always removed past offences from new cases. This idea would make it hard to go around that.
They could just make it so, if multiple people report on the same game, it counts as one report.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Donnylicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-23-2012

bump


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Methelod

Senior Member

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnylicious View Post
1) Positive reinforcement system to reward players for good actions. MVP (Most Valuable Player) System: At the end of each game, each player gets to pick one ally who they thought most influenced the win, or if they lost, they choose who they thought was the best player. Each player who received a vote gets 20 IP. Players cannot vote on themselves. This would make players not want to be toxic and play their best since they have the potential to earn an extra 80 IP: no more toxic players (or significantly reduced toxic players) no bans, no reports, no need for Tribunal.
Why do you insist that this is black and white? It's not. You can have the tribunal, and quite frankly, only a naive person thinks that positive reinforcement will stop trolling. Trolls lose elo in ranked, they get less IP overall, they are already losing out when they troll so when they lose out the chance for an optional reward, they won't care.

Overall a positive reward system would be nice but how do you prevent it from being abused? What about bot games as well? Something has to be done about premades and excluding them from the system outright is unfair, while limiting their vote if done incorrectly is also unfair. Of course you could say that the premades are allowed to vote for each other but this creates an issue where they could use four people, troll the fifth and barely lose anything.

Quote:
2) Or if you're intent on keeping the Tribunal, change the reporting feature from "report this player" to "report this game." If you're going to leave judgements to the random masses anyway, let them pick who they feel is toxic instead of just the reported player. If the next judge picks the same player (or players) and this happens again for the next judge, then this would be far more fair than just using the PPP system. Letting the judge examine the report to determine all toxic players might result in more punishments on more people, but it would also significantly reduce using the report feature as a bullying tool on a single person.
Fairness is subjective, and overall it wouldn't be fair in my opinion to use this kind of system.
A) It takes away the potential of multiple trolls in a game.
B) It takes away the players ability (The one in game) to determine what is and is not offensive. This is a problem because what might not be offensive to the player could be construed as offensive to the judge, meaning that a person would be 'falsely' punished because they were not actually toxic in their teammates opinions.

I'm not sure why you are so adamant against a negative reinforcement system and delude your thinking into believing that a positive reinforcement system hinders negative actions. There is a reason why throughout history negative and positive reinforcement have been used, rather then everyone and thing adopting a positive reinforcement system.


Quote:
I think we can all agree that the Tribunal is one of the first of it's kind in video gaming and in that way it is still highly experimental. It needs refinement; a lot. If Riot is too proud and doesn't realize this, everyone loses out.
I think it doesn't need that much refinement, the concept is excellent, the implementation works well enough with room for improvement. Riot clearly isn't too proud to realize this, and the fact that you imply that they are makes me think that you haven't done enough research because they have stated, repeatedly, that the system is far from perfect.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LovingFaces

Senior Member

08-23-2012

I agree with the first option... Kinda...
the 2nd one is kind of Arrogant. Thats too much power. Think if you were RIOT.

the fellow troll comments behind it kinda destroyed the whole integrity of the thread. To have an actual thread that RIOT will particapate in. I would suggest doing it in a more Constructive format.


12