Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

how to play Twisted Fate...tips and build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mana Grenade

09-15-2010

how do u play twisted fate? wat skills and wat build do u get him

Basist

09-15-2010

All depends on what you're going for. People think that AD TF does more damage than AP, but I beg to differ. I only play ap/hybrid TF, but I'm slowly changing my build with the new addition of Manamune. The first question is, do you want to play doing majority of damage from your normal attacks, or be the bursty kite ap-ish TF?

As for a quick rundown of TF: Don't expect to super carry your team with him. Ages ago he was able to do that job, but not anymore. Now in order to win as TF you must think of yourself as a support dps. You can still do good burst, but can't pump out constant damage like most carrys.

Your job is to avoid getting hit, while still hitting. Since stacked deck gives cooldown, it opens up more options. With 40% cooldown, you can get 3.6 seconds cd on wild cards and pick a card, as well as about 50 seconds cd on destiny. This is where the path branches.

If you plan to go more aspd/dmg, cooldown won't be your favoured choice so much. You will throw your gold card, get off a few hits, rinse and repeat. Kiting is key with dmg TF since if you can't keep attacking without being focused, going Ad/aspd is not worth it.

As for AP/Hybrid, this is where TF shines in my opinion. The main role of this is to make your enemies hate you. Spamming wild cards for harassing, and gold/red card when you chase/gank with a few hits and wild card finishers are your specialty. Until they buff up TF's attack range, you have to play somewhat dangerously close. Do not stay within range of them for long if at all possible. Your job is to throw your stun, do your damage, hit as many people possible as wild card and back off. Staying behind your tank away from the enemies is the best option. A babysat TF who is good at harassing can do some damage. His AP ratio's are kind of shot, but it's nothing to scoff at if he keeps hitting you with wild cards everytime.

TF is one of the squishiest champs out there, so do not get cocky and misjudge situations. Team co-ordination is key if you plan on winning with him.

As for skills well....it's all preference and experience. For ap/hybrid tf, maxing out Wild Cards helps out a lot. After level 3 they start to do some good damage to champions/creep waves. Don't spam the ability before level 2-3, as the damage is very sub-par and you'll only be using up mana; remember you always need mana to spam abilities. A TF with no mana to spam is a useless TF. AD Tf's still might max out wild cards not as quick but still fast to pump up their early-game harassment.

I personally avoid maxing out stacked deck until last, seeing as only a few % of aspd/cooldown is granted per level on top of a meager 20-ish damage every 4th hit. TF is weaker than most champs in terms of burst, so I always max out his 2 damage abilities first.

I can't really give a good AD build on him, seeing as I prefer ap hybrid.
My hybrid-ap TF core build consists of: boots (usually mercs unless there's a good tank then I get Sorc), Nashor's Tooth, and Rylai's Crystal Scepter. He already gets cooldown from stacked deck, and at level 5 on top of Nashor's Tooth gives you a perfect 40% cooldown. With those 2 items, my TF hits fast, has max cooldowns, and most importantly: the slows. Every 4th hit from stacked deck gives a slow proc from Rylai's Scepter, making it a great chasing utility. 15% slows from wild card spamming is ever so helpful, but most importantly 35% slow proc on TOP of Red Card is devastating; no one can get away from your team.

With those items it can be kind of risky against a very beefy team since it isn't a ridiculous amount of AP for the gold price, but it's well worth it in my opinion. TF is no longer a super carry, so I put him in the support role. With my item build, he can stun/massive aoe slow, and slow every 4 normal hits, it's a nice package. With a 3.6 second cooldown, you will be amazed at how good TF is at chipping away someone's health. The only problem is practice practice practice, as I've mentioned TF is terribly squishy.

A rundown of my usual build in total is; Runes- Marks - ArmorPen Seals - AP/Level or Mana regen/5 level Glyphs - Ap Level and Quints - HP+Move speed. I get a mix of both since TF's range is vastly shorter than 90% of all other range champions the extra move speed helps, and a teeny bit hp never hurts his inherit squishiness. As for masteries, it all depends. 9/0/21 if you want to feel more caster-ish, but with my build I don't do that since it's wasting cooldown with my Nashor's. I usually go 16-6-8. It's odd, but it works for me. Then for items it's boots, Nashor's Tooth, Rylai's Scepter, Lich Bane (usually), and its pretty random after that seeing as the game is usually over.

TF is very fun to play for me, but he is a high risk somewhat low reward champ. Until he gets that slight touch of buff(prefferably his attack range)playing him takes a lot of skill and finesse. All I can say is have fun, and practice

Larson McMurphy

09-15-2010

There is already a bunch of threads about TF and plenty of guides on the complete list of guides (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=68225) and on leaguecraft (http://leaguecraft.com/champion/Twisted+Fate).

Personally I recommend hybrid also. In a nutshell, grab pick a card first but max wild cards first. Get really good at picking gold cards out of nowhere. Start with doran's ring, get boots, nashor's tooth, rageblade and some survivability (phage/frozen mallet, or maybe banshee's veil) as your core and then go from there. I'm no pro with TF but I do pretty good with him. Check out the links for more details.

Nightseraph

09-17-2010

I like dorans Ring, followed by AS boots, then sheen,, then zeal, then rageblade, finish trinity force, then itemize based on the opposing team. If you need more damage then the other hybrid items. Banshee's veil does great for survival. If the team has itemized for heavy armour, then consider a rylai's or or zhonyas. If the other team has strong MR consider phantom dancer or frozen mallet. (These items also help with late game survival)