Alistar --verse MF?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DoransTroll

09-15-2010

Manamune is working out very well for my Alistar build. Now I have a cheap build for Alistar that keeps him viable throughout the game. I could decently farm/jungle, I'm tough enough to tank, and I can protect my team really well.

Except against MF.

How do you tank MF as Alistar? She has excellent damage (which is fine). I could Headbutt her away when she ult, which keeps my team relatively safe. But I just can't maneuver the fight quickly enough to ever catch up with her. I'm running 2 MS quints and MS masteries already. And even with Ghost on and boot 3, I could hardly catch up with her before she kite my team dry.

Is there any angle or ambush tactic that is good for this matchup in SR?

Aikage

09-15-2010

Stack phantom dancers. On Alistar. It's the only way.

DoransTroll

09-15-2010

Can I get a slightly more serious answer?
I have always loved Alistar. But I gave up on him entirely for a few months until Manamune make him somewhat viable without an excellent team again. I would love to be able to get back to playing this guy full time.

PineapplePine

09-15-2010

Flash? Lol, she's only so far away with her ultimate or her range. Flash + Ghost you'll catch her with your stun right away. And a knock back to your team and she's dead.

Or simply leave it to your ranged champions. If you have an AP Gragas, your problems are solved. If you have an Amumu, problem solved. If you have Rammus, problem should be solved. If you have Garen, he'll catch up to her easily with Spin and Ghost. There are many champions that can catch up to her or knock her out of her passive. Alistar is just one that isn't that good because he's naturally slow.

DoransTroll

09-15-2010

I guess team comp could be a problem. In the few games that I went up against her, it was a 3v4, (lots of disconnects.) and we just couldn't take her down because the only ones left are a very laggy Veigar (he can cast 1 spell every few seconds), and an either laggy or noobish Olaf (can't tell).

However, it's still really hard to flash into her. I get one chance every few min (it worked most of the time, but I have to really risk it). Later on she became very cautious, and she'd just strut in, Make it Rain, and then strut out of range again. I couldn't even get into flash range properly because she can slow me easily. The only times we could do anything is when we pushed their team into defensive position, and force her to run out of mana while I keep my team healed up. But once we are on the defensive, it was pretty much gameover.

edit:
so no further advice, ha? Oh well.

HanzGruber

09-16-2010

Alistar, as with all tanks, is about positioning. As you've probably already used flash to initiate the fight, catching MF is a matter of ghosting to her and using your headbutt to push her into a wall. That will put her into a one second pseudo stun, move in and pulvarize while your team is catching up to finish her off. You can also use your 2-1 combo. Headbutt her, then right before you make contact, use pulvarize and you'll pop her up on the spot. It's Alistar's best way to catch up to an opponent, but the move is somewhat unreliable until well practiced. The last option you have is to move in from another direction while MF runs from your team to pincer her. This is the least likely though, since it suggests that you didn't lead your team into battle, as you should have.

DoransTroll

09-16-2010

Man.. I really wish I can pull a 1-2 combo. It's a really good advice..but it just doesn't work at 5FPS on a netbook T-T I'll have to try it a few times on bots though.

AdricGod

09-16-2010

I feel like so many other things are against you in this scenario that Alistar vs. MF is the least of your problems.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-16-2010

or you can learn the headbutt+pulverize combo.. But typically you will never close range on a good MF. One of her strengths is keeping out of range of tanks by maintaining strut, as she has no built in "dash" or "blink" to compensate for bad positioning.

Alistar is probably one of the weakest champs vs MF.. I pretty much made Telandra look like a chump a few days ago as I went flash cleanse MF, and the best he could do that game to me was flash pulv me before I cleanse+flashed out.