What ever happen to Draven ?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

otirruborez

08-23-2012

he died trying to catch his axe...

tip for all future ad carry's.

don't chase your weapon when you have people chasing you. it makes you a bad champion.

TCWA Tigerbite

08-23-2012

I hear people complaining way to much about catching his axes. It leads me to believe that people don't know how to control their axes. I also hear a lot of people saying "Well if you move around, it takes away from your auto attack when you have high attack speed and causes you to lose out on damage."

Guess what. You move that split moment right after you attack and you don't run around. You move one step. I usually try to move half a step back or sideways to stay out of grab/gap closer range. Doing this allows you to get all of your attacks in while your axe falls directly back on to your character. Standing in the same place is one of the absolute worst things you can do while playing Draven, that is unless they're already on top of you. In that case, hope for the best, or if they're not a gap closer, hope your E is off cooldown, use it and tap that W for a speed boost and run for the hills.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

tigerbite stands a point with proper rune setup Draven can crit for 600 when he has like 112 attack damage, also standing as Draven which is what many people do is pretty bad for your dps since his axes lead him steping backwards when you see the aa animation going helps a lot to his burst and axe catching without actually having to pay attention to the axes.

Intorp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2012

On dominion you get the middle game role, you do good early, very good at mid, late is accordingly to how fast people can kill you.

Draven has 2 steroids and a slow (that can interrupt most dashes), but his kit wasn't done for dominion, he looks like a Bruiser with range but without defensive status, 50% of the games I get jumped over by some Bruiser and killed, the other 50% varies between Thornmail and bot.

IMO he still better than Graves and Corki on doing damage and somehow surviving, but he gets beaten on damage by Vayne, Jayce (lol at 3 fast attacks) and Kog. On mobility he loses to almost everyone (especially Ezreal), if you can't reach your enemy you can't do damage, the only way to do that is play with your axes, and well that is almost impossible with someone slowing you.

Draven is a opportunist champion, you will NEED to learn how to avoid taking massive amounts of damage, without using a escape and catch his axes, maybe this isn't so bad on SR, but on dominion is too risky, you will either have Vayne hitting you (if you use double axes and never let them fall) or a basic attacker without steroids)/dead Draven.

TCWA Tigerbite

08-24-2012

Thornmail is so easy to counter. You receive 30% damage back as magic damage.

Sanguine. Pro Blade. That's 20-27% lifesteal. So you're only receiving 3-10% damage back. Grab a Maw, sash, or FoN and you're good to go. (Sash only for the annoying champs like Fiddle and such. )

lbgsloan

08-24-2012

I missed his launch and freeweek, and have seen him maybe twice since (still more than Karma). Lack of escapes hurt any RDPS on Dominion, moreso in soloq. Carries have to be able to take care of themselves without reliable team support, and Draven can't do much if a bruiser gets in his face. Unlike a Kog or Vayne, who most teammates understand will win them the game if kept alive, people have a perception of Draven being bad so won't go out of their way to help him.

None of this bodes well for him in soloq, and there are better carries for full premade matches.

TCWA Tigerbite

08-24-2012

Draven does it all. /endthread

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

08-24-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

i like him a lot, but i feel like i have to try a lot harder when i play him. he has good damage, but he gains that at the expense of self-created safety. he needs a fighter/support with him at all times i feel, whereas vayne and jayce can afford to be a bit brave.

that said, he and ezreal are the two ad carries i feel most comfortable playing on crystal scar.

larkhill

08-25-2012

agreed. i always feel like i have to play really well just to do decent with draven. then i go on champs like darius where i can nearly faceroll and still do equal dmg.

personally, i feel like there needs to be a higher reward for playing him at the top level. compare him to other high skillcap champs like orianna or cass where if ur on ur game and playing amazing, you will be rewarded for it. with draven, even at your best, catching every ax, you dont get that same sense of, "i can dominate this game"

im really liking rengar as my go-to AD carry right now. if you play really well and juggle ferocity stacks perfectly, you can output an insane amt of dmg. it gives me a great sense of how well im playing in every game. no matter how good or bad my team is, if im playing well, i will always have the power to get kills. if i do poorly, i can almost always know that its mostly my fault.

Felaeris

08-25-2012

I really like draven. He is my favorite AD carry; hands down. I typed a great deal more, but that sums it up well. Now I'm going to make a list of his weaknesses which I'll go into point by point. Some of them are perfectly viable weaknesses that promote counter play. But I'd rather list them for sake of completeness.

Where I think Draven lacks:

1. His "E" (Stand Aside) CD is too long at rank 5 (14 secs)
  2. Suffers more from snares
  3. Suffers more, strangely, from AS slows.
  4. Suffers more from Thornmail/Omen.
  5. Has no built in anti-tank mechanic.

1.) Stand Aside CD
This is probably the most efficient place for change in how Draven handles late game. Looking at just the CD length, you'll notice it tends to be about 2 seconds longer than other existing escape mechanics. IE: Essence Flux, Valkyrie, 50 caliber net. For less escape potential. The burden of decision whether using E to escape, to disrupt abilities, or to stop fleeing champs is too high given its long CD and lack of other utility spells in Draven's toolkit.

2 & 3. Snares
Easier to just consolidate the two points. They both seriously disrupt Draven's ability to catch axes and throw axes in between axe catches. A move speed slow will prevent draven from throwing a second axe and still make the first landing point. An Attack speed slow can seriously, seriously throw off the timing and rythym of the animation resulted in many canceled auto-attacks outright. The way Draven is built, there isn't really potential for change to draven, just in handling, item build, and support from teammates. As much as I hate being afflicted by either, both promote counter-play and depth.

4 & 5) Tanks.
He doesn't have an armor shred, bonus penetration, true damage, percentile damage, reduced healing effects, or... anything else I forgot to name. Does he need any of that? That's up for debate.

TL; DR. Easiest and least toxic way to buff draven is lower CD on Rank 5 Stand Aside to be in line with other AD carries.