@Lyte: Why did you not give warnings before the reporting bans?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AmbushIntheDark

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Tiddles View Post
No, an email with a warning is a warning. People who curse constantly and use racist terms get an email with a warning saying that they need to stop that behavior or they will get a ban, but reporting the person who cursed at you now gets you banned with no warning and no questions asked.

It is not right at all to ban first without giving a warning, when they are not banning people first and instead giving warnings for other reasons. I know that I personally would have changed my reporting ways if Riot sent me an email giving me an actual warning that too many of my reports are not resulting in bans, and especially if they gave me a link with all of my cases that I reported somebody that they deemed an "unjustified" report so that I can review them and change my reporting accordingly.
I love how you got down voted for bringing up a legitimate concern.

Shiister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I'm in the process of writing a quick TLDR FAQ for this in the first post.

We didn't go with a verbal warning for several reasons:

1) The majority of these players already had multiple warnings and bans from the Tribunal and were up for another ban -- these players refused to reform
2) This means that yes, a very, very small number of players had no Tribunal history and were in this net. However, our statistics suggest they would not learn from just a verbal warning either
3) Many of the players were up for a permaban and we did not want to permaban for this so opted for a middle-tier punishment
4) Player Support often sweeps accounts on a daily basis for bad behaviors and Rioters often report games with bad behaviors and we ban these players without warning as well
5) We only targeted 0.2%, which is the worst of the worst and is 3 standard deviations away from the norm. This means these players often reported 1000x more than others.
6) This number of players actually is nowhere close to 10,000. It's less.
Lyte

EDIT: Downvote for answering the OP question in the title...yep

Sir Tiddles

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiister View Post
Lyte

EDIT: Downvote for answering the OP question in the title...yep
Downvoting is often random and unjustified, like trolling, excessive cursing, and now bans as well. I upvoted you to compensate. Do you think anyone from Riot will compensate me for this unjustified ban?

1) I've never been warned or banned before for any reason.
2) If I had been told at any point that reporting people was a bannable offense or that my reports were not resulting in enough Tribunal actions, then I definitely would have changed my reporting practices. Those statistics suggesting I would not learn from it sound like a very unreliable method of justifying banning some people who didn't deserve it.
3) I have never been warned or banned, so I doubt I was up for a perma-ban.
4) People get pardoned when they used derogatory homophobic and racist comments. They also get warnings for this behavior usually instead of a ban. This is Riot telling me that racism and homophobia and whatever other infractions are just "kind of bad" and still kind of acceptable. But reporting people for what you think violates the Summoner's Code too often is the worst thing a player can do.
5) I'm in a low ELO bracket where literally almost every single game there is somebody actively trolling, and if not that then somebody is cursing up a storm and scapegoating somebody on their team. Another way to look at it is that perhaps not enough people are bothering to do reports, and a few people who have been diligent in reporting any infractions they see (which should be considered a good thing) are being punished.
6) The number of other people banned doesn't matter to the people unjustly banned.

C000kiemonstar

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Tiddles View Post
I have never been banned or given a warning ever. I sometimes tell people that if they keep up some behavior that violates the summoner's code then I will report them, but I never say it in the kind of way you just described (in the thread in the general forum) -- and let me be perfectly honest here, just telling somebody they are acting crazy and that they will be reported for it if they continue very often makes them stop. I was banned, and I firmly believe that it is not justified.

On a more removed from the situation perspective, banning a player before giving them a warning or notice seems very extreme and unwarranted. I know that I for one would have changed my reporting ways if I had been given some kind of notice that
1) It is even possible to be banned from reporting people too much, and
2) I was violating somebody at Riot's idea of how I should be reporting.

But instead I was just banned for a week out of the blue. I have no information as to why, or what actions I did that were wrong and I have no way to find out. And on top of that, the people I reported have always been people who curse, name call, pick somebody and verbally abuse them the entire game, have such a bad attitude that I find the game is no longer fun, or went AFK for a large portion of the game not related to an internet issue or a real life emergency, or very obviously trying to ruin the game for others such as the uncountable times people have said "you ****ing suck ***** I'm never ganking your lane again" followed by "report n00b feeder ***** <insert name of champion I was playing>" or doing things like forcing uneven team fights constantly and refusing to cooperate or coordinate with the team, or just constantly tower diving from level 1 on. I am unfortunately not a very good player, and am in a low ELO where there are very definite cases of trolling in almost every game, and always bad attitudes. So I admit that I reported frequently, because I thought I was helping improve the community -- my thinking that if I thought something violated the summoner's code but might not, that reporting them was still a good idea because if it wasn't then the tribunal would decide that and they wouldn't be punished for my error in judgement.

Riot has stated that most people who are given a warning are never brought up to the Tribunal again. WHY WASN'T A WARNING GIVEN OUT TO ME IF MY ACTIONS WERE SO BAD? It makes absolutely no sense to just do a sweeping ban without first giving the player a chance to recognize that he/she is doing wrong and to change it. Because I honestly thought I have been helping improve the LoL community with my reports, and now I am banned for it.

I would greatly appreciate the chance to go over my case with somebody, as I really believe that I have not been reporting people falsely for reasons other than they were violating the summoner's code. And if I truly am such a horrible and extremely terrible player for my reporting habits then I'd like to know what instances of my reporting is not correct so I can change it.

Because otherwise this feels like just another time that I have been abused and mistreated in LoL, only this time it is by Riot, and not another player in my < 1300 ELO bracket calling me a n00b **** f@gg0t feeder (whom I will no longer be reporting for fear of being banned again, even though I can't even put them on ignore thanks to some bug you at Riot refuse to fix). And I really don't think I could come back to or spend more than the $100 I've already spent on a game that bans you out of the blue without giving warnings or explanations, and puts honest fear into players who are trying to better the horrible player-to-player interactions by reporting people who curse and name call constantly. And even if I ever play again, I will certainly never report anyone and never say anything, because there is absolutely no transparency and no accountability. I don't even know what I did wrong.
No warning was a huge injustice....

Im sure you are banned like most of us for the same reason.

You reported offensive language users or verbal abuse... and that was overlooked and the major reporters of that offense are now banned.

NO WARNING....streight to 7 days....

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2504598