Sign if you're going to be 'boycotting' the report feature.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sakuri Ono

08-22-2012

So after spending most of the afternoon reading the posts regarding the rash of recent bans and past weeks of reading the instances where people pardon even under extreme rule violations; I've decided that in order to safely enjoy this game I'm never going to report any violation, until a point where Riot completely overhauls their current system.

There's no telling what people will pardon, so in my opinion it's better to just 'play it safe' and never report; so that way I can continue to enjoy the game for a much longer time period with no risk of a wrongful banning. (I have yet to ever receive any warnings or punishments from Riot and have never really done anything that would make me fear such a thing. Heck even my total reports from the past 3+ weeks are probably >25 tops. But even then I really don't want to risk it considering you can spam racial profanity and still get a 'controversial pardon'.)

I can tell from other posts that there are a lot of other people who seem to be sharing this sentiment. So in order to get a feel from the community exactly how negative the whiplash is from this new system, please /sign if you too will be abandoning the report function.

I figure if the community is that upset/frightened over what the algorithm can do, and enough signatures are gathered; Riot 'might' have to stop and go "Wait a second...this really was a bad idea."

So let it begin. Try not to be too riled up in this particular topic; this is intended to present a 'show of voice' in number over a disagreement in policy, not as a 'bashing' of the company itself.

/sign
-Sakuri Ono

Diamondragan

08-22-2012

Something something bottom line something something corporate something something abuse something something "evidence" something something negative experience.

Play the game, and do it well, or face punishment from a cold, heartless system. Death is more than 300G to the enemy team; it's also an opportunity to be denied access to it.

Leave it to the objective mind of a machine to decide that believing it's inappropriate to rub victory in to the losers' noses is an offense to the system. "GG easy", "G" "G", "lol nubs", etc. Show Humility in Victory, Grace in Defeat, but if you want to anyway, go ahead and be mean-spirited. Oh, and those people that don't like it? They're getting banned.

Innocence is subjective as it gets, and even the rules are willing to say, "Well, it's not that big of a deal..."

Well, it's not that big of a deal for you, Riot. I've had it with this. Despite statistics, people are still negative, people are still offensive, and people still AFK. Less does not mean non-existent, and a constant stream of new players is sure to keep the attitude level down. Every unvictoryward event is met with criticism and negativity almost instantly. Each death breeds infighting and provokes unnecessary comments and language. All matches end with players confirming their dominance in chat. This will never end; in fact, this new system of yours has broken me.

I don't report everyone in every match. I report behavior I personally find unacceptable and things that bother me. I've been playing for two years, and I've finally had enough. This is not the game for me. You are not the game company for me. My investment in this game is regrettable, and as time passes I'm sure you'll sate the masses with more of the same things that keep money rolling in.

But, enough about me. YOU have lost a customer. As of right now, I will be uninstalling the League of Legends client and all related material. This action will go without notice or care, but the results are absolute. YOU have gone too far.

I would boycott the report function if I still played, but this game company is toxic to my life. GG

/sign
-Diamondragan

ßårtõLõtråß

08-22-2012

boycott the entire game broskis, I already boycotted the tribunal and I still got banned.

vladdy676

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

agree boycott riot boycott everything. Riots just out of hand right now.

Indica

08-22-2012

No way. I report about once a game, sometimes more. It's really helpful for cleaning up the community. I'm careful to only report people who blatantly break the summoners code though and I never falsely report. Do some people miss the intentional part of intentionally feeding? Those are the reports that are getting you in trouble. Not legitimate ones.

magooomba

08-22-2012

It's evident from Lyte's responses that simply reporting people who are then pardoned is not enough to trigger this. If your concerns with your discretion in reporting people is great enough to cause you to not report, I would think that's exactly what Riot wants you to do. In short, I don't believe this "boycott" is actually accomplishing what you think it would (assuming it actually would do anything in the first place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We purposely targeted players who were using reports as a threatening or bullying tool and personally displayed toxic behaviors that we felt were severely toxic to others in their games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magtek View Post
Well guys, guess we can't use the report function anymore. Using features built in to the game gets you banned. Trying too hard gets you banned as well. Even playing the game gets you banned. Can I get banned for posting on the forums too?
Using a feature to abuse and harass other players and attempt to get decent players banned is the problem. Let's not get carried away here.

Sakuri Ono

08-22-2012

It's less of a 'boycott' and more of a 'Yeah you say the electric fence is just to keep the bad things out; but I'd rather not get close and risk tripping onto it'. I use the word boycott because 'technically' that's what it is by literal definition; even if the mentality behind it isn't the same as what your typical 'boycott' means this generation. I've read the Lyte posts but they're going to have to do more than that to convince me it's 'safe' to report someone; as you really don't have to look too far around here to find a case record where someone said/did something report-worthy in game and yet got pardoned (which gives you, the reporter, a 'false report' strike and puts you all that closer to the unknown 'insta-ban' ratio).

Unless they say specifically 'where the line is' and give you some sort of counting system to determine 'how close you are to crossing it' then the risk/reward for reporting a toxic player is no where near satisfactory. Personally I'd rather keep that player in the game, as I can ignore insults/harassment just fine due to having thicker skin than most, then risk a ban because a certain % of the player base disagrees with my assessment of their behavior and an automated system says 'You're out!'.

Exploding Barrel

08-22-2012

I'm perfectly happy with a "boycott" of the report button by people not confident in their ability to use it responsibly. I think we'll see a lot less noise in the Tribunal.

Geekweezul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

I am going to continue reporting toxic players.

If you are worried about the system, you probably are not reporting the right people in the first place.

I have no fear of this system.

magooomba

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuri Ono View Post
It's less of a 'boycott' and more of a 'Yeah you say the electric fence is just to keep the bad things out; but I'd rather not get close and risk tripping onto it'. I use the word boycott because 'technically' that's what it is by literal definition; even if the mentality behind it isn't the same as what you're typical 'boycott' means this generation. I've read the Lyte posts but they're going to have to do more than that to convince me it's 'safe' to report someone; as you really don't have to look too far around here to find a case record where someone said/did something report-worthy in game and yet got pardoned (which gives you, the reporter, a 'false report' strike and puts you all that closer to the unknown 'insta-ban' ratio).

Unless they say specifically 'where the line is' and give you some sort of counting system to determine 'how close you are to crossing it' then the risk/reward for reporting a toxic player is no where near satisfactory. Personally I'd rather keep that player in the game, as I can ignore insults/harassment just fine due to having thicker skin than most, then risk a ban because a certain % of the player base disagrees with my assessment of their behavior and an automated system says 'You're out!'.
I'm just saying that if you aren't sure if you're actually abusing the reporting feature or simply using it, you probably shouldn't report people. By "boycotting" reporting you are actively doing what Riot wants: playing the game and not abusing the system.

That aside, I understand you wanting to voice your displeasure and unease with this decision, and I hope you do find answers to some of the questions you have.