Dodging a ranked game stops your elo decaying

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cornwillis

08-22-2012

Hello there.

I haven't played a lot of ranked games in the past four months or so, the last one I did attempt to play resulted what looked like what was going to be an frustrating game based on player behaviour in pre-game chat, so I dodged. Didn't bother to queue again, thought I'd just let my elo decay and be done with it.

After what seemed like a while, I noticed my elo hadn't shifted at all. It has been a good few months without me playing any ranked, I'd just queue up and instantly dodge (just to see if my elo would eventually decay) and it hasn't budged!

I assume this isn't intended, as I don't feel like I'm keeping my skill level up by running around in ARAM all day.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not referring the penalty that you get for dodging, I'm talking about losing elo every 4 weeks for inactivity in ranked games.

rpvarela

08-22-2012

That was a patch change. You elo no longer decays, but you get a longer queue leaver penalty.

Cornwillis

08-22-2012

I'm not talking about the penalty for leaving, sorry I might not have been clear enough.

After a few weeks (I don't know the actual number) of not playing ranked games, you start losing elo - unless you play at least one ranked game. Queuing up and then dodging makes the system think you've played a ranked game, and prevents this gradual loss of elo.

Gumurak

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwillis View Post
I'm not talking about the penalty for leaving, sorry I might not have been clear enough.

After a few weeks (I don't know the actual number) of not playing ranked games, you start losing elo - unless you play at least one ranked game. Queuing up and then dodging makes the system think you've played a ranked game, and prevents this gradual loss of elo.

And what he told you is that they removed that and upped leaver penalty. Meaning, elo no longer decays. And even dodging isnt worth it as a dodge on ranked hits you for 30 mins.

Cornwillis

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumurak View Post
And what he told you is that they removed that and upped leaver penalty. Meaning, elo no longer decays. And even dodging isnt worth it as a dodge on ranked hits you for 30 mins.
AFAIK this isn't the case - I had a look over patch notes and didn't find anything about them removing elo decay. I'm happy to be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure it still exists.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ighlight=decay

I'm talking about this kind of thing.

Gumurak

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwillis View Post
AFAIK this isn't the case - I had a look over patch notes and didn't find anything about them removing elo decay. I'm happy to be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure it still exists.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ighlight=decay

I'm talking about this kind of thing.
Not sure what to tell you. Mine doesn't.

Cornwillis

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumurak View Post
Not sure what to tell you. Mine doesn't.
Only applies if you're over 1400 elo I believe.

rpvarela

08-22-2012

From the patch after Draven's:

" Dodging a ranked game will no longer result in loss of Elo but the time before you can join any queue again has greatly increased."

Edit - Source: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2226294

psych00range

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

he means after 1400 elo if you dont play for 4 weeks your elo drops by 25 this obviously hasnt happened to him if he is above 1400

Cornwillis

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych00range View Post
he means after 1400 elo if you dont play for 4 weeks your elo drops by 25 this obviously hasnt happened to him if he is above 1400
Yep that's the one