Flat CDR runes now completely destroy scaling CDR runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

General Quackers

03-19-2013

They don't catch up until level 14.

If you're using any pages with scaling CDR, just swap it to flat if you have access to those runes.

MyDeadGrandma

03-19-2013

Not particularly relevant to the dominion forums.

But yes, this is rather aggravating.

<---was sucked into buying scaling over flat as a noob due to the former being the cheaper option.

DiscworldDeath

03-19-2013

The scaling caught up with the flat at level 13 before, exactly.

Now they catch up at level 14 (13.5, technically). It's a downgrade, but not nearly as big as your, once more, hyperbolic OP makes it out to be.

I think 8 scaling should hit 10%, rather than 9, then they'd catch up at level 8. I'll probably make a post aimed at Xypherous/Roku about it later today. There are some incomplete things in the CDR runes/masteries reorder they've been doing.

General Quackers

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
The scaling caught up with the flat at level 13 before, exactly.

Now they catch up at level 14 (13.5, technically). It's a downgrade, but not nearly as big as your, once more, hyperbolic OP makes it out to be.

I think 8 scaling should hit 10%, rather than 9, then they'd catch up at level 8. I'll probably make a post aimed at Xypherous/Roku about it later today. There are some incomplete things in the CDR runes/masteries reorder they've been doing.
Excuse me, it caught up at level 11. My mistake.

Flat blues = 5.35 CDR
Scaling blues = 8.62 CDR

5.35/9 = .59 per rune
8.62/9 = .95 per rune at lvl 18/18 = .053 per level per rune

.053*1 = .583 per rune

Three levels of extra gap is still massive.

inFe eD

03-19-2013

Wow.

Old runes:
Flat blue cdr = 0.65
Scaling blue cdr = 0.05 per level.

Scaling catches up at 13, overtakes at 14, which means the change does absolutely nothing as far as the ratio of flat to scaling goes if your calculations for the new ones are correct (which I somehow doubt).

This isn't exactly complicated math, which makes you messing it up twice even more hilarious.

General Quackers

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
Wow.

Old runes:
Flat blue cdr = 0.65
Scaling blue cdr = 0.05 per level.

Scaling catches up at 13, overtakes at 14, which means the change does absolutely nothing as far as the ratio of flat to scaling goes if your calculations for the new ones are correct (which I somehow doubt).

This isn't exactly complicated math, which makes you messing it up twice even more hilarious.
My math isn't wrong. My starting values may be inaccurate, but the math I used was calculated correctly. So it's not a matter of doing the math well, it's a matter of knowing the old value of the runes.

naotasan

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDeadGrandma View Post
Not particularly relevant to the dominion forums..
I think it's very relevant. Per level runes have always been far better on Dominion, and if they're getting nerfed, it feels quite relevant.

NamKim

03-19-2013

I always use Flat CRD runes because the idea is to get an early advantage because I can use more spells than my enemies. Many times, getting one spell off before my enemy was the difference between dying and killing.

Often times, my build was more than sufficient to still get that 40% CDR.

Although, I will admit that I've been slowly moving away from CDR runes and more towards MR runes. If I had more rune pages, I would have one with CDR and one with MR and use them depending on which champion I ended up playing... But when you buy everything with IP, rune pages are a huge investment in time.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that this is just my play style. I understand my method of playing might not the best, but it is the style that suits me the best.

Koravel

03-19-2013

I agree with NamKim, I've always used flat CDR.

Now, they are 7.50 for the whole game, vs 10.0 at level 18. Is the extra 2.5% worth what you lose early on?

(Perhaps it is, I haven't really delved into it too deeply. Just curious.)

lbgsloan

03-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
I always use Flat CRD runes because the idea is to get an early advantage because I can use more spells than my enemies. Many times, getting one spell off before my enemy was the difference between dying and killing.

Often times, my build was more than sufficient to still get that 40% CDR.

Although, I will admit that I've been slowly moving away from CDR runes and more towards MR runes. If I had more rune pages, I would have one with CDR and one with MR and use them depending on which champion I ended up playing... But when you buy everything with IP, rune pages are a huge investment in time.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that this is just my play style. I understand my method of playing might not the best, but it is the style that suits me the best.
Don't think it's just you, mres runes actually got stronger in S3 because flat mpen items got nerfed. Void Staff is much stronger now, but it's a pain for top players to get since pro ring, BFT and boots eat ~60% your income. I'm running mres on 5 of my 6 pages, with the only exception being a flat CDR page I only use on a few champions. 24 free mres is just too universally useful, particularly for champions that don't innately get mres per level.

I don't get how Riot wanted to make the CDR rune numbers less awkward though; I was unaware I could get exactly 2.5% CDR from anything in the game.