Report toxic players? Get banned!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nalien

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

So after getting numerous suspensions on my account in the past I have stopped using any form of inappropriate language that is not directed towards friends I've been playing premade games with.

Since however, as we all know, playing in solo queue will result in a troll game the majority of the time I have decided to simply report the toxic players, usually with a few words describing their behaviour and occassionally without.

But apparently this justifies the following:

Quote:
Dear Summoner,

Internal audits by staff members of Riot have revealed consistent abuse of the “Report A Player” feature by your account within League of Legends.

Falsely reporting players over a large span of time dilutes the significance of your reports and causes unnecessary distress to the players being reported. Reporting players is a tool used to help improve the community rather than a tool used to threaten or bully other players.

Due to this toxic behavior, your account has been temporarily suspended.

One week.

When asking for the cases which had been falsely reported I stay ignored.

Especially ironic is the following paragraph:

Quote:
Please note that this is a temporary suspension to serve as an official warning. Moving forward, be mindful of who you are reporting as falsely reporting players is not only against the Summoner’s Code, but also negatively effects the League of Legends community. Failure to adjust your in-game behavior can result in additional punishments.

People intentionally feed/leave the games/spout racistic and homophobic slurs/verbally abuse out of the blue and get reported. Reporting them is poor behaviour in-game.

So dear summoners, please in the future, refrain from reporting any players.

Good day.

onihero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Of course, this is also a Tribunal system that pardons people for blatantly racist and toxic behavior.

MCerberus

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihero View Post
Of course, this is also a Tribunal system that pardons people for blatantly racist and toxic behavior.
This is actually a pretty interesting study of rights in conflict. People were getting soooo mad that people could spam report and bully people with report threats, and now we're seeing a punishment for that from a non-tribunal vector.

I don't want to give an opinion on the bans, I just find this academically interesting.

Draxlore

08-22-2012

I just got hit with the same thing. Didnt read anything in the summoners code or the CoC about only reporting SOME of the people who are breaking the rules. So now you get punished for reporting those who have broken the rules. Riot just cant get anything right can they? Ah well...Back to diablo where at least I dont get banned for nothing.

Nalien

08-22-2012

The pardoned case in the other thread with an all caps "n-gger" in the first line in combination with the current ban wave is crystal clear evidence of everything that is wrong with this system.

Dear Riot I hereby warn you not to screw yourself over. It is evident that you enjoy your profits more than anything so let me leave you with this:

SE's Final Fantasy XI once had a multimillion member community until SE decided to regularly drop ban hammers on the community for some severe issues as well as plenty of obsolete pseudo-problems they thought to exist. They clearly assumed that their popularity will not allow for the community to shrink, but now there's only several thousands left, much less than half of the community they once had. They are now desperately trying to suck up to players in order to win them back and not really doing all too well with it. Sure it took several years to decrease so much, but they also started their storm much later than you guys have.
As a former Economist I can guarantee you that your profits will exponentially drop if you stay on your current path. Whether you hear it or not I honestly could not care less about.

YouGotPwnx2

08-22-2012

This is so bad.
Tribunal is really bad.
Report trolls, get ban
n1

oO Undersky Oo

08-22-2012

This is really sad I just bought Rengar and before even playing him Im banned for one week and the reason?

Reporting players that legitimately broke the Summoners Code.

I thought I was helping improve the dam game by reporting bad behavior, intentional feeding, leavers...

Im just very confused with this situation.

nikev9

08-22-2012

i dont even make false reports cause everyone i report diserve it and i got banned THIS GAME IS SUCH A BS

Nalien

08-22-2012

If you look at the incident rationally there is not too much to be confused about.

Riot is trying to visualize a clear image of what the community should be like, unfortunately they have repeatedly failed to implement appropriate counter-measures.

The idea behind the mass bannings: If people hear about it they will stop abusing the report function.

The reality: The Tribunal pardons and punishes at wrong plenty of times as repeatedly proven, if someone plays a lot they will without a doubt report more if they have any intention of improving the overall gaming experience by removing/reforming toxic players. Due to the flaw in the Tribunal the amount of "false" reports increases dramatically as your playtime increases. In the end a lot of innocent people got hit by what was a good but poorly implemented idea.

LawGiver500

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
This is actually a pretty interesting study of rights in conflict. People were getting soooo mad that people could spam report and bully people with report threats, and now we're seeing a punishment for that from a non-tribunal vector.

I don't want to give an opinion on the bans, I just find this academically interesting.
Oh the irony of not being careful what you wish for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
These are not Tribunal bans. We've been doing a lot of experiments and analysis with false reporters and have found that many of them are contributing to negative experiences in the games they are in--these players tend to threaten players with reports, or threaten players to play their way or be reported. For example, the OP in this case has reported hundreds of players that were not actually toxic and in the process created toxic experiences for these players. The same OP has received reports in 19% of his games resulting in hundreds of reports filed against him and has been punished multiple times by the Tribunal.

We've reviewed these players with extremely high numbers of false reporting and decided to send out a temporary timeout to these players and warn them that this behavior is unacceptable and let them know that they have been creating a negative experience for other players.