Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malzahar Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brizzley

09-15-2010

I want to ask a few things about Malzahar...

I played a bot practice game with him, and found that I performed significantly worse than when using other champions, but I thought his skills were fun... and he just looks awesome.

Why is he underrated?

And if he is viable, what are "viable" builds?

Mirelyght

09-15-2010

ap and a survival item or 2

i roll zhonyas
rylais
3 speed boots
cdr item
void staff
banshees veil

this list is generic as you adjust according to the game and team. i always keep a stack of healthpots on me and use ignite/ghost for my summoner spells. 9/0/21 are my masteries.

gun fu panda

09-15-2010

Great team fighter, but he has a hard time against teams with good mobility and is only ok in ganks. He's very ult reliant to set up any kills.

He's ok in an AOE/CC team, but fairly weak in a team that isn't dedicated to that meta.

Eat dat chammich

09-15-2010

Malz is a great anti-carry by way of being able to top to bottom the first person that gets too close with his ult combo. He has great teamfight damage output but is a little dependent on your team having stuns or the enemy committing to a certain location.

I run Tear > Rylai's > Archangel's > Void Staff > Defensive Items. As always make sure that your build order and items fits your opponents but this is the most common build and order that I end up with.

idyemyhairbrown

Recruiter

09-15-2010

Malz is a very good character if played correctly.
Items:
Doran's Ring + health pot
Tears of the Goddess
Boots of Swiftness
Rylais
Zhonya's
Archangle's Staff
Void Staff

If you think your team will be doing well kill-wise, get a soul stealer before or right after tears.
Try to stay in the back and spam your call of the void/malefic visions;

For runes I go speed quints, magic pen, health/level and cdr

dreamNing

09-15-2010

He isn't really underrated so much as to say there's a lot of people who think he is not as versatile or as strong of a caster as some of the other ones (Annie for instance) especially in a meta game that is currently not favourable towards casters.

However, opinions and discussions about metagame really only apply if you're one of the best players in the world on one of the best teams in the world playing against similar levels of competition.

For the vast majority of people playing the game Malzahar could be completely viable and can contribute greatly to the match.

Sykomyke

09-15-2010

I find the only way to succesfully build him is to get RoA, then either Archangels or Rylais (not enough time or money for both usually) I forgo the Zhonyas for a Deathfire Grasp which gives me some CDR (great for his ult!) and allows me to add another nuke into my combo.

The main problem with Malzahar is his survivability, RoA+Rylais does this by giving him straight health/mana/AP but you are still highly susceptible to focus fire/CC.

Banshee is good, but it would either have to replace Rylais (fine if your team has some good hard CC anyways) or RoA (I disagree with this, I think RoA is a core item for him) but to each their own.

Sykomyke

09-15-2010

Quote:
idyemyhairbrown:
Malz is a very good character if played correctly.
Items:
Doran's Ring + health pot
Tears of the Goddess
Boots of Swiftness
Rylais
Zhonya's
Archangle's Staff
Void Staff

If you think your team will be doing well kill-wise, get a soul stealer before or right after tears.
Try to stay in the back and spam your call of the void/malefic visions;

For runes I go speed quints, magic pen, health/level and cdr

Doran's is unnecessary. You should be running with Flat HP Quints, that gives you enough health early on. Get mana crystal+1 hp pot+1 mana pot. Judicious use and keeping your malefic visions spreading will give you all the mana you need until you get a catalyst. At that point you are fine until you can finish your RoA+Boots (Around the 14-18 minute mark depending if you get kills/assists).

Also, snowball items are bad items in general. If you aren't doing well, or the other team is playing carefully, then snowball items are only going to hurt your game as they only become "cost effective" past the 4th stack. Essentially, snowball items are only good if you are already winning the game, in which case getting a straight AP item like archangels or Zhonyas would benefit more directly to winning faster anyhow.

Snowball items are a logical fallacy in their current iteration and IMO are completely useless.

Xtchizobr

09-15-2010

Quote:
gun fu panda:
Great team fighter, but he has a hard time against teams with good mobility and is only ok in ganks. He's very ult reliant to set up any kills.

He's ok in an AOE/CC team, but fairly weak in a team that isn't dedicated to that meta.

quite the opposite.

in fact, Malzahar is one of the most flexible squishy AP champs around. he has exceptional ganking ability through his ult and Void Zone which allow him to deal massive damage to his target. Void Zone also functions marvelously in AoE teamfights (Amumu + Nunu + Galio style), and Call of the Void too. he can farm and lane spectacularly with Visions and voidlings, and his AP ratios are just fine, so he scales into late game.

no champion is a god on his own, so of course Malz benefits by being near a teammate with CC and whatnot.

he doesn't really depend on his ult to make kills any more than other champions do. 1v1, of course he needs his ult to be a match for other champions -- just as they need their ult to be a match against him.

FABIOForever

09-15-2010

Why does everyone unconditionally recommend void staff?

It's only useful if the entire enemy team is packing 100+ magic resist. Otherwise it's a terrible value and you're much better off packing sorcerer shoes, guise, or abyssal scepter.