Rhapsody For The Dawn ( Sona x Leona )

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KobuZero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

Hey there guys, I've been inspired by all the wonderful fan fics out there and decided to try my hand at writing my own. This is only a taste of the first chapter that I'm working on, if you like it please let me know, the full chapter should be done soon and I'll be posting it on fanfiction.net, which I will provide a link to.

I try to make sure I catch all my spelling and grammatical errors but if I missed one please let me know so I may fix it asap.

Also, I am not the best writer out there so please be gentle with your critiques.

Chapter 1 is finally complete and can be found here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8184153/...y_for_the_Dawn

= Rhapsody for the Dawn =

As Leona strolled through the halls of the League of Legends, silently following one of the attendants to her new quarters here in the league. Her judgment had been a grueling one as she had to relive the memories of Mount Talgon. But she was indeed the Radiant Dawn, and the league finally had it's champion of the sun. Her mind wandered as she absently observed the purple hued walls of the league. She was snapped out of her reveries by the attendant who had stopped promptly in front of her, bowed slightly with his hands gesturing toward the door.

" Your quarters m'lady. Please enjoy your stay and welcome to the League of Legends."

Leona nodded silently then turned to the door and her heart warmed a bit at the inscribed sun toward the top of the door, she smiled warmly as she opened the door and entered her room, thanking the attendant before shutting the door and spinning around to take a look at her new home.

On the far wall was a large window, with a bench seat, so that Leona could sit and bask in the sun during the day. Off to the right side of that was a simple sofa, coffee table and a bookshelf that only contained text books about the League. Beyond the small living room was a tiny single person kitchen, to her left was her bedroom and bathroom, situated conveniently next to each other. Not much in the way of decoration was in the room aside from a large tapestry with the same sun symbol as the one on the door.

Leona wandered to check out her bedroom, and the weight of her journey finally reared it's ugly head as she saw the large bed in the center of the moderately sized room. There were already pegs on the walls for her sword and shield to be hung. So she gladly hung them there, her giant tower shield not putting any strain on the sturdy pegs. Leona nodded approvingly even though no one was around to see it before she got to work on removing her equally heavy armor, leaving her in just her basic traveling pants and a tight fitting white tank top that she wore beneath the red and gold uniform of the Solari.

She sat on the bed, it was soft, yet firm enough to support her, and she quickly removed her boots and set them neatly under the nightstand, and with that she flopped over onto the bed and didn't even have time to cover up under the blankets before she was asleep.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Sona sat on one of the stone benches in the gigantic garden of the league. She watched the fountain that lay in the center of the gardens, and played her Etwahl along with the chirping of the birds, occasionally she stopped and picked up the quill and parchment next to her to jot down a few notes. She smiled to herself as she watched the birds and plucked the strings almost as if she where speaking with them that way. She felt peaceful doing this, seeing as she sat out here nearly every day to enjoy the sounds and conversations of the birds that frequented the fountain area.

Footsteps echoed throughout the gardens as someone approached from one of the paths into the sitting area. Sona glanced surprised at first then relaxed as Ashe the Frost Archer appeared before her. The Freljord Queen strode over to Sona gracefully and took a seat next to the Maven. She sat quietly for a few minutes, listening to Sona pluck away at her instrument contently.

Finally Ashe spoke " Did you hear Sona, there is a new champion in the League." She asked in her regal voice, as she watched for Sona's reaction. The musician simply stuck a high noted string on her Etwahl in response. Ashe understood that as a yes.

The Frost Archer had befriended Sona soon after she joined the League. They became fast friends and Sona was shy at first due to the fact that she couldn't speak, so naturally it made it a bit difficult to communicate with the other champions to form friendships. But Ashe had taken a liking to the Maven of the Strings and over time, through bonding and working together, had worked out an effective system for Sona to communicate simple things with Ashe. Most other champions found it confusing, but Ashe loved the almost secret language and bond that had developed between them.

Sona titled her head at Ashe, with a confused face. Knowing this was her curious expression, Ashe continued with the details. " They call her The Radiant Dawn. I believe she is from the Solari Tribe, from atop Mount Talgon." Ashe explained, then waited for Sona's reply.

Sona's eyes drifted upwards to the sky and briefly looked at the sun before looking back down at the fountain, then back at Ashe as she plucked three different strings. Ashe laughed merrily, knowing that was meant as ' I'd like to meet her.'

" Well perhaps we should allow her to settle in first, and who knows you might get to be in her first match." Ashe replied to the curious Sona. The aqua hared girl simply nodded and smiled brightly and then returned to plucking the strings of her strange instrument, this time playing an actual song as Ashe sat silently and listened the enchanting song.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

A knock at the door woke Leona from her deep and well needed sleep. She rolled out of bed, her head still foggy as she stumbled to the door, her hair in a jumbled mess. She lazily swung the door open and blinked as three of the League's summoners stood before her in their grey robes, hopeful smiles on their young faces.

" May I help you?" Leona asked tiredly as she rubbed her eyes and yawned. The summoners looked amongst each other then back at the unexpected sight of a freshly woken Leona. The young man in the center of the trio, which was comprised of himself, and two young women, finally spoke after clearing his throat and adjusting himself.

" Leona, The Radiant Dawn, we have come to inform you that your first test match will be held in the next hour. Please be ready. " He bowed swiftly and turned on his heel, as the girls did the same and they wandered off down the corridor.

Leona stared after them for a few moments. You'd think these summoners would ask nicely for our service she thought to herself as she turned back into her room and shut the door. She stumbled back to her room, still not fully awake and flopped on her bed with a loud sigh. Her eyes drifted around the room before they finally fell on her armor and shield, perfectly hung on their respective pegs.

The sun warrior's mind drifted between small thoughts. Did she truly belong here? Her motives had been questioned during her Judgment.

“Why do you want to join the League, Leona?” Jagen had asked, in his usual questioning tone.
“I am chosen of the sun. The League should feel privileged." Leona had answered confidently.

But should they really feel privileged? Did she truly have such power? That summoners, who possessed such powerful magic should be grateful to wield her power? If even for a short time? Only time would tell for the soldier of the sun.

She sighed finally and decided to put those thoughts on the shelf in her mind to be contemplated later. Leona stood from the bed and began the long process of donning her heavy raiment. She looked in the mirror that hung above her nightstand and took the few moments to brush her hair and tie it back in its usual loose ponytail. She then carefully pinned her hair up in the sun shaped pins to hold her hair away from her eyes. It would not do to have one's hair in their way when trying to block.

When finally she was satisfied that she looked like the regal and professional Guardian that she was, she nodded to herself in the mirror, picked up her golden sword and shield, both gifts from the sun itself, and headed for her test match.

On her way through the halls, Leona followed the signs written in an artsy text along the walls pointing to different areas of the expansive institute. As Leona made her way to Champion's Lounge, where Champions awaited their scheduled matches, she passed several different characters. Some summoners, and some champions. Some of them she recognized as she passed them. She stopped for a moment as she spotted a young blonde haired girl who radiated a bright light, dressed in the armor of the Demacians pass by her. Along side her, was not her brother Garen as she had expected, but one of the newest members of the League, the young Noxian woman with white hair, Leona recalled her name as Riven. She was a self imposed exile after a horrible skirmish with the Ionians that she had been apart of that quickly became a disaster thanks to Singed and his toxic style of waging war. Leona was disgusted by people like him, so she felt for Riven in a way.

Leona continued down the hallway, as several other champions passed her, some of them ignored her and others stopped and stared, or simply glanced her way. Leona felt both honored to be amongst them, yet also like a bit of a spectical. 'I suppose some of them have never seen a Solari before.' she thought to herself.

Finally after traversing the absurdly long hallway Leona arrived at two large double doors. Marked with the all the symbols of the different nations, and above it was a sign made of gold that read: Champions Lounge.

"Looks like I found it..." Leona said softly to herself as she pushed the doors open and entered the lounge.

The inside of the lounge was pretty much what Leona had expected. Along the walls hung different tapestries with all the nations crests on it, and couches where placed here and there along with a big round fireplace planted in the very center of the room.

She went unnoticed at first as she strode over to the fire, and held her hands in front of herself to warm them. But when she looked up to see who else was there, she saw that every champion in the room had their eyes on her.

Shyly she raised a hand and waved to them, and said in a confidant voice, " Hello fellow combatants." A few of them turned around and went about their business or conversations, but one approached her.

Leona recognized her immediately as Ashe, the Queen of the Frejlords, and bowed slightly to show her respect. Ashe simply waved a hand with a slight blush on her cheeks. " No need for that, I may be royalty but I don't require everyone to be so formal, I am just a regular woman after all." She said in an amused voice. "You are Leona correct? The Radiant Dawn."

The warrior nodded and accepted Ashe's offered hand shake. " Yes, I just arrived here this morning, I was instructed to report here for a test match." Leona stated. " Well you're in the right place then, this is where the champions of the league come to warm up or discuss strategy before a match." Ashe explained as she twirled a strand of her snow white hair around her index finger.

Leona's face turned into a puzzled expression. " I thought that champions where just randomly summoned into their matches." She said in a confused voice.

" The League makes sure that we are at least notified that there will be an upcoming match, so that champions have at least a few moments to prepare. You wouldn't want to summon a champion at the wrong moment, if you know what I mean." Ashe smiled wryly as at first Leona's expression became even more confused then laughed as realization came over her face and the sun champion's embarrassed chuckle.

" Here, let me introduce you." Ashe said as she recovered her composure and turned toward the other three champions in the lounge. " This is Garen." She said gesturing to the tall well groomed man in the large shining armor of the Demacians standing on the opposite side of the fire place from them who simply blinked at them.

Ashe then pointed toward the couch near the far wall. Sitting on it was a young girl, with nine fox tails and a pair of ears that moved with her expressions, just as a real fox. " That is Ahri, the Nine Tailed Fox." Ahri's ears perked at the mention of her name and all nine tails of hers wagged slightly in all different directions. " Good to meet you Leona." Ahri said in her silky voice. " I look forward to your first match"

" And last but certainly not least." Ashe stooped down toward the ground and pointed behind Leona. " This is Teemo."
The warrior spun on her heal to see the little Yordle dressed in his scout clothing, dart blower in one hand, and the other above his eyes in a salute. " Captain Teemo reporting for duty!" He said in his squeaky voice. Leona had to resist the urge to hug the cute little Yordle. But the tails of Teemo's past and his deadly poisons made her reconsider. Instead she leaned down and gave him a salute as well. " Lovely to meet you Teemo." She said in a cheery tone.

Just as she stood up, a blue haze formed before her eyes, and she knew that this was how they where summoned. She heard Ashe's voice that was muffled by the din of the summoning spell. " It's time everyone, good luck." Then they all disappeared. Leona was surrounded briefly by darkness, and then it faded away and she stood atop the platform of Summoner's Rift.

So this is it... she thought as she surveyed the giant arena. The Nexus glowed brilliantly, and the light bathed the base area in it's purplish light. Leona was about to step off the platform when Ashe stopped her with a tap on the shoulder. She turned to see her pointing to the shop keeper, where all the champions where grabbing their first items. Leona approached the shop, and a voice from in her head spoke. Take a Doran's Shield.

Leona looked over her shoulder to see who it was, but no one but Ashe stood there. So the sun warrior looked down at the shop, and she picked up a badge with a shield inscribed on it in silver, and stuck it on her shield. It melted and disappeared into her giant tower shield as a small flash of light came from it, and Leona felt a surge of power swell up inside her.

Finally she turned to face the three lanes, one straight up the middle, the other two going up the sides, and between them was a thick jungle, shrouded in darkness. She decided she'd avoid that area for now, seeing as there was not much sunlight in that area. Towers lined all three lanes. One on each lane two protect their inhibitor, and two more past those, spaced out evenly between their base and the river. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Ashe head for the far right lane, and Leona decided to follow her.

Welcome to Summoner's Rift! The Announcer's voice echoed through the arena.

She watched as Ahri headed for the middle lane, Teemo and Garen made their way to the far left lane. Then continued on her way jogging a bit to catch up with the Frost Archer who was also jogging along up the lane. Finally Leona caught up to the swift archer, but only because Ashe had stopped under the third tower down the lane. Just beyond the tower was the river that divided the Rift, and off to the other side of the lane some bushes sat along the the treeline. Leona had to squint to spot the enemy's tower that sat all but hidden in the fog of war.

Minions have spawned! The announcer's voice rang out over the arena for the second time.

The Solari warrior turned to see a line of the little doll like figures waddle their way up the lane. Some of them carrying spears, and others carrying small mage staffs. Leona smiled inwardly at the thought that they where slightly cute, for being little pawns of war. She knew the process of slaying the minions to earn gold in the matches, for buying new items. But obviously had never had to replicate the process.

" Remember to stay near your minions, there are times when they may be able to take a hit for you rather than yourself." Ashe said in a quiet voice. Before Leona could turn to ask any more questions, the archer had already scaled one of the taller tree's near the tower and was nestled on a large branch with her bow trained on the bushes.

~ That's all for now ~

Thanks for reading what I have so far. This is only a sample of chapter one which you can find a link to in the next post. Happy reading and please remember to let me know your thoughts.

KobuZero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-07-2012

Update6/5/12: Chapter 1 is complete after being long overdo. You can find it here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8184153/...y_for_the_Dawn
Chapter 2 is already in the works.

Update 6/17/12: Chapter 2 is about half way done. I have been working on a ton of art right now so it's kind of on the back burner. Also I will be going though Chapter 1 and possibly editing a few things. Seeing as I read through it the other day and noticed some big mistakes.

So be watching for chapter 2 and possibly some art to go along with it.

Loso

05-07-2012

Excellent job. I like the way you introduce new characters by describing them. A lot of writers here just assume we know what everybody looks like. I hope to see more soon =D

Silver of Souls

05-08-2012

Nice job! I like your style and I'm interested to see where this goes.

Dorryza

05-08-2012

Nice! Very nice writing- good description as well.
Moar plz =D

-Dorryza

KobuZero

05-24-2012

Hey guys I appologize for the long wait on me getting the rest of this chapter done. Its been quite hectic for me right now, I promise it shall be up soon! I also plan on drawing something neat for the chapter as an appology for taking so darned long.

Eredaar

05-24-2012

Hey just gonna point out any grammar errors I see, there may be more.
"As Leona strolled through the halls of the League of Legends, silently following one of the attendants to her new quarters here in the league." Fragment, you started with an adverb clause and then went to a participial phrase a better way to say it would have been " As Leona strolled through the halls of the League of Legends, she silently followed one of the attendants to her new quarters ( I don't think the here is really needed)in the league."

"Leona nodded silently then turned to the door ,and her heart warmed a bit at the inscribed sun toward the top of the door; she smiled warmly as she opened the door and entered her room, thanking the attendant before shutting the door and spinning around to take a look at her new home. " really long run-on. I inserted some/changing punctuation in it( in bold).

"Off to the right side of that was a simple sofa" this isn't actually grammatically wrong but I don't think the " of that" is needed ( take anything where I say I don't think something is needed with a grain of salt. You can trust the rest as I am just pointing out ones that are obvious and I know how to fix them xD)

"There were already pegs on the walls for her sword and shield to be hung. So she gladly hung them there, her giant tower shield not putting any strain on the sturdy pegs." this one isn't grammatically wrong either ,but if it was me writing this I would have put the adverb clause at the end of the first sentence.

"She watched the fountain that lay in the center of the gardens, and played her Etwahl along with the chirping of the birds" The bolded comma shouldn't be there.

"They became fast friends and Sona was shy at first due to the fact that she couldn't speak" You forgot to add a comma before the and.

"so naturally it made it a bit difficult to communicate with the other champions to form friendships. But Ashe had taken a liking to the Maven of the Strings and over time, through bonding and working together, had worked out an effective system for Sona to communicate simple things with Ashe." The bolded period should be a comma.

" ' I'd like to meet her.' " right uh on this one you forgot to press shift while pressing the quotations button xD.

Alright that's enough for now, I haven't actually finished looking at it but I am getting bored :P

KobuZero

06-04-2012

Chapter 1 is finally complete and can be found here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8184153/...y_for_the_Dawn

However, the word document I used to post it may or may not have dropped all of my italics and such, it looked fine to me when I uploaded it, but if it isn't please let me know and I'll fix it asap.

Happy reading everyone

Mirage Night

06-05-2012

Well done. I like this alot.Keep it up.

KobuZero

06-17-2012

Chapter 2 is about half way done, you can expect it very soon, when I'm done drawing of course XD