Distance/Movement is CC

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

08-20-2012

I had to explain this to my play group the other night (most are between 1200-1400 players). Forcing someone to walk a certain distance is effectively a form of CC.

While walking, they cannot auto attack and most spells can't be cast. If someone needs to spend 1 second walking towards you before they can do stuff to you, then they're effectively CCed for that 1 second in which they are walking.

The key difference is that many players don't think of things this way. This is the reason why positioning is so important. If you don't position properly and you need to take a second to move into position after initiation, then you effectively CC yourself. That time you spent walking is time you could have been attacking or casting had you positioned yourself better.

As such, positioning abilities (both offensive and defensive) are incredibly powerful. This is why Flash is so much more popular than Ghost. Flash is an instantaneous re position while Ghost still requires you to spend time moving.

This also is why certain things like taunts are (in some cases) more effective than stuns. Not only is the victim unable to control themselves, they're forced to walk towards the person taunting them and thus being pulled further out of position. So a taunt or a grab (like Skarnar) is not just a 2 second disable. It's 2 seconds + whatever time it's going to take for them to get back into position.

frenzykio

08-20-2012

That is why blitz is banned so much. And I totally agree. It also opens up the possibility for more cc. Like blitz grab on its own is pretty good, but then combined with his e and some other cc from his team, its a 4v5. I would think of blitz grab to have MUCH more effective cc, like the possibilility opening up for more cc

Essieu

08-20-2012

I classify CC as you FORCING another champion to move in a certain way, or effecting his movement.

If he has to walk 1 second towards you to attack. Thats not CC thats positioning. Because he has a choice. He can stop moving and not walk. He doesnt have to walk forward for 1 sec.

While I dont disagree with what your saying, I think your immensely over complicating things.

FaerellG

08-20-2012

I understand the distinction you're making and it is a valid one (and I don't know who downvoted you). Perhaps, we can rephrase it to "movement/distance is as effective as CC".

I mean, their options are attack someone less optimal, don't attack, or spend time walking into a proper position. Functionally, it's as good as CC because you're forcing your opponent to choose from 1 of 3 bad choices, if you position properly, nothing they do is going to be effective.

ObscureClockwork

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
I had to explain this to my play group the other night (most are between 1200-1400 players). Forcing someone to walk a certain distance is effectively a form of CC.

While walking, they cannot auto attack and most spells can't be cast. If someone needs to spend 1 second walking towards you before they can do stuff to you, then they're effectively CCed for that 1 second in which they are walking.

The key difference is that many players don't think of things this way. This is the reason why positioning is so important. If you don't position properly and you need to take a second to move into position after initiation, then you effectively CC yourself. That time you spent walking is time you could have been attacking or casting had you positioned yourself better.

As such, positioning abilities (both offensive and defensive) are incredibly powerful. This is why Flash is so much more popular than Ghost. Flash is an instantaneous re position while Ghost still requires you to spend time moving.

This also is why certain things like taunts are (in some cases) more effective than stuns. Not only is the victim unable to control themselves, they're forced to walk towards the person taunting them and thus being pulled further out of position. So a taunt or a grab (like Skarnar) is not just a 2 second disable. It's 2 seconds + whatever time it's going to take for them to get back into position.
also the reason why champions like orianna can be viable
the fact that orianna can use every spell on the move factors into her mobility. thats why orianna was, and still may be a annoying little bugger to lane against.

it was also a hidden reason why prenerf zyra was strong. just the low animations let her walk quite a bit more

zliplus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

This is also why a bad blitz pull can lose you the game. Forcing someone to move into you is not CC if that champ is the tank looking for an initiate, heh.