ELO system starting to count from 0

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vizzlepeez

08-21-2012

The sad thing here is u think this gets better after 1000 elo. Trolls and horrible players can be found 1200-1500 quite frequently

Treza

08-21-2012

anyone who thinks the current system is good is just plain illogical

think about whats really going on here, ill use a sort of comparison that everyone can understand

youre level 50, you play ranked against other level 50s to start with. losing makes you go down in levels and winning makes you go up. you lose some games as you gain experience and become a better player, and then work your way back up to once again play with inexperienced players!! its so flawed!!!!! why in what reality would you be paired with someone who has played 0 ranked games when youve played 500. even if you lost half of your 500 games youre still probably 3x the player the new guy is. yet somehow you sit at the same rating

i agree with op.. everyone should start at 0.. you win games you go up you lose you stay at 0. its just so ridiculous to be paired with people who have never won a ranked game when youve won 200 or even 1000+

but at the same time what if you lost 100 and then finally won 1? then youd have a rank of 1 as opposed to someone who won 9 and lost 8 also being at 1

its just seemingly so difficult to make a good ranking system in a game like this.. especially since there are so many factors that come into play that determine your skill level

JiYung

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

0 Elo would basically mean that you play like a 2 years old kid.
Literally.

Treza

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiYung View Post
0 Elo would basically mean that you play like a 2 years old kid.
Literally.
this post means you cant read. literally

JiYung

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treza View Post
this post means you cant read. literally
You can't even use "literally" properly, lol.

Agent Mist

08-22-2012

It can't start at zero because the non-serious players have to get their Elo lowered

KnightxSScarlett

08-22-2012

All of the trolls will be at 0 Elo, preventing people from going up. This doesn't change anything.

Purpleiswin

08-22-2012

Or how's about they create a little bubble in the 700-1100 range for new people to ranked, where those that were at 800 elo but have played over x ammount of matches to work there way back up won't get paired against those new to ranked players (first 20 ranked games or something) that could just drag them back down after that long climb back up.

If those new to ranked players do well, they can work their way out of this bubble early and get paired with people of their skill level, trolls and noobs will drop their elo while not effecting those that have been working hard to get their elo back up to that range and higher.

Flagrock

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRetreat View Post
That is completely incorrect. Elo was not built for LoL, it is a rating system that LoL adopted. LoL uses the Elo system as it was intended. Other games use different rating systems (like MMR in HoN), and I've never seen any game that uses a competitive rating system that starts at 0. So saying every other game uses that system is incorrect.

One major flaw with starting new players' Elo at 0 would be that 50% of the people would stay at 0 Elo. Currently all players start at the same Elo, and they fall or climb depending on their skill level. If all players started at 0, instead of going down from the starting Elo, they would just remain at 0 no matter how much they lose. Making games at 0 Elo completely random as to what skill level your teammates and enemies will be on.

I understand where you're coming from, since it can be very frustrating having new players in your game. However, the current system is designed so that if you play enough games, you will reach your true Elo. If you play 400 games and you're at 800 Elo, that is probably where you belong. I'm not saying you should win every game, I've definitely had my fair share of losing streaks, but it's always possible to climb out if you deserve to.
Just going to throw this out there WoW arenas you start at 0, changed from the 1500 start. So, yeah Blizzard (who is big enough to get their private convention sold-out within like the first 2 minutes of going live) even changed their system because it wasn't that great. Now, for WoW arenas you get a lot of points between 0-500 (you don't lose ANY rating) and slow down steadily to around the 1400-1500 mark where you gain or lose about 10-20 a game depending on difficulty.
So, this system could be easily adopted to work for LoL. I'm pretty darn sure that Blizzard knows how to design effective things, seeing WoW is going into it's 4th expansion. I'm not saying copy/paste that exact system, but a similar system would be great. I have YET to have arenas in WoW be as terrible as the LoL matchmaking system even doing the newer "battlegrounds" with PuG groups. So, yeah there are systems out there starting from 0 that are much better than the current one.

Adwims

08-24-2012

In my oppinion this would be a great change in rating system. I myself been playng wow for a long time and could say that rating system there is nearly perfect considering all other options. As Flagrock mentioned how it works i could say that it differentiates players very well you climb up the ladder from 0 untill you even up and settle in your level. It is because everyone is from same level unlike we have it here in LoL elo system. When it goes from zero every step of the ladder has its skillcap which is increasing as it should be, not this complete mess we have here.
I for one would approve this.
BUMP