ELO system starting to count from 0

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Perestukinas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

Hello everyone

I would like to suggest a new elo system, that in my oppinion would work much much better then the current one. The main negative thing with this system is that points are started to calculate from roughly 1000 at start or somethink like that. That is the main flaw of this current system, because every player who starts begins in the middle of the ladder and a)if hes a bad player or a freshly baked 30 who decides hes ready for rankeds and draggs everyone down with him, including good players that start their ranked ladder or b) hes a good player who can either go up if hes lucky to be paired with equaly good players, or he can be washed down with all the rest at the beggining of his ladder. There is another possibility when good player majority in team carries baddies, who stays in around 800-1000 elo thus increasing bad player base that lowers the chance for good players to rise up.

Another major flaw (that i endured myself) that when you are beeing brought down and start to climb up again, after some time you will unavoidably will reach that 800-1000 brackets again where you will find those bad/new players that arent ready for rankeds yet.

After first downfall it took me long time to try playing rankeds again. At first i was down to like 600 or 700 dont remember for sure now and climbed back to 1k and got that same dissapointment like i did at the start. Every game now contains a feeder/leaver/rager/troll or some other annoying player that is ruining games and 90% on purpose.

To be honest lower elos have much better players then starting bracket so WHY SHOULD IT BE HIGHER ? Its much more competative and fun then having to play with a game breaker from mentioned above and wait for yours/other team to helplessly die in agony

Starting ELO at 0 would fix these problems. Every other game uses this system and it proved to be much more reliable and flexible then the current one we have now. It wouldnt solve all problems but it would solve a lot of them. For egzample those that arent worthy of going up would stay at 0, BUT they wont drag others down with them so that they dont have to fight their way JUST TO REACH THE START

Id appreciate if you read the whole think and bump this one because for all the people i met not the 0 elo is elo hell but the 800-1000 bracket :]

To all that have doubts about this suggestion please state atleast couple reasons why current system is somewhat atleast close of beeing called better before you post your replies.

Was looking through forums and most of the posts were about current matchmaking beeing very broken, so it means it is broken for if it was good there wouldnt be that much complaints

Over and out.

KnightxSScarlett

08-20-2012

Start elo at 800-1000 would be a better fix. There's no need to play 120 games in a row without losing to get to bronze.

Perestukinas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

Thanks for editing. This is mainly for solo ques, but i guess some of it applies for groups aswell. Just had another ranked at 950 where our mid said i picked up hard counter np ill own, then he died 5 times and quit, and our adc moaned for the rest of the game to surrender and refused to play even thought we were still in the lead, tho eventualy ran out of manpower :/ both of those to guys had less then 5 wins. Its like 5th game same story now.

Trinity Minion

08-20-2012

Let's allow the possibility of negative elo!

Nisti

08-20-2012

kik

iRetreat

Recruiter

08-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perestukinas View Post
Hello everyone
Starting ELO at 0 would fix these problems. Every other game uses this system and it proved to be much more reliable and flexible then the current one we have now.
That is completely incorrect. Elo was not built for LoL, it is a rating system that LoL adopted. LoL uses the Elo system as it was intended. Other games use different rating systems (like MMR in HoN), and I've never seen any game that uses a competitive rating system that starts at 0. So saying every other game uses that system is incorrect.

One major flaw with starting new players' Elo at 0 would be that 50% of the people would stay at 0 Elo. Currently all players start at the same Elo, and they fall or climb depending on their skill level. If all players started at 0, instead of going down from the starting Elo, they would just remain at 0 no matter how much they lose. Making games at 0 Elo completely random as to what skill level your teammates and enemies will be on.

I understand where you're coming from, since it can be very frustrating having new players in your game. However, the current system is designed so that if you play enough games, you will reach your true Elo. If you play 400 games and you're at 800 Elo, that is probably where you belong. I'm not saying you should win every game, I've definitely had my fair share of losing streaks, but it's always possible to climb out if you deserve to.

Perestukinas

08-20-2012

well every time i climb to 1k-1.2k i get only ragers/feeders/leavers/trolls.
50% of ppl staying at 0 IS the point for they cant get higher. That must be their true elo as you say then it is. And when they fall they take other with them. And lets say all MMO arenas are starting at 0 at that works million times better then this.

No Ticket

08-21-2012

Thats not the way an Elo system works, google it sport

TeknoWizard

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perestukinas View Post
50% of ppl staying at 0 IS the point for they cant get higher. That must be their true elo as you say then it is. And when they fall they take other with them. And lets say all MMO arenas are starting at 0 at that works million times better then this.
I would love to see any sort of back up on this claim.

Perestukinas

08-21-2012

Check how WoW arenas work ect. noone has ever complained about matchmaking there and it has much wider playerbase, whereas 80% of LoL population complains about it....