(Champion Concept) Rumi, the Savage Chameleon

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Forfrost

08-20-2012

Note: I promise to return any reviews you give to a champion of yours as long as you leave a link.

UPDATES:
The updates section has been moved to the second post underneath the champion outline for less clutter, so instead here, I will place...
1000+ views: Thanks everyone everywhere for checking out my champion! It's definitely quite heart-warming! <3

CHAMPION
Rumi, the Savage Chameleon
Roles: Melee, Fighter, Stealth, Jungler

INTRODUCTION:
Hey guys! I've been playing League since the Leona patch, and since then I've bounced all over the place in terms of lane preference, starting as a jungler, becoming a top laner, a mid laner, until I've stuck myself into the love and joy of the support role. It's been 100% about finding that spot where I find myself having the most fun, and taking everything I've enjoyed about my experiences in the Fields of Justice, I'd like to introduce to you Rumi, a take on some of my favorite champions melded into one. Before I begin, I'd like to thank my buddy RaizeAren for helping me with some of the design. He was especially helpful in perfecting the Hide / Seek skill, which is by far my favorite aspect of the Savage Chameleon. Please feel free to comment, criticize, and give any feedback in a constructive manner. And if you do take the time to read about my friendly neighborhood chameleon, please leave a like or dislike! It's the least you can do!

Note: I have a friend working on the concept art for Rumi. No ETA, but I'm excited to see what he brews up!

DESIGN GOALS:
- Rumi is slated to play the role of a melee fighter who can catch the enemy off guard, but can survive the punishment of a team fight (not quite as well as a bruiser, but enough so that he doesn't play most like an assassin, getting in and out of the fight. He should be able to fill both roles however).
- Rumi should function primarily as a jungler, but also play capably in top lane.

LORE:
Through the years of chaos and destruction wrought by the deadly plants and monsters inhabiting the Plague Jungles, Rumi has grown to survive through thick and thin. His incredible ability to confuse his foes are seemingly unmatched. He faced his greatest challenge upon the emergence of Wukong, the Monkey King, after the destruction of the runestone. But even after Wukong had parted ways from the jungles he once conquered by his great might, the runestone's power lingered, and its inhabitants were fueled by its strength.

The lonesome Rumi struggled to find solace amongst the increasingly violent lands, and he sought to seek refuge outside its grasp, but without guidance or allies, he was pushed into a cave long lost within the forests. With no possible escape, he found himself trapped. Cornered, Rumi had no other choice but to fight his way out, and he seemingly tapped into his unknown strengths. In a miraculous effort, Rumi transformed from prey to predator, and he managed to destroy his foes one by one, and eventually pushing through the jungles and outside of its clutches.

He continued his search for greener pastures; for a place where he could live peacefully amongst others, yet with his newfound might in tow, Rumi felt an immense hunger and desire for greater challenges. His search has led him to the League, where he has found the best of both worlds that has come before him.

"I had heard your name only in rumors. And yet, here you are." Wukong, on meeting Rumi in the League.

STATS (rough outline):
Damage - 52.5 (+3.8 / per level)
Health - 435 (+ 90 / per level)
Mana - 210 (+40 / per level)
Move speed - 310
Armor - 16 (+3 / per level)
Magic resist - 30 (+1.25 / per level)
Health Regen - 7 (+0.8 / per level)
Mana Regen - 6.4 (+0.5 / per level)
Range - 150
Attack Speed - 0.653 (+3.1% / per level)

ABILITIES:
(Innate) Adaptation - Rumi gains bonus stats and changes in color based on the terrain around him.
Lane - Rumi becomes yellow and gains 6/8/10/12 armor penetration.
Jungle - Rumi becomes green and his armor and magic resists are increased by 5.5/7/8.5/10%
River - Rumi becomes blue and gains 10/15/20/25 bonus movement speed.

(Q) Impaling Strike - Rumi prepares to strike with his horn. His next attack deals attack damage plus 40/65/90/115/140 (+0.4 AD) physical damage. If the attack kills a minion or neutral monster, the cooldown of this ability is reduced to 2 seconds. This ability applies on-hit effects.
Cost: 45/50/55/60/65 Mana
Cooldown: 8/7/6/5/4 seconds
Animation: Rumi lowers his head to headbutt his target for the next attack.

(W) Hide / Seek - Hide: Rumi blends in with the terrain, ignoring unit collision and granting him greatly reduced visibility for 3/3.5/4/4.5/5 seconds. He can still be hit by direct attacks in this state, and any direct damage taken 1.5 seconds after activation will break the effect. While under the effect of Blend or 3 seconds after the buff ends, Rumi can cast Seek.
Seek: Rumi targets a nearby area, marking all minions, neutral monsters, and champions within the area for 3 seconds. While enemies are marked, Rumi gains 25% bonus movement speed and deals 3/6/9/12/15% additional damage to targets that are afflicted by Seek.
Hide:
Cost: 50 Mana
Cooldown: 20/18/16/14/12 seconds
Animation: Rumi runs on all fours while the buff is active.
Seek:
Cost: 35 Mana
Range from Center of AoE: 650
Diameter of AoE: 450
Animation: Rumi points towards the area as though he's taunting the marked enemies.

(E) Prey Upon - Rumi extends his tongue to grab his prey. If it encounters an enemy unit, it will stun them briefly while he pulls them to himself. Rumi then bites his target for 70/110/150/190/230 (+0.7 AD) physical damage, healing him for 35% of the damage done.
Cost: 120/110/100/90/80 Mana
Range: 850
Cooldown: 22/20/18/16/14 seconds
Animation: Rumi bows forward slightly and then throws his tongue out in a straight line. Once his target reaches him, he will lunge forward to bite them.

(R) The Beast Within - Rumi seethes with rage, briefly changing his color to black and releasing a screech around him that deals 200/300/400 (+0.8 AP) magic damage to nearby enemy units. Each enemy champion hit by the attack is Intimidated, causing them to deal 10/20/30% less damage for the next 3 seconds.
Cost: 100/125/150 Mana
Diameter of AoE: 400
Cooldown: 140/115/90 seconds
Animation: Rumi will outstretch his arms as though he's flexing.

TIPS:
Playing As:
1. Rumi is harder to detect while amongst minions or in brushes. Use them to your advantage!
2. Seek will allow you to close the gap faster. Try to save your Prey Upon to quickly quell their escape when Seek ends.
3. Engage in team fights at the most opportune moments to maximize the damage increase from Seek and the targets affected by The Beast Within.

Playing Against:
1. Remember that Rumi's passive makes him faster or more durable in the river and jungle respectively.
2. Hide is similar to stealth, but he can be seen. Pay close attention to your surroundings.
3. Creeps can block Prey Upon to weaken his engagement or ensure your escape.

Suggested Skill Priority:
R > Q > W > E

Recommended Items:
Doran's Blade
Wriggle's Lantern
Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impaler
Guardian Angel
Last Whisper

SKILL NOTES:
(Innate)
- One of the things that really drew me to a chameleon was their ability to change colors and blend with the terrain. They have to adapt to survive, and that should be incorporated into Rumi's kit at all times.
- The base bonus stats are 6 armor pen, 5.5% armor/magic res, and 10 movement speed at level 1, ranking up at levels 6, 11, and 16.

(Q)
- The basic nuke ability. Due to his lack of AoE, I gave the strike cooldown reduction against minions and neutral monsters to help him both farm easier and speed up what would have been a slow jungle time.
- Q will reset Rumi's autoattack timer.

(W)
- This ability I feel is the most iconic to Rumi's kit. A stealth effect felt very approprite, but originally, Hide/Seek was to be a stealth that would act very similarly to Teemo's Element of Surprise, allowing him to use his second ability while under the effect of Hide. Coupled with a grab via his E, this definitely sounded much too powerful for his ganking power. Since chameleons merely camouflage, it felt alot smoother and cooler to give him an ability that makes him more difficult to detect as opposed to an actual stealth.
- Hide isn't quite a stealth, rather Rumi becomes translucent and more difficult to see, meaning that you can't necessarily see his body, but you can see white outlines that depict his shape. His health bar will be hidden while in this state as well. (08/31: Added this for clarification)
- While blending, Rumi would be vulnerable to basic attacks and targetted abilities such as Annie's Disintegrate or Pantheon's Spear Shot, however, he would be able to shrug off skill shots (Caitlyn's Piltover Peacemaker) completely. Abilities that target an area (Cho'Gath's Rupture) will deal damage to him and apply any crowd control effects, but will not break the effect. The intention is to give him a solid escape tool, but not one that makes it too difficult to kill him, considering he should be much more durable than most stealth champions.
- Rumi should be more difficult to see while amongst minions or other champions (allied and enemy alike), as well as in brushes.

(E)
- This ability functions just like Blitzcrank's Rocket Grab. While it's certainly not unique in design, it feels appropriate to have in his kit, because chameleons rely on their long tongues to catch prey for food (and since they are food, the ability deserved a heal on it as well).
- Rumi will not perform the bite if he does not grab an enemy.

(R)
- Now now, Rumi isn't just some cute chameleon running around the battlefield trying to remain undetected. If you're gonna go toe-to-toe with the Savage Chameleon, he's going to make you pay for it!
- Color changing chameleons become a darker color when angered or attempting to scare others, thus giving him a black color under his ultimate and the damage percentage debuff that follows.
- The color change will only last a few seconds after casting.

QUOTES (in progress):
Selection:
"Enough hiding. Let's go!"

Attacking:
"Only I can survive!"
"I've got my eyes on you."
"My time to shine!"
"You're finished!"

Movement:
"Let's go someplace warm."
"Shhh... gotta go!" (whispered)
"It's a jungle out here!"
"Can we visit the dragon?"
"I'm on the way."
"A great escape!"
"Onward."
"How riveting."

Death:
(Rumi screeches in pain, slowly collapsing to all fours, until he drops flat on the ground with his arms and legs spread apart)

Taunt:
"You look good enough to eat..."
"You WON'T see me coming." (becomes more opaque, yet clearly noticeable)

Joke:
"My body... is ready!" (changes into a pinkish color)

Upon using The Beast Within:
"Don't make me ANGRY!" (reference to Nunu)

Forfrost

08-20-2012

UPDATES:
09/10/2012: Fixed some minor grammar issues; clarified how Rumi receives bonus stats via Seek.
09/07/2012: Recommended items added; clarifications on skill ratios added. Concept art in progress.
09/01/2012: Death quote included; added ability animations; damage nerfs to Q and R based on feedback.

Quote:
(Q)Impaling Strike - Rumi apparently hid a sixth rank of Impaling Strike in his pocket, which has since been removed. Technically speaking, the damage of the attack has been lowered!
(R)The Beast Within - Damage scaling of ranks 2 and 3 reduced to 100, from 125.
08/31/2012: Changes to Innate, Q, W, and R in terms of scaling and costs based on feedback.
Quote:
(Innate)Adaptation - Now levels up a fourth time at level 16. All base stats buffed from their previous level 1 numbers to be more noticeable early; armor pen and movement speed buffed slightly in general; armor/magic resist still caps at 10%.
(Q)Impaling Strike - Now applies the cooldown reduction upon killing the minion or neutral monster.
(W)Hide / Seek - Mana costs increased
(R)The Beast Within - Mana costs now scale with level, up to 150.
08/27/2012: Quotes completed; added quote to Lore.
08/24/2012: Clarified the tooltip on Impaling Strike; slight change to the functionality of Prey Upon so that Rumi deals damage after the grab.
08/23/2012: Another few quotes added.
08/22/2012: Additional quotes added; changed the Selection quote.
08/21/2012: Lore added!
08/20/2012: Hide now has a 1.5 seconds grace period to prevent it from immediately breaking.

LegionofArcana

08-20-2012

updated

SephirothWontDie

08-20-2012

he sounds like it would be interesting to play. id definitely like to see how he would play out in the league. hide seems slightly up, make so that at least for 1 second after using Hide, damage does not break the effect. that would help out when a ranged could be chasing you through a minion wave, you can throw them off by being able to walk through the minions, and they get stopped or slowed by them. it would also make for effective infiltration. you could be getting hit through a wave of minions, then you hide and run through them real quick before breaking the effect. other than that, he seems really cool.
return the review? http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2488899

Forfrost

08-20-2012

I'd agree with your suggestion. In theory, I was thinking that him being able to remain in his blend too long would make him far too durable, as I don't want Rumi to be a true assassin, but more of a mix between that and a bruiser (along the lines of Fizz's power), but I do think he should be able to remain within what I want to be his most iconic ability for longer than it would allow.

P.S - I commented on your champion you mentioned in response. thank you

Forfrost

08-20-2012

Bumpity bump

Forfrost

08-20-2012

le bumpity bump!

Forfrost

08-21-2012

Lore has been added! Let me know what you think!

bumpitybump!

hippy9090

08-21-2012

This champ sounds amazing! I would love to see this be actually made!

Forfrost

08-21-2012

I do thank you hippy! <3

12345 ... 6