Trinity Force or Hextech Gunblade?

Trinity Force 51 60.71%
Hextech Gunblade 33 39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Jax: Triforce or Gunblade first?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SD Rykeeen

08-20-2012

I've been playing quite a lot of Jax in ranked lately yet I haven't really got in to depth with which one you should build first.

Hextech Gunblade early:
-Spell Vamp and Lifesteal provide longer laning.
-Damage makes trading hurt the opponent harder.
-Active effect makes ganks more sufficient and ensures kills.
-Gives more MR and Armor for ultimate.

Trinity Force early:
-More sustain in 1v1 because of hp.
-Attack speed activates ultimate earlier.
-Passive procs with Empower(More Burst damage)
-AAs have a chance to slow.
-Gives movement speed and crit chance.
-Gives less MR and Armor for ultimate.

Which one?

Klaxius

08-20-2012

Tri-force for sure. If you build any part of the gunblade, build the cutlass first and then don't upgrade it until LATE. Tri+cutlass+tanky=you beast. Tri+gun=lot-o-dmg squishmaster. Go for option 1.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

Triforce is my recommendation. You can always get a vamp scepter for 450g which gives you decent sustain. Empower does add magic dmg, but doenst convert your AD to magical unlike poppy, so a good leapstrike plus autoattack plus empower reset still gives a modest health boost.
1200g more gets you the Revolver which adds the spell vamp.

The triforce is just really efficient and jax can use all the stats to great advantage and takes good advantage of the damage booster and onhit slow proc. Movespeed boost is quite valuable too. Even the AP is useful. There really arent any wasted stats. Also, the triforce is a lot more efficient than its component parts unlike gunblade.

Gunblade is strong and all but after nerfs its just not THAT efficient. You shouldnt need 3800g item just for sustain.

PiplupFtw

08-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Rykeeen View Post
I've been playing quite a lot of Jax in ranked lately yet I haven't really got in to depth with which one you should build first. I usually take gunblade first.

Hextech Gunblade early:
-Spell Vamp and Lifesteal provide longer laning.
-Damage makes trading hurt the opponent harder.
-Active effect makes ganks more sufficient and ensures kills.
-Gives more MR and Armor for ultimate.

Trinity Force early:
-More sustain in 1v1 because of hp.
-Attack speed activates ultimate earlier.
-Passive procs with Empower(More Burst damage)
-AAs have a chance to slow.
-Gives movement speed and crit chance.
-Gives less MR and Armor for ultimate.

Which one should I get first?
I say Trinity Force. Think of it like how Gunblade is sort of like a Bloodthirster for Jax, and most carrys don't rush bloodthirster :P A vamp sceptor should be good fine for sustain

Jesot

08-20-2012

Alternate question... I've been building Wriggles before either of these. Should I stop doing that?

SD Rykeeen

08-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesot View Post
Alternate question... I've been building Wriggles before either of these. Should I stop doing that?
Build Wriggles against hard AD like Riven, Garen, Darius. etc.
The active for wriggles is good for escaping (placing a ward over a wall and leap striking to it), but most of the times you should rush Triforce/Gunblade because they cost a **** ton but the stats are so worth it.

Judas Priest

08-20-2012

Boots / 3 pots
Cloth Armor
Berserker's grieves
Lantern
Bilgewater (it helps me chase better)
Sheen
Phage

I usually do this initial sequence, but it depends on the match for me to decide if I'll build trinity or hextech first. (Though I voted Trinity)

Amoc

08-20-2012

Gunblade is a LOT better. The way Gunblade progresses in terms of effectiviness for Jax is SO much faster. Even just building PART of it provides significant dps and sustain increases, whereas Trinity Force builds slowly and doesn't start to shine until you're nearing its completion. You can't match Bilgewater Cutlass in terms of value for similar investment into Trinity Force. After that, upgrading it into Gunblade is just a no-brainer.

The only thing that really shines from Trinity Force, IMO, is Sheen. It's a great item for him but it unfortunately builds into Triforce, which costs too much and doesn't scale enough for him. Also, since Frozen Mallet is just so amazingly good on him, building Triforce is even less worth it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

He is right that Triforce takes significant investment though even the components aren't bad. Phage gives 18 AD, 180health which is cost-effective, plus the snare.
Sheen gives mana which isn't quite so useful later, but nice early. AP is alright, but the real bonus is the proc of course.
Zeal gives the movespeed boost plus AS plus crit, which isnt as useful early game. Its the bottom-feeder item of the lot.

But from there for 300g you get a LOT of benefits.
18 to 30 AD, 6 to 12% movespeed, 20 to 30% AS, 50% better sheen proc, 70 health, 50 mana, 8 to 15% crit, 20 to 30 AP... thats thousands of gold worht of of stats for 300 gold.

And as mentioned, you can buy parts of gunblade as needed and get by. A completed gunblade isn't really THAT amazing. You get about 15% efficiency bonus.
Bilgewater costs 1825, gives 1925g of stats plus the slow-nuke.
Gunblade itself costs 3700g and provides about 4400g of stats, plus slownuke.

KaiSong

08-21-2012

Wriggles is a good item early if your top is physical based, And also remember that if you shove your lane out, your team will have better dragon ability with the passive, and if you ward the enemy top jungle you can roam around and steal wolves/large golem etc, even red or blue if youre baller enough to get enemy timers and know youre safe in taking it.