Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

☆ A Guide To Tribunal: Judicial Handbook ☆

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JohnnyOmega

08-19-2012

SECTION INDEX

I. I'VE HIT LEVEL 20. NOW WHAT?

II. WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?
III. THE TYPES OF VIOLATIONS THAT ARE REPORTED
IV. WHAT IS OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE? HOW CAN SUMMONER NAMES BE OFFENSIVE?
V. TIPS FOR JUDGING ON TRIBUNAL
VI. FIVE EXAMPLES OF BAN-WORTHY PLAYERS

A Guide To Tribunal (Main Thread)

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2068259

I. WHAT IS TRIBUNAL?

II. WHAT IS THE SUMMONER'S CODE?
III. THE PROCESS
IV. I'M HAVING PROBLEMS RELATED WITH TRIBUNAL. HOW DO I CONTACT RIOT ABOUT THIS?
V. DISCUSSIONS OF INTEREST

A Guide To Tribunal: Trivia And Wisdom

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2493800

I. HOW PLAYERS GET BANNED OUTSIDE OF THE TRIBUNAL
II. LEAVER BUSTER
III. FUN FACTS ABOUT TRIBUNAL

IV. NOTABLE MYTHS ABOUT TRIBUNAL

V. MEMORABLE QUOTES

I. I'VE HIT LEVEL 20. NOW WHAT?

To start:

1. Go to the Tribunal page.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/Tribunal

2. OR just go straight to the Tribunal Acceptance page.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/tribunal/acceptance

3. Go over the tips they give on the acceptance page and scroll down to the bottom to find the tab that you click to begin.

☆ If you have trouble accessing the Tribunal system upon reaching level 20, a common solution is to log out of the forums and then log back in.

II. WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?

You should get a page with the following information when you begin doing Tribunal.

The Tribunal (title)

Reviewing:
Case #XXXXXXX
Total Reports: N

Pardon - Punish

Skip

(Tabs) Incident 1 - Incident 2 - Incident 3 - Incident 4 - Incident 5

Date - Game Type - Game Length - Outcome

Report Comments

1) [type of offense]
Reported by: Ally/Enemy
[comment text]

Chat Log - Filter (Allies/Enemies/All)

Players [on accused's team]

[champ level] - [champ pic + name] - Spells - Gear - Gold - Minions Killed

III. THE TYPES OF VIOLATIONS THAT ARE REPORTED

1. Unskilled Player - This is not a violation that appears in Tribunal. This type of violation is not a crime but an opinion rating that is used to determine match ups in future games. If a player performs poorly (i.e. dying a lot in the match) but seemed to at least be trying to cooperate or play well, then this should be selected in a report.

2. Intentional Feeding - This violation is the result of a player purposely causing his/her champion in the game to die, usually multiple times. An example of this is a player making his/her champion run directly into enemy champions or turrets without any intention to fight them (resulting in a one-sided suicidal exchange).

3. Negative Attitude - This violation usually occurs when a player makes negative remarks in chat about his/her allies or the progress of the match. This can include complaining about how poorly oneself or an ally is performing, or saying that the match has been lost before it is over. Repeatedly putting up the surrender vote window when the rest of the team is still trying to win can also be considered "negative attitude". Asking for advice or giving genuine tips without insulting remarks would be the reasonable act in a bad situation but code violators tend to treat others poorly instead, thus being marked for "negative attitude". Poor sportsmanship could fall under "Negative Attitude", in which the code violator points out the enemy team's failures unnecessarily or accuses them of cheating when they have not done so.

4. Verbal Abuse - This violation is usually the result of repeatedly teasing other players beyond the limits of playful ribbing. Throwing insults around and making fun of others is often seen in these cases. Insults towards one's own teammates tend to be less tolerated than insults towards an opposing team. Poor sportsmanship could fall under "Verbal Abuse", in which the code violator makes fun of the enemy team for performing poorly or losing a match.

5. Offensive Language - This violation is the result of the violator using offensive words and/or making lewd (often overly sexual and/or violent) comments. Offensive words are typically words that dehumanize/insult people based on race, ethnicity, gender, ***, skin color, religion, or sexual preference. Even if the offensive words are not used in the context of insulting people, they are not welcome in the game because they can offend people regardless of context. The language filter's existence is no excuse for the use of hate language. This violation is a violation of its own apart from verbal abuse because of the offensive nature of certain words and comments even when they are not used to directly insult a person.

Death threats, even in jest, could potentially be confirmed as offensive language. The severity could vary wildly from case to case.

6. AFK/Leaver - This violation is the result of the violator either disconnecting from the match or remaining in the match without playing ("Away From Keyboard&quot. The disconnection is usually reported if the leaver left for most or all of the match.

7. Spamming - This violation is the result of the violator repeatedly posting in chat in a way that can distract the team or take fun away from the match. This is often done in the form of words that have nothing to do with communication, such as babbling or saying the same words over and over again. Repeated unwarranted pinging on the map could also be considered an act of spamming.

8. Inappropriate Name - This violation is the result of the violator using a summoner name on his/her account that contains either offensive words or words referring to lewd or violent behavior (often references to sexual acts).

IV. WHAT IS OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE? HOW CAN SUMMONER NAMES BE OFFENSIVE?

Offensive language is language that make others uncomfortable or evokes a negative response in others.

This sort of language is often in the form of slurs that dehumanize people based on gender, ethnicity, color, disability, disease, or sexual orientation.

Disgusting references to lewd behavior or reproductive organs also fall into the category of offensive language. In addition, jokes that refer to lewd behavior or reproductive organs are not funny to everyone and can offend/disgust others.

Summoner names can be offensive by including such language in them. A summoner name can be offensive even if the reviewer is not themselves offended by the name.

If you find an unusual or unfamiliar word in a case and you suspect it might be offensive but are not sure, you can try opening a new tab on your browser to do an internet search on that word. It might help to reference the terms "racial slur", "ethnic slur", or "hate language".

The most commonly seen dehumanizing offensive words (on the NA server at least) are usually spelled with the following letters in first and last places (some might change the spelling or number of letters to try and get around this but you'll have to use your common sense on that). These words dehumanize people based on race, gender, and sexual preference and can offend regardless of intent or context. Keep in mind they are not the only words that can do so, just the ones most commonly seen and punished on NA Tribunal.

"c--t, n----r, n-g, f----t, f-g"

NOTE: If you do not recognize these words or if you're not sure, then you can either skip the case, or do an internet search on slurs and hate language. Here is a little help to figure out what they are though.

"c--t" - a word that primarily describes the female genitalia, and is widely regarded as vulgar - this word has been used to discriminate against and dehumanize women

"n----r, n-g" - a word that has been used to discriminate against and dehumanize dark-skinned people

"f----t, f-g" - a word that has been used to discriminate against and dehumanize homosexual males

V. TIPS FOR JUDGING ON TRIBUNAL

1. Don't feel guilty about hitting the Punish button. The first level of punishment is a simple warning mailed from the game system. Giving a second chance is already built into the system. No need to give the violator a third, fourth, or fifth chance.

2. Summoners that report may select the wrong violation for which the accused violator is guilty of (if guilty at all). If you find any instance of guilt for any violation in any of the games that the accused is reported in, then you should click Punish. You are expected to click Punish for a guilty violator even if he/she is innocent of the violation reported IF the violator is guilty of another type of violation.

3. A good way to identify violators (sometimes, not all the time) is to look at their equipment. For example, building nothing but a full line of boots or Phantom Dancers is a definite sign of "trolling".

4. You do not judge based on weighing all the good games shown in a case versus the bad games shown in a case. You judge based on whether you find any instance of violating the Summoner's Code in any of the games shown in a case. If our judgment were based on both good games and bad games weighed against each other, then it could be easily abused by violators setting up premades or custom games and having their friends on these games "wrongfully report" them to build up a fake "good reputation".

5. If you feel that a word(s) used or summoner name could be offensive but it doesn't seem all too offensive to you, take the following into consideration: If you were to repeatedly speak the words in front of strangers with little children and their parents present, would it be likely in many or most cases that any of those parents would be angry or upset with you? If yes, then that is a definite PUNISH.

6. Skip is always a viable choice if it seems hard to judge a case. The case will continue floating until the accused does something more obvious in a future incident or until a Tribunal member with a more experienced eye figures out an accurate verdict. NOTE: Skip uses up one of your allotted cases for the day (for now).

VI. FIVE EXAMPLES OF BAN-WORTHY PLAYERS

An example of five types of violators that would get reported (and probably punished) in a game.

CAST

Summoner #1 - The incredible feeder. (Intentional Feeding)

Summoner #2 - The verbal offender. (Offensive Language)

Summoner #3 - The noobilicious adonis. (Verbal Abuse)

Summoner #4 - The incoherent babbler. (Spamming)

Summoner #5 - The raging hulk. (AFK/Leaver, Negative Attitude)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summoner #1: I MID OR I FEED!!!

Summoner #2: Lol.

Summoner #3: Noob.

Summoner #4: umakansjskssiehfiuhf

Summoner #5: %$#&ing trolls.

Announcement: Welcome To Summoner's Rift!

Summoner #1: LET'S GOGOGOGOGO!!!

Summoner #2: SECOND MID!!!

Summoner #3: THIRD MID!!!

Summoner #4: FOURTH MID!!!

Summoner #5: Are you %$#&ing kidding me? You dumb %$#&s!!! Get to your right lanes!

Summoner #3: Noob. All mid level 1 push is the new meta.

Summoner #3: Noob.

Summoner #2: /all **** my **** you ****s!!!

Summoner #5: Oh come on!!! WTH!!!

Summoner #4: reiuhgiuguia panties wggeigigigiu

Announcement: First Blood! (An Ally Has Been Slain!)

Summoner #5: %$#&

Summoner #1: /all TURRET OP

Summoner #3: /all What a bunch of noobs. My team sucks.

Summoner #4: ewiuogehieug

Announcement: An Ally Has Been Slain!

Summoner #2: /all Yo mama hit me harder than that when [censored].

Summoner #3: Lol. Noob. Get some map awareness.

Summoner #3: This noob dying so easily and feeding. What a noob.

Summoner #5: Stfu. You just fed too.

Summoner #3: Noob team can't support. Ended up being 1v2. Noobs. Your fault I die.

Summoner #1: TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Summoner #5: %$#& this.

Announcement: A Summoner Has Disconnected!

Summoner #4: sgigsggeius

Summoner #4: SGGSEGTEWWE

Summoner #4: soseghiuieghi

Summoner #4: FBAEAERBER

Summoner #4: huehue

Summoner #2: /all GG. [censored]

Summoner #3: …..

Summoner #3: …..

Summoner #3: Noobs.

JohnnyOmega

08-19-2012

[reserved]

JohnnyOmega

08-19-2012

[reserved]

Shyhalu

08-19-2012

I hate to break it to you...but all that you just wrote up is meaningless because you vote to punish based on whether or not you would want to play with the person being reported.

Lyte said so himself.

JohnnyOmega

09-08-2012

Quote:
Shyhalu:
I hate to break it to you...but all that you just wrote up is meaningless because you vote to punish based on whether or not you would want to play with the person being reported.

Lyte said so himself.

Would you want to play with a player that hinders or even breaks up team cooperation because he/she was committing violations such as the ones that have been categorized?

Even if you don't mind the behavior of the reported player, there's no guarantee that others won't, and recognizing the ways in which others can be put off by the reported player can save you or someone else from a potentially bad match in the future.

Understanding whether or not you would want to play with the person being reported, in a game that requires more than just your own tolerance towards that person, can be more complicated if any desire to win consistently exists within you.

Find out what the community dislikes in general even if you're okay with it, and punish accordingly so that you don't end up surrendering in a match with a problem player on your team that you might have originally thought was okay to play with when you saw him/her in Tribunal.

The dynamics of team morale have to come into consideration when you decide whether you want to play with a reported person because that reported person could ruin your fun by pissing off the other players on the team with less tolerance than you have.

Algol1

10-17-2012

I was laughing as I read the example.

Softfrost

Recruiter

10-29-2012

Quote:
Summoner #1: /all TURRET OP

Lol

Pastoulio

10-29-2012

@johnnyomega

Seriously, you have one stickied thread on the subject, and that is literally everything that needs to be said about the system. People already understand the difference between tribunal infractions, but will ultimately just punish anything they don't like, and this varies from person to person. Feeding, afks, racism, griefing should be unanimously punished, but verbal abuse/language might not offend some folks as much as others.

But most people will punish anyway.

At any rate, you need to stop making starred guides about common sense issues. Nobody cares and you're just wasting effort.

Alfirinestel

10-29-2012

Quote:
Pastoulio:
@johnnyomega

Seriously, you have one stickied thread on the subject, and that is literally everything that needs to be said about the system. People already understand the difference between tribunal infractions, but will ultimately just punish anything they don't like, and this varies from person to person. Feeding, afks, racism, griefing should be unanimously punished, but verbal abuse/language might not offend some folks as much as others.

But most people will punish anyway.

At any rate, you need to stop making starred guides about common sense issues. Nobody cares and you're just wasting effort.

I disagree with you Pastoulio. I think JohnnyOmega is doing great with a guide such as this. And I believe your evidence for "not" caring and how the Tribunal works is false because it's based on your generalizations and opinions. It's rather relative much like your "absolute" thoughts on how relative people's judgement are. It appears to me, given, you're wasting your time being toxic and criticizing someone who really desires to help build a better community. JohnnyOmega needs not do anything and these are not common sense issues, and you can never stop "reiterating" what's good. There are players that just might need it.

Saint Latona

02-23-2013

This needed to be necroed. I lost it at the end of the example.