Dorans shield / Doran's blade / Boots + 3 pots

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Judas Priest

08-19-2012

Which one to pick? When to pick each one? What are the pros and cons?

iDpark

08-19-2012

Dorans Item < Boots +3
For me at least.

I like the mobility and it's more forgiving if you make a mistake in lane. (More hp.)

For champs with sick regen, dorans items are nice. (or in the case of AD carries, if you have a healing partner.)

FaerellG

08-19-2012

Boots+3: your standard sustain option. Move speed is a good overall ability that can be used to advance or retreat. Having higher move speed is good over all.

Doran's Items: they're high efficiency early-mid game items.

Doran's Blade: generally only bought on AD carries. Extra HP, damage and Life steal will ensure that you win trades against an opposing AD who doesn't have a Doran's blade. The trick of course, is getting to trade with them. An opponent with Boots+3 will have the advantage in choosing when to trade.

Doran's Shield: usually bought by bruisers in top lane. HP, Armor, and HP regen. Helps you survive, and sustain in lane

Generally, you buy boots+3 if you plan on doing your usual routine of farming up and poking occasionally.

You often buy a Doran's item if you feel the need for early game power for any reason. Usually, the reasons are:
1. You feel that you can't win or can't avoid trades.
2. You want to make early aggressive plays and trade aggressively.

LarcyBrown

08-19-2012

Boots + 3 pots ALWAYS. the reason why is simple.
The doren item will be useful if you go ALL OUT lvl 1 or lvl 2 and kill your opponent in lane.
You failed to kill your opponent? they manage to retreat back to their towers and ignite didnt kill em?
GG your below half hp or worse.They use 2 pots there back full hp and they can kill you right off the bat or harrass you non stop or denied you hardcore.YOU WILL HAVE to recall then or get killed and they wont.You will be 1 or 2 lvl behind when u go back in lane and of course u didnt have any money to buy nothing.
Of course do take into account sometimes people dunno what to do with a lead and will mess up but you can set urselrf way behind in a sololane with a doren item is my point.

Cenerae

08-19-2012

You never start with a doran's shield or blade. Entering lane with no potions means you're going to get harrassed right out of it. The only exception is if you're laning with a Soraka who can provide the sustain for you, but even then you're taking a mobility hit, and that just may not be worth giving up.

Boots and 3 potions is good offensively and defensively, and gives you a fair amount of lane sustain. If you want Doran items, buy them on your first trip back to base.

For comparison's sake, let's say you come to lane with a Blade, and I come to lane with boots and 3 potions. You do 10 more damage a hit, and have 80 more hp than I do. I can outrun you (this is huge, by the way), and the potions give me what amounts to an effective 450 bonus health. Which of us will come out ahead if we exchange hits? Unless you can manage to burst me right down from full to dead (unlikely, without jungler aid - except if I'd started with a blade over boots I'd be just as dead anyway), you're going to be recalling before I do.

As for the shield...it is in general, a poor item choice. Better to start with a cloth armor and 5 potions if you want early armor, because that nets you a metric ton of sustain to start out with, whereas the shield offers only a trickle.

AlexDnD2

08-19-2012

Ashe with Dorans blade + agressive lane partner like Leona can work. But its risky. The extra damage on crit and arrow then attack combined with ignite and Leona E could kill someone off the bat. And even if they do escape they probably did zilch to you.

NewRelicspet

08-20-2012

Worth mentioning with all this said is, that if you do not have proper runes for the said character, going with dorans blade/shield can be a good idea. For instance if you are an adc but with no runes to buff your attackdamage, and you go with boots and 3 pots and are facing an enemy with runes, you will find your self in a bad spot. Rather just go with the dorans blade and then be carefull, besides... As adc you do have a heal and flash, so you won't easily go down as you also got some bonus hp and lifesteal which the oponent doesn't have.

Grogin Teras

08-22-2012

I think, if you are solo top, a Doran's Shield can be extremely beneficial. This is due to the added health and hp regen, which can be important early game, especially when solo and you can't affort to recall as often as a two person lane team. I only use Doran's Blade on characters like Warwick or Nasus who have passive life steal, and I rarely use it even then.

AlphariusRising

08-22-2012

Imo a Doran's start is only good on champs with a very very strong early game, with innate sustain, or on an ADC with a Taric or Alistar or something where you can kill the enemy early.

KaiSong

08-22-2012

I only take dorans shield top if my character scales off he stats well or if the enemy I know is heavy physical, such as if im playing shen, or vlad against riven, etc.