Is being a main support bad?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Support Fer Days

08-18-2012

Hello, I was wondering. Is only playing support bad? When I first started this game I used soraka as a free champ and then bought her later on. It has been all the way up to level 29 that I havn't played a single champ that isn't support. Main 3 (Soraka, Alistar, Blitzcrank) does this make me bad or pretty valuable in a team.

Things you should know.
1. Almost always have under 5 Deaths in a game.
2. Get 15+ assists in losses.
3. Get 20+ assists in Wins (most I've ever had was 47)
4. I am only level 29 with 140 wins.
5. Good or bad? :x

TeknoWizard

08-18-2012

Play what you like. Besides, it's a pretty cool feeling to get the role you want 99.9% of the games you play in.

Cenerae

08-18-2012

There's absolutely nothing wrong with maining supports. I do as well.

It can be incredibly frustrating when you get a team that no matter how hard you support you just can't make work, but it's also incredibly rewarding when you get teams that work together properly.

However, I do suggest trying out the other roles. Even if you have no intent to play those roles much, you'll be able to better understand the other roles in a team, and what individual champions are properly capable of.

As far as kills deaths and assists go...they aren't important. What's important is that you do your job. If you happen to die a lot doing that job properly...then you're a good support. If that means you're out of comission for fights and don't get many assists...who cares?

Your job? To support your team. You might die off first. That's fine. As long as it wasn't a bad death (like being caught out of position), then it doesn't matter in the least. If you ran away and recalled because you were low health, just because you didn't want to take the death, that's bad. You should be skirting the edge of the fight and doing what you're able to do without being caught doing it.

Anyway. Yes. Go ahead and main support. You're not the only one out there that likes the 'boring' role. Just try to broaden your fields a bit so you better understand the team's needs.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2012

Learning other roles will make you better at support.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2012

A support must know how other champions work in order for them to be more effective, if you are purely playing supports then most likely you do not have enough knowledge about other champions, either on the enemy team or on your team.

Examples:
Soraka's armor buff on Rammus = even faster jungle speed (really useful when they are doing buff)
Blitzcrank's silence can be really important at stopping enemy spell combo (such as champion like Ryze, Leblanc, or Veigar)
Taric's armor buff with Aegis is crazy good against physical heavy team.

Support Fer Days

08-18-2012

And yes, I am doing my job well I guess. Most times I die because I ither:
A. Run at the opposing team to sacrifice myself to stall the enemy team from getting more kills on us (always works)
B. Staying in at low amounts of health healing team mates before myself (team before me)
C. Get completely raped while I go ward the jungles and river xD

CapriciousXII

08-18-2012

hey man, support are the real carries of bot lane =P

Jesot

08-18-2012

I'd probably say that if I main anything, it's support. I try to play everything equally, and when I have to go back to support, I'm just better at it even (especially?) when I haven't done it in awhile. I look at myself as a carry when I'm support. I'm winning the game with wards, lane control, timely cc, and keeping the other team's maulers off my DPS.

tiburon5

08-18-2012

Support is actually a GREAT thing to main, most people prefer another role so if you go into ranked and say you wanna play support its very rare anyone will object. Just make sure you really know your role (in particular, warding early game and getting g/10s instead of trying to cs)

Powerstoned

08-18-2012

The Pros: When you have all 5 teammates working together, a great support is awesome and can really boost the team. Maybe 10% of people playing even want to take the support role unless they are duo que'ed with a buddy on bottom lane, so mastering a support or 3, provides an in-demand service.

Con(s): If one of your teammates sporadically afk's or is simply falling behind, especially if it's one of your team's main damagers, you'll really wish you weren't the 0 cs support. afk/leavers happens, so prepare for it. I look at it like this:
4 damage dealers + 1 afk > 3 damage dealers + 1 support + 1 afk
(and if it's a 4v5 situation, you don't want 1 of the 4 to be unable to kill champs on their own)

Support is my best role myself, but if you're trying to really rise in elo, that requires you to make the biggest impact possible on your team -consistently-, and the best position to do that from is a "carry" position that scales atleast somewhat decently late game. If you could guarantee that you'd NEVER have a leaver/afk/disconnector on your team, I'd be all for maining support for ranked, but you can't so I wouldnt' recommend that for for consistent winning. Even though my highest win rate is with Janna, Taric and Soraka, if and when my adc partner's play craps out midway through the game, all I can do at that point is maintain the lane and my health and my team's damage output takes a huge hit, because i'm underfarmed as the support, and supports generally have little scaling in the abilities and a lack of burst to put 1 or 2 champs down in a fight.