"Skill Ceiling?"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lady Mai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2012

I've heard this term a few times before, mostly pertaining to Elo Hell and such, but...

1. What is a skill ceiling?
2. How do you discover your skill ceiling?
3. How do you break your skill ceiling?

Kyrrion

08-18-2012

1. It means the point where you literally cannot perform any better at something, in League's case a champion. This is the point where every play you make with your champ is flawless in the current situation you're in. Different champs have different skill ceilings as some have kits that are more intricate and complex. Anivia, high skill ceiling. Dem walls will make or break a game, and using one incorrectly will lose you games.

2. It's pretty much impossible to determine whether you've hit it or not. You need to be able to watch yourself and think "what could I have done better?".

3. You don't. If you "break it" you didn't actually hit it.

Torin Wayfayer

08-18-2012

In player skill, a skill ceiling is basically the top half of your true elo range.
You discover your skill ceiling (still referring to player skill) by playing tons and tons and TONS of games, then basically when you're on a win streak.
You break your skill ceiling by improving as a player and usually having a revelation that increases your skill enough to have a tangible increase on your skill level (and therefore your elo/skill ceiling)

Notobilis Caedo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2012

You can't hit the skill ceiling because you can "always improve."

Lady Mai

08-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrrion View Post
1. It means the point where you literally cannot perform any better at something, in League's case a champion. This is the point where every play you make with your champ is flawless in the current situation you're in. Different champs have different skill ceilings as some have kits that are more intricate and complex. Anivia, high skill ceiling. Dem walls will make or break a game, and using one incorrectly will lose you games.

2. It's pretty much impossible to determine whether you've hit it or not. You need to be able to watch yourself and think "what could I have done better?".

3. You don't. If you "break it" you didn't actually hit it.
I'm pretty sure it can be broken. If you're stuck at 1200 Elo for 200 games, then learn something new and jump up to 1400 and stay there (or even climb higher) I'm pretty sure you broke it.

bunny milkshake

08-18-2012

Skill Ceiling, simply put, is the investment you'll need to put in in order to use that Champion to their absolute best. It is extremely hard to know for an absolute fact what it is at.

Nerfed Eve had the highest skill ceiling in the game.
It took me around 400 games to finally master her.
At that point she was completely hilariously absurdly fun to play.

I only discover my skill ceiling only when a new idea comes up. Try it? Yup, I can absorb Ashe ults while I'm stealthed for my allies.

Communist Poppy

08-18-2012

It's pretty simple. Skill floor is the basic skill needed to function with the champion. Skill ceiling is the skill required to utilize the champion to their fullest and play them out perfectly.

Someone like Ashe has a low skill floor, but a high skill ceiling. Someone like Orianna has a high skill floor and ceiling.

Notobilis Caedo

08-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiLinna View Post
I'm pretty sure it can be broken. If you're stuck at 1200 Elo for 200 games, then learn something new and jump up to 1400 and stay there (or even climb higher) I'm pretty sure you broke it.
Not really, it just means you weren't at your skill ceiling when you "thought" you were.

Kyrrion

08-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiLinna View Post
Alright, I'm horrible with words so I don't think I explained it quite right in my first post.

That is not breaking the skill ceiling. That's you just improving. You are still making mistakes, there are still ways you can improve on yourself. ELO is completely irrelevant to your skill ceiling (especially since this is a team game). Being at the skill ceiling means you are 100% in every situation, no matter what. Imagine last hitting every minion without fault, THAT is the skill ceiling. Going up to 5 minions per wave on average from 4 per wave is not breaking your skill ceiling, it's just an improvement.

Doctor Swole

08-18-2012

draven has a super high skill ceiling